weight training and martial arts

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I just want to know how people feel about weight training in martial arts. I have seen in some books that they say it is good to go and weight train and in other books it says not to cause the time at the gym could be time spent training. How do you feel about that.

If you do train do you train for power or speed?

lets hear it people :asian:

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been going to the gym lately i have been mostly swiming and doing kicks in the pool. But when I do use weights I use low weights and do alot of like drills like 25 reps of 25 pounds.
I also am taking it light cause I am still growing.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Weight training is good to the martial artist if done right.
Train with low weight and high reps this will give you strength without the mass. I t is important for a martial artist to be strong fast and flexible, if you use weights to bulk up you will lose flexabilty and speed if you get to big.
Personally i do not use weights i get all the strength and work out i need just doing handstand push ups, regular nuckle push ups, running, swimming, squats and some ab toners like crunches or sit ups. :asian:

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Weight training is an integral part of my overall training, as is aerobic conditioning. Power and speed are very closely related. (Power = speed x mass). Though wanting to increase power is not the same as wanting to increase bulk. Most of the time, weight training will not decrease flexibility, especially if you have a good, regular stretching routine.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by DAC..florida
Weight training is good to the martial artist if done right.
Train with low weight and high reps this will give you strength without the mass. I t is important for a martial artist to be strong fast and flexible, if you use weights to bulk up you will lose flexabilty and speed if you get to big.
Personally i do not use weights i get all the strength and work out i need just doing handstand push ups, regular nuckle push ups, running, swimming, squats and some ab toners like crunches or sit ups. :asian:
That's wrong. That will give you endurance, not strength.

Middle Amount of Reps (8-12) with moderate weight is for mass

Low reps (1-4) with high weight is for strength

And no, you can't be "too" big. Too big is if you surpass your genetic limit through steroids. Everyone has a genetic limit, and that limit usually won't affect speed or flexibility. People usually lose flexibility because they stop stretching most of the time all together. Have you ever even met a IFBB bodybuilder? They're the steroid heads, yet many can do the splits. Flexibility helps the gear heads to get bigger.

But anyway, most of you can't possibly be bulky enough to lose speed. Done right, you can improve speed a lot of the times.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I actually have a thread like this, it's very current, only on the 2nd page here:
Anyone do weight training on top of MA?

I spend half of my exercise time on weight training. Strength is very important for MA. Sure if you have the right position, right distance, you can break people's joints in grappling without using a lot of strength. But to get to the perfect position, it's like tuck of wall, you need strength to get there.

Also, weight training helps the body to recover from the stress put on by the MA training.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually have a thread like this, it's very current, only on the 2nd page here:
Anyone do weight training on top of MA?

I spend half of my exercise time on weight training. Strength is very important for MA. Sure if you have the right position, right distance, you can break people's joints in grappling without using a lot of strength. But to get to the perfect position, it's like tuck of wall, you need strength to get there.

Also, weight training helps the body to recover from the stress put on by the MA training.
Gonna pump up later in my home gym. Then Bob the rubber Dummy is getting the thrashing of his life 🤣

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
this is good for a home gym. got one myself. saves a lot of space & money.

I so wish I can put one in my home. I have other hobbies, I already took up one room for it already. Big BOSS will NEVER allow me to take up another room. The only way for me is to build a 3rd car garage and use it for workout with air conditioning and carpet.

But at my age(69), I can feel my strength is going down even when I was in the gym. 10 years ago, I could bench a few reps of 225lbs. When the shutdown 3 years ago, I could only do 185lbs. So at this point, elastic band is just as good already. More than anything, it's not the equipment, it's how one does the weights. It's is NOT as complicate as MA on technique, BUT it's not blindly pushing the weight. One still needs to know different ways, like in stretch position, peak contraction or just plain pushing the heaviest. There are still technique to weight training.

The most important thing about training at home is I don't waste time in JAW exercise like when I went to the gym. I have buddies that we talk politics and all. Time flies and I didn't get the workout other than the jaw!!!! At home, it's more concentrate and efficient. I lost 10 lbs after I started working out at home 3 years ago and I am not on any particular diet. My diet is SEE FOOD diet.

One thing I miss from the gym is leg exercise. Right now, I am doing low stance walk, something like Karate type of stance with front leg bend at about 90deg and back leg straight back. I just keep walking non stop for 7 1/2minutes as my lower body exercise. Then I do dumbbell squat with 40lbs on each side. I cannot do real squat like in the video with bar bell, my back gave out on me. My legs are stronger than the rest of my body. I actually did 265lbs before, then a "twitch" on my back and I was out for like 2 weeks. Never do that again.

Last edited: