Weapon OF Choice

T

Twingoats

I was wondering, what is your favored weapon for training and why. If you havn't tried any weapons which weapon would you like to try?

I prefer the tonfas, when i first layed eyes on the weapons of mass destruction I had to make them mine. And I did, and i love them because they are not only great striking weapons but also great defense. Also they can be used in many different ways just by holding htem in different spots. Plus you can't really injure yourself practicing unlike the Chucks of Nun :rolleyes:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always been intrigued by the three sectional staff. My daughter has a foam one and it is fun to swing around, however, I am always thankful when I whack myself in the head that it is made of rubber and not wood. Definitely an "outdoor" type of weapon. Not enough room in the house. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More and more I like the knife. It really improves open-hand work and it's a likely threat.

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my Taiqiquan practice we use broadsword, straight sword and the staff forms, and they all have their individual merits; i'm tempted to say staff?

But, the broadsword or 'Dao' has to be a personal favourite of mine, a very rewarding experience to know a form with this particular weapon. This is due to the quick and expansive nature of the form, that incorporates many applications for the sword.

Best wishes.

Suntail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of batons. Blunt, so you don't have to worry about mistakes, (I have a scar from running the weapon set with long knives, fun until I realized I was bleeding) plus you can still do grappling, the torque you can apply with a baton is amazing. Easy to apply what you learned from batons to other weapons. Plus, you can use any number of things like a baton so it's good to know as an improvised weapon.

I've also been learning throwing knives on my own. When it's not frustrating me to death, it's fun and kind of relaxing. I have to admit I'm fairly bad with them.

OP
Z

Zorba

i havent done much weapon stuff, but i have done a little (read 2 or 3 lessons) of kali sticks which really like, but the 1 thing i love watching and would be really cool to do is the rope dagger.

OP
T

TheBattousai

The ultimate weapon as far as versitilaty to me has been the hambo (a one & a half to two foot stick). The various other weapons you can practice with makes it the ideal weapon for the MA on the go. But my favorite weapon would be between the jo, the cane, or manrikigusari.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sticks (Arnis/Kali) and the knife.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
celtic_crippler said:
Bo staff (most versatile, can be a broom, mop, pool cue) and knives.

I have to agree here. Our two bo forms, if one is done by one person and the other done by another, they are actually fighting each other. It's pretty cool. They were designed by my instructor 20 some years ago, and you can tell that a lot of thought went into these forms.

But since doing Jujitsu, my perfered weapon is my mind and my hands. Or anything I can get my hands on (we are taught to use anything as a weapon) ;)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twingoats said:
I prefer the tonfas

You and me both..I carry and teach the PR-24 which is the Grandson of the tonfa..We however can only carry one at a time , carrying 2 might give the Chief nightmares..

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I have always been intrigued by the three sectional staff. My daughter has a foam one and it is fun to swing around, however, I am always thankful when I whack myself in the head that it is made of rubber and not wood. Definitely an "outdoor" type of weapon. Not enough room in the house. :)

I have a physical problem with the three sectional staff, my shoulders and elbows along sinde of my body is wider than the center piece of every 3 sectional I have seen. One has ot have clearance inthe first place to get the optimum use out of it. :p

arnisador said:
More and more I like the knife. It really improves open-hand work and it's a likely threat.

I agree the knife makes you aware and sensitive to what if's?

Bigshadow said:
The mind.

This is my favorite answer I like to give, for a clear mind will keep you around long enough to use your other weapons.

Laoshi77 said:
In my Taiqiquan practice we use broadsword, straight sword and the staff forms, and they all have their individual merits; i'm tempted to say staff?

But, the broadsword or 'Dao' has to be a personal favourite of mine, a very rewarding experience to know a form with this particular weapon. This is due to the quick and expansive nature of the form, that incorporates many applications for the sword.

Best wishes.

I practice with swords, as I like the weight training and the distance training as well.

MJS said:
Sticks (Arnis/Kali) and the knife.

My preferred traditional weapon would be the Stick. It translates to other weapons really nice. The Knife, I have problmes with also, as to find one that has a handle I can hang on to and use, makes it a large knife, with a larger blade, which then makes it illegal or threatening.

Yet what I carry are my cheap pens. I can use then inside my hand, to jab and increase pain. People see a pen and dismiss it, where as a key chain of small palm stick in your hand is seen as a weapon.

When questioned, I always reply, I had a pen in my hands and just reacted. Nothing intentional.

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me - it's always the karate chop. It's the trump card, if you will, and extremely deadly if used properly.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
For me - it's always the karate chop. It's the trump card, if you will, and extremely deadly if used properly.

Isn't that the Judo Chop? LOL

I'm a big fan of pocket knives. Its really the most likely thing you will see if someone sticks you up. That and the walking stick. Good reach, blunt damage and 100% legal. The type with a brass ball of a head and a nice steel tip make good ones. ;)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bo is my weapon of choice followed very closely by the jo and other wooden weapons. The reason is that they are evrywhere. You don't have to have anything special. A broomstick, a stick in the yard, PVC pipe, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Latest Discussions