Welcome to the dojo to my niece

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My niece just graduated from high school and she's staying with us for a few weeks before heading off to her freshman year of college. Really enjoy having her, she's a neat person.

As it happens, she has done some martial arts training some years back. A bit of TKD, a bit of kick-boxing. So I asked her if she wanted to stop by the dojo where I train and give it a shot. She seemed excited to try it out, so last night she stopped by when the adult class started.

First thing, we did some warmup stretches and calisthenics, and she's in pretty good physical condition, so no problems there. Then we did some bag work. She was really throwing some powerful punches and kicks, she went all out. Not the same technique we use, much wider and lower stance, but strong. However, she tore up her hands and quickly gassed and had to sit down for awhile.

Hey, no problem, it happens a lot when people first start training, even if they have trained before.

Then we took a break and came back to work on some specific self-defense techniques, counters to punches and grabs. She was amazed to find out that we actually hit each other. Not full force of course, but we do hit and get hit. She liked it!

So on the drive home, she told me she really liked our dojo and what we do. She was shocked to see that we have men and women, young and old, many ethnic groups and even differently-abled students. She said they never did self-defense techniques in her previous training, only forms and air-punching. We do kata and punch air also, but we spar and do self-defense techniques as well.

I felt pretty good knowing that she was impressed by our training. She wants to keep coming to the dojo while she is staying with us. Super happy about that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Neat Bill. Everything I have heard about your dojo makes me wish I could find one like it where I live. I guess she won't be attending school close to your dojo?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neat Bill. Everything I have heard about your dojo makes me wish I could find one like it where I live. I guess she won't be attending school close to your dojo?

No, unfortunately not. She will be attending college at Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, MA. Looks like there are some martial arts training facilities near her campus, but I have no idea if they are any good or not. I also don't want to try to tell her what to do, but since she seemed to enjoy our dojo so much, I thought I'd ask around and see what's out there in case she wants to pursue training.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I wish her luck, but she seems like the kind of person who will do well at whatever she tries.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, unfortunately not. She will be attending college at Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, MA. Looks like there are some martial arts training facilities near her campus, but I have no idea if they are any good or not. I also don't want to try to tell her what to do, but since she seemed to enjoy our dojo so much, I thought I'd ask around and see what's out there in case she wants to pursue training.
If nothing else in her short time at your dojo, perhaps she has learned to have a critical eye and something of an education that will help her assess other schools.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My niece came by the dojo again tonight. As luck would have it, one of our students has gone on to West Point and is on the Judo team. So our sensei had her show us some Judo throws. This is my niece practicing against one of our nidans.

20621232_10212922101622288_8024515184700459006_n.jpg

20479904_10212922101942296_8895103643938381767_n.jpg

As you know, we're an Isshinryu dojo. But we'll learn and practice anything that works. Judo works. Funny thing is, our student who is at West Point told us that in her opinion, there was nothing in the footwork of Judo that she didn't learn in Isshinryu. Some of the same stances, same sweeps, same footwork. Very cool to know that!

Anyway it was a great night. So fun having a new student (even if she's temporary) and seeing that she is really enjoying herself doing what I love to do. Just wanted to share.

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's awesome. College can be the best place to train martial arts as well.

When I was in undergrad at UVM, I was part of their TKD club and really enjoyed it.

I do not know if her school has a martial arts club but I do know that there is (was?--I'll write the head instructor to see if he still has his school there) an AMAZING TKD dojang in Beverly taught by a true Martial artist in every sense of the word. Master Michael Anthony is the real deal--super nice guy, humble, has real world experience and has been training since the '70's. You cannot find a better school or organization than the one in Beverly in my opinion.

Beverly, Ma Blue Wave

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the Blue Wave (Chungdo Kwon) Dojang is still open and operating in Beverly.

Really great place with super nice people who know that they are doing. She will not go wrong if she were to check it out.

Just have her tell them that Buck Rogers mentioned it to her. Master Anthony (Grandmaster???--He just tested for his KKW 8th Dan in Colorado last month) knows me well.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, the Blue Wave (Chungdo Kwon) Dojang is still open and operating in Beverly.

Really great place with super nice people who know that they are doing. She will not go wrong if she were to check it out.

Just have her tell them that Buck Rogers mentioned it to her. Master Anthony (Grandmaster???--He just tested for his KKW 8th Dan in Colorado last month) knows me well.

Thank you! I will pass that information along to her. Truly appreciated!

Latest Discussions