What books, dvds, tapes, are the best condifications of street-applicable martial arts?

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was listening to an interview recently about violence and street-fighting, and the interviewee was discussing some moves he liked, and mentioned the variety of cultures and systems they came from-- Japan, the Philippines....

Which got me thinking: what are the best available codifications for street-fighting and weapons, that are regionally endemic? What's the "Defendo" and "Get Tough" of the Philippines, Japan, China, etc. ?

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
In America, Raging Bull, Rocky, Saving Private Ryan, Sands of Iwo Jima, almost anything Dirty Harry…

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't say a system for a whole country but 2 kind of fit the description. Jkd: street safe by Paul vunak is a good tape, it's basically a Condensed version of jkd for self defense his rat series is good too but is a bit more in depth. Bjj: gracie combatives , it's basically self defense bjj no flashy techniques just the things you need to defend yourself I also hear Burton Richardson bjj for the streets is good too. But if I had a training partner to drill this stuff outside of class I'd go for silat for the street it seems like a good answer for thug defense, times are changing or already have and now everyone pretty much has seen ufc, silat for the street will give you some techniques and strategies not fit for mma but they might level the playing field a bit against a person who's a better grappler than you on the street. I have the book for the silat but would love the videos but a bit our of my budget. Oh crap just saw you said codified and not condensed well let's say jkd, bjj, and silat I answered but I ldk what styles would represent a whole nation but the basics of those styles are in some of the media I listed.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't say a system for a whole country but 2 kind of fit the description. Jkd: street safe by Paul vunak is a good tape, it's basically a Condensed version of jkd for self defense his rat series is good too but is a bit more in depth. Bjj: gracie combatives , it's basically self defense bjj no flashy techniques just the things you need to defend yourself I also hear Burton Richardson bjj for the streets is good too. But if I had a training partner to drill this stuff outside of class I'd go for silat for the street it seems like a good answer for thug defense, times are changing or already have and now everyone pretty much has seen ufc, silat for the street will give you some techniques and strategies not fit for mma but they might level the playing field a bit against a person who's a better grappler than you on the street. I have the book for the silat but would love the videos but a bit our of my budget. Oh crap just saw you said codified and not condensed well let's say jkd, bjj, and silat I answered but I ldk what styles would represent a whole nation but the basics of those styles are in some of the media I listed.
I was thinking more, like the translations by Matthew Lynch.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking more, like the translations by Matthew Lynch.
Not sure if it's old enough but bruce tegner has written books on karate and ju jitsu years ago I think they came out in the 60s. Also a book I know of written in the 40s called American judo I got it on the Kindle store. Kill or get killed by Rex applegate is a must read, get tough by fairbairn ( I used a move in there in a self defense fight when I was 16, dude jumped me but I got the advantage on him, I used to bronco kick but modified it using my knees instead of feet, he was knocked out for 2 minutes and couldn't move for 30 minutes that stuff really works but be careful, the guy made It out but he had broken ribs, a 16 year old like myself at the time should never of had access to a move like that, yes it was self defense but fairbairns method isn't suitable for teenage neighborhood gang fights.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if it's old enough but bruce tegner has written books on karate and ju jitsu years ago I think they came out in the 60s. Also a book I know of written in the 40s called American judo I got it on the Kindle store. Kill or get killed by Rex applegate is a must read, get tough by fairbairn ( I used a move in there in a self defense fight when I was 16, dude jumped me but I got the advantage on him, I used to bronco kick but modified it using my knees instead of feet, he was knocked out for 2 minutes and couldn't move for 30 minutes that stuff really works but be careful, the guy made It out but he had broken ribs, a 16 year old like myself at the time should never of had access to a move like that, yes it was self defense but fairbairns method isn't suitable for teenage neighborhood gang fights.
Fairbairn is nothing new. Manuals show very slimilar stuff, hundreds of years ago.

Latest Discussions