Weapon for home defense

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Can we say "overpenetration?" Unless it was all I had, or I lived out in the country, I doubt that I'd recommend a center-fire rifle as a home defense weapon. There's just too much chance that the bullet is going to "keep on truckin."
Yes, those "AK-47 Lovers" geneuflect all of the time.

And you ask, most do not even know why it is called a AK-47....let hwarang post the answer without scanning the net.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
AWB?

Pistol grip suffers accuracy? As if much accuracy is needed at in home close ranges?

From the hip? With a pistol grip, I had nevered had to fire from the hip, even with mag loads.

I can see where it will get bothersome at the range...but for the home? How many will it take to pump out the desired effect?

No, at "in-home" ranges, accuracy isn't that much of a concern. OTOH, I would definately want to keep as many rounds or pellets on the target as possible to avoid giving the neighbors or the kids a wakeup call.

When I said "from the hip," I didn't mean literally holding the weapon at hip level. I use that phrase to differentiate between aimed fire (even if you're just using the barrel, not the sights), and "pointed fire." Again, at extreme close range, it's probably not an issue. I've done quite a bit of shooting with a pistol-grip 12 gauge and have never had a problem, I just don't think pistol grips are really all that great (note, I'm talking about pistol-grips, not pistol-grip stocks, I like those). I guess what I'm saying is that if you like them and are proficient with a weapon outfitted in this manner, good for you . I just don't think they increase the utility of the weapon to any significant degree when you still have to have an 18" barrel.

Just my $0.02

Now if I could have a pistol grip shotgun with a barrel that was only about 12" long (as seen in "The Hitman," or "The Punisher") that would be a different story. :D

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

And you ask, most do not even know why it is called a AK-47....let hwarang post the answer without scanning the net.

Hint: If we used the same classification for the rifle our military uses it'd be the AS-56. (actually it'd be AS-55 if you really want to get technical) :D

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
1.) No, at "in-home" ranges, accuracy isn't that much of a concern. OTOH, I would definately want to keep as many rounds or pellets on the target as possible to avoid giving the neighbors or the kids a wakeup call.

2.) Again, at extreme close range, it's probably not an issue. I've done quite a bit of shooting with a pistol-grip 12 gauge and have never had a problem,

3.) I just don't think pistol grips are really all that great (note, I'm talking about pistol-grips, not pistol-grip stocks, I like those). I guess what I'm saying is that if you like them and are proficient with a weapon outfitted in this manner, good for you .

4.) I just don't think they increase the utility of the weapon to any significant degree when you still have to have an 18" barrel.

5.) Now if I could have a pistol grip shotgun with a barrel that was only about 12" long (as seen in "The Hitman," or "The Punisher") that would be a different story. :D
1.) The report is going to be a "wake-up call" anyway.

2.) So what's the problem with a pistol grip-look or function?

3.) Per number "2", it is asthetics or the "look" that bothers you.

4.) It does increase the compactiblity of the weapon from taking it out of stash n' acquire to pump n' fire.

5.) Have to keep it "legal". When the LEOs come, you want to produce a "legal" weapon.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
1.) The report is going to be a "wake-up call" anyway.

2.) So what's the problem with a pistol grip-look or function?

3.) Per number "2", it is asthetics or the "look" that bothers you.

4.) It does increase the compactiblity of the weapon from taking it out of stash n' acquire to pump n' fire.

5.) Have to keep it "legal". When the LEOs come, you want to produce a "legal" weapon.
1. True, nobody's going to sleep through that :D

2. No probs with the look, I just feel that by going with just a pistol grip you are compromising (to an extent) your ability to take targets at anything but close range (out to 15 yards)

3. Neither

4. Unless we're talking about the breacher for a SWAT team, I just don't see that it's that much of an issue. We're talking about a gun that's pretty compact to begin with (assuming it has an 18" barrel). I guess the question would be, "where do you store it?" I have one that has a 22" barrel and a full stock but since I live alone, I just leave it standing behind the bedroom door. If you had to stash it somewhere hidden/under something I can see the benefits.

5. I know, staying legal is a real pain in the A$$ sometimes.

I really don't have anything against them. I have (or used to have) on somewhere that I'll occasionally put on to play with at the range. And if I had to cram it into a small space then I might go back with one. For the most part though, I prefer the full stock.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It has been said by many, the shotgun is the best firearm for home defense. Now all you need to do is put on a pistol grip for compactibility.
Why would a home defense weapon need to be compact? I think I'll keep the "big club" feature available.

No, at "in-home" ranges, accuracy isn't that much of a concern.
I'm just as concerned with things I want to avoid hitting (say pets or children). There's also the issue that darkness, sleepyness, surprise and inherent inaccuracy may combine... though that's what time at teh range is for.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jerry said:
Why would a home defense weapon need to be compact?
Because In-home compactiness can have you store and produce it easier. Because you wont have to go around a bumoing into anything.

There are shot shells for pistols, but I had often wonder what effect will that have on barrel bore.

S

Shane Smith

A good quality.38spl revolver loaded with 158 grain LSWHP's should serve you well.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
Looks like a nice Mossberg, am I right? Good thing about a shotgun is that when you are under stress you can still hit your target.

It's actually a Winchester Defender 20 gauge.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

Im an "AK-47 Lover", and I also know where it got its name, but mostly because I have done a lot of reading on the weapon, and seen the Biographyt channel sepecial on Kalashnikov, its creator.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of offending everyone (and I hope I do) a shotgun is a poor choice for home defense.especially if you are unfamiliar with firearms. you might hit something you don't want to. It was first called a scatter gun for a reason.

IMO-the best defense is a 45. worked great from it's inception. all thats needed is a little range time.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
andy said:
At the risk of offending everyone (and I hope I do) a shotgun is a poor choice for home defense.especially if you are unfamiliar with firearms. you might hit something you don't want to. It was first called a scatter gun for a reason.

IMO-the best defense is a 45. worked great from it's inception. all thats needed is a little range time.

I'll bite, the reason a shotgun is considered the best for home defense is exactly because it is a "scatter gun". It allows the user to shoot without much aiming in situations/environments likely for a home invasion, like low light and high stress confrontations. Also it is a very easy design to maintain and use. Finally, the stopping power is perfect for home defense. It has more than sufficient power to stop an intruder in his tracks, but the buckshot is very unlikely to pass though walls and possibly injure others. Confrontations like home defense lend themselves to the gross motors skills of very tense situations that require a "point and shoot" mentality.

I'm not arguing that a good pistol of choice isn't good for home defense, but I will say that it is probably a good choice only for someone that has the time to really train to use it very confortably.

The .45 has good stopping power, but can pass through most walls with ease (albeit not as easily as a 9mm). The most common .45 design (1911) is also notoriously hard to maintain, especially for a novice or someone only interested in home protection. The reason the .45 has worked great since it's inception was that it is a well designed gun for the rigors of combat that a soldier experiences. There is also a reason they don't use them in the military as a sidearm anymore (low capacity, underpenetration).

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oulobo,

You have made some very good points. Unarguable in fact. I sometimes forget not everyone has the luxury of target practice for the fun of it,-or being raised around them.

Actually on a side note--there is a 410 guage pistol revolver that might be good for home defense.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
andy said:
Oulobo,

You have made some very good points. Unarguable in fact. I sometimes forget not everyone has the luxury of target practice for the fun of it,-or being raised around them.

Actually on a side note--there is a 410 guage pistol revolver that might be good for home defense.

I know the feeling. I spend too much time and way too much money at the shop/range nowadays. I'd love to play with one of those 410s. It sounds like fun. Do you have any idea of what the recoil is like on one.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have an idea. Unfortunately never have tried it tho.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
I'll bite, the reason a shotgun is considered the best for home defense is exactly because it is a "scatter gun". It allows the user to shoot without much aiming in situations/environments likely for a home invasion, like low light and high stress confrontations. Also it is a very easy design to maintain and use. Finally, the stopping power is perfect for home defense. It has more than sufficient power to stop an intruder in his tracks, but the buckshot is very unlikely to pass though walls and possibly injure others. Confrontations like home defense lend themselves to the gross motors skills of very tense situations that require a "point and shoot" mentality.
The Box Of Truth dispelled this belief pretty well if I remember correctly.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's my "alternative suggestion" to anyone who is uncomfortable with firearms, or has children in the home:

Go to a local wilderness outfitter, and buy a can of "bear spray". It's like pepper spray on massive steroids. The container is about the size of a typical bottled water, but the spray is MUCH stronger than any pepper spray you will find designed to be used on dogs or humans. The spray has a range of up to 20 feet, and at that distance will cover a larger sized circle than a shotgun pattern. (Cleanup afterward will be less messy, too...) It will stop a charging grizzly, and will likely hospitalize a human.
It's much easier to hit a target with than a handgun, easier to wield than a shotgun, and can be kept (as mine is) in the drawer of your nightstand.

Of course, the main benefit is that it is non-lethal in the event of an accident, or case of mistaken identity.
I have been around firearms since I was 6, but my wife is afraid of them, and I have 2 kids. If I had a firearm in the house, it would absolutely be locked up, but that kind of defeats the purpose in an emergency.

Just a suggestion....

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
anything to keep guns out of the hands of 'civilians' right martial tucker?

sometimes lethal force is necessary--sad but true

Latest Discussions