Weapon OF Choice

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like learning the sword form and the staff! I would love to learn how Jet li uses the Rope Dart!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd also love to learn the Kali sticks and get more proficient with the nunchuks.

CMS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like the single stick used in FMA. My preference is a stick 28 inches long, and 1.25 ihches in diameter. It can be used in closer quarters than the longer weapons and techniques learned with it can be easily translated to found items, including rolled up magazines, tire irons, etc. It's more portable than a bo or jo and yet you can still generate an amazing amount of striking force.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite melee weapon is the katana / bokken, but still I enjoy using all sorts of weapons. Training with each one is like playing a musical instrument, where you begin to appreciate the differences in application (amongst different types) and quality (amongst the same type of weapon / instrument).

My only gripe about selecting the katana as the preferred weapon, is that it is a rather expensive choice, getting a good quality katana (300+), compared to getting a nice bo (about 100).

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My weapon of choice is the Sai. #2 is a short sword.

Alot of times I will practice with my short sword in one hand and a sai in the other. I will take a pic of my short sword and post it.
It is very unique, and Im sure that few people have seen anything like it.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sticks and batons, a great combo of grappling and striking capabilities...also, kubotan like weapons are great as well...

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What you must rememmber is that you are better off if you can pick up anything at all....a stick from a tree, a gun, a broom stick...etc...Whatever you pick up you, if you trained in a weapon that has a general useage such as Jo, Tonfa, Tonbo, Bo...Etc then you will have no problem picking up anything, even a gun...a gun should never be someones first choice for a weapon, unless the other guy has one, or he is moving to one.

But my first weapon was the tonfa, and still train in it, because I want to be a police officer. Second was the Jo...Two general weapons

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oooooh, I like that.....

My favorite weapon to train with would be my rattan FMA sticks. They're so light and maneuverable, I can really get'em whipping around. Occasionally, I'll teach myself a lesson and whack myself on the head LOL! But, they're still my favorite.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I carry a slim 5 inch blade strapped to my laft bicep and a trusty boot knife at all times...so I would have to say knife!

OP
M

Matt89

For training purposes I would like to learn the kuk soo won swords (looks to be katanas to me) but for actual combat I would want to learn the staff, no chance of accidentaly killing anybody and very flexible weapon.

Aaron Fields

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Baseball bat, no questions about being a karateee guy...

Plus blunt impact trauma has better stopping power.

Aaron Fields
Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
Sea-Town Sombo
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I started training in kobudo it was mainly because I wanted to learn how to use a Bo staff. No other weapon gives quite the same dynamic yet raw brutal feeling of strenght. Unfortunately the narrow stances tended to mess up my karate training so I quit after six months and by then I had only trained with the sword/bokken.

When working in the army I usually carried an 8 inch sami knife and an ontario knife manchete when on maneuver. Excellent tools that doubles as weapons in a pinch (not that I ever had to use them as such)

Firearms? The Mg-3 H&K light machine gun and 84 mm Karl Gustaf recoilless cannon.
Why? Try fireing one:armed:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Sticks and batons, a great combo of grappling and striking capabilities...also, kubotan like weapons are great as well...

Yes, I like the kubotan. We learn to use it in Jujitsu. It may be little (some styles) but it can be a nasty weapon (I have a small one on my keychain).

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have always wanted to know more about sword work, but I am a stick jock at heart

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My weapon of choice is the knife, maybe because thats all that I'm trained in so far.

I wanna get to know the sais thou. Is it hard to learn?

Latest Discussions