What are the top five Bujikan books to read?

kip42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are the best Bujikan related books to read?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed Shadow Strategies Of An American Ninja Master by Glenn Morris.

Take it with a grain of salt though.

Understand? Good, Play! By Hatsumi was also very good.

ScholarsInk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed Shadow Strategies Of An American Ninja Master by Glenn Morris.

Take it with a grain of salt though.

Understand? Good, Play! By Hatsumi was also very good.
While Glenn Morris was apparently a compatent MAist, his writings are a bit crazy and his students have been known to rip kata off of other MA like the Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu and pass them off as their own.

At the very least, it should not be in the top five.

I'm not sure about order, but I think Stick Fighting and Essence of Ninjutsu are great and worth keeping on anyone's bookshelf. I've heard U? G, P! is as well, but it's been out of print since before I first heard of it.

Also, I've heard nothing but praise for Ninpo Secrets, though I have yet to purchase it myself.

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ninpo Secrets (though technically not a "Bujinkan book" is excellent!. So is History and Tradition, Ninpo: Living the Warriors Way (Jack Hoban), Ninja Secrets From the Grandmaster and of course, The Ninja and Their Secret Fighting Art, by Stephen Hayes.

ScholarsInk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"The Ninja and Their Secret Fighting Art" and "History and Tradition" are crap unless you want to learn the ways of the Hollywood golf ninjer.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I said I wasn't going to be nice....

Why?

If you're interested in the system, find a teacher and learn. Reading will give very little. Frankly right now you're coming across as someone who falls in love with Jessica Alba after seeing one of her films, and now read every magazine article with the idea that one day you will meet her, and marry her. Now, I adore Jessica, but this is not reality.

You will only really get a lot out of these books if you are actively studying, and if and when you start, that will help shape what you should look for. Right now, you're just chasing Jessica Alba.

ScholarsInk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I said I wasn't going to be nice....

Why?

If you're interested in the system, find a teacher and learn. Reading will give very little. Frankly right now you're coming across as someone who falls in love with Jessica Alba after seeing one of her films, and now read every magazine article with the idea that one day you will meet her, and marry her. Now, I adore Jessica, but this is not reality.

You will only really get a lot out of these books if you are actively studying, and if and when you start, that will help shape what you should look for. Right now, you're just chasing Jessica Alba.
Mr Parker, it sounds like you're speaking from experience there... :D

Gregh

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the best Bujikan related books to read?

Ninjutsu , History and Tradition by Masaaki Hatsumi .

Stick Fighting , Techniques of self defense by Masaaki Hatsumi and Quintin Chambers .

The way of the Ninja , Secret Techniques by Masaaki Hatsumi .

Japanese Sword Fighting , The secrets of the samurai by Masaaki Hatsumi .

Unarmed Fighting Techniques of the Samurai by Masaaki Hatsumi .

I would suggest these , to start with . They will give you a good overall picture of the technique and method of the Bujinkan . There are many others and all of them have something extra to add . If you can get them , the japanese printed weapons books are also good to get a hold of . They can still be bought in japan and I have seen them in a few bookshops in tokyo . Happy reading , greg

ScholarsInk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eh. I'd not suggest "Unarmed Fighting Techniques" to a beginner - it does not make any sense without the kuden and as such will look to the uninformed like a bunch of lists that all say the same thing.

Kage-Ronin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are you looking for in your reading? My personal favorites are;

Understand? Good! Play- Ben Cole
Essence of Ninjutsu- M. Hatsumi
The Grandmasters Book of Ninja Training- M. Hatsumi
Ninpo Wisdom for Life- M. Hatsumi
Mind of the Ninja- Kirkland C. Peterson
Ninja: Invisible Assassins- Andy Adams

Of couse your mileage may vary, usual disclaimers apply, void where prohibited, etc.

Best of Luck to you.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it's for a newbie, I don't think "Play!" and "Unarmed Fighting Techniques" would be good choices. I've found stuff of value in all of Hatsumi-soke and Hayes' books. Hoban and Daniels' books as well have useful material in them. All that said, I'd think Essence of Ninjutsu and the Grandmaster's Book of Ninja Training would be the obvious places to start. Matt

Latest Discussions