Wearing glasses and Ninjutsu

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My 2nd question about joining a Bujinkan Dojo is the wearing of glasses. Anyone here wear glasses and do you remove them when training and just see everyone blurry or wear some glasses holder deals that hold then tighter on the face. I can just see getting flipped around and the $300 glasses get busted up. Maybe it is time for contacts!

tj

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 2nd question about joining a Bujinkan Dojo is the wearing of glasses. Anyone here wear glasses and do you remove them when training and just see everyone blurry or wear some glasses holder deals that hold then tighter on the face. I can just see getting flipped around and the $300 glasses get busted up. Maybe it is time for contacts!

tj

One of the police officers I teach with wears glasses, he may look funney squinting but don't let him get his hands on you..Contacts are an option..But wouldn't an accidental brush to the face that might knock off a pair of glasses be worse to a contact wearer??? What about that Lasix surgery???

OP
A

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of the police officers I teach with wears glasses, he may look funney squinting but don't let him get his hands on you..Contacts are an option..But wouldn't an accidental brush to the face that might knock off a pair of glasses be worse to a contact wearer??? What about that Lasix surgery???

I wish I could afford surgery. One day....

Until then, I would think contacts would be more comfortable for combat. I used to wear them years ago. I don't remember them much poping out or anything like that. Getting smacked in the face though with glasses hurts more I would say and much more expensive to replace bent up frames.

tj

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent 12 or 13 years doing TKD half blind before I was able to have LASIK; contacts never worked for me.

Look at this way - in a street fight, chances are good you'll loose your glasses anyway - so if you don't, you have an advantage, and if you do, you'll be used to it.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've trained with glasses, so it is a definite pain to practice wearing them. I prefer wearing contacts. At times though, I may practice without either my glasses and contacts for the purpose to increase my tactile awareness.

- Ceicei

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

tj

I have glasses as well as contacts. I can sympathize with you though, as I've had more than one pair of glasses, knocked off, hit, bent, etc. Those times when I don't wear the contacts, I take the glasses off. I can see enough without them. Fortunately, I've never had a contact knocked out during training. The LASIK surgery is a good thing, although its not cheap. My eye doc mentions it all the time. Not sure what other options are available but your eye doctor may have some suggestions.

Josh D

White Belt
Reaction score
I wear contacts and have not had any problems.. they don't pop out that easy.... Any alternative would be buy rec specs... Most glasses places have them... they are just reinforced plastic frame that perscription lenses can be put in.. they go from fancy to cheap.. Long ago before contacts I picked up a pair for 99$.. thats pretty much what your gonna pay for a contact exam and a box of contacts if your not wanting to go the contact route... Now mind you the sport or rec specs definately won't win you any good looks contest.. but if your only wearing them in the dojo it shouldn't be a big deal.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing Bujinkan for ~ 1 year and I wear glasses. I've not had any problems todate and we do a lot of rolls and takedowns. Our sparring is very controlled and not full speed yet so that probably makes a difference.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple of people who train with us wear glasses. For the most part they don't cause any problems. I know I have dislodged them a few times. Again, it really isn't much problem and we were going pretty slow, so they didn't go flying across the room in any of the cases.

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi TJ!

I took my glasses off when I trained, but there were others in our dojo that kept theirs on. Lots of good advice has been offered. The decision is really up to you. It depends on how well you see without the glasses or if you are comfortable wearing them; it is safe to assume that if you wear your glasses they will get knocked off and perhaps damaged in your training.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I keep my glasses on unless practising newaza or alot of nagewaza in case the uke grabs my face on the way down.

I have had the same pair for 10 years now so it doesn't seem a problem. I guess until I get jammed in the eye with one of the arms LOL

Latest Discussions