Weapon for home defense

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My roommate has moved, so I'm now living by myself. She refused to have a weapon in the apartment, and I respected that since I don't think someone who's terrified of guns should have access to one because she's too scared to learn how to use it, but if scared enough by someone breaking in, wouldn't hesitate to grab it, which would be bad. So, now she's gone and I want a gun.

I'm debating between a shotgun or a 38/.357 S&W revolver. I had originally been thinking of a glock or a sig, but tried a couple of revolvers and liked them better. They seemed to fit my hand better than the semiauto pistols.

I know the shotgun is probably better for home defense, which is my primary purpose, but I'm a lot more likely to take the revolver to the range more often.

Opinions?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Shotgun is not necessarily better for home defense. Many times, a handgun is simply more accessable.

If your more inclined to take the revolver to the range, then you just answered your own question: I say get the revolver.

Paul

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you like the revolver better than a semi-auto, then go for it. Be sure to put in the training to become very comfortable with your new firearm and put in shooting practice often. As far as space and cover are concerned, a revolver would be much easier to handle and use than a shotgun.

- Ceicei

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well..that kinda depends. If I were taking the "safe room", lock down and hold while I wait for the police approach to home defense, the shotgun is great.

As a civillian though, a legally owned handgun has a lot more flexibility. Start with the revolver if that is the most comfortable. As you become experienced you may find that auto isnt so hard to handle after all....

IMO. Learn the handgun first then learn long gun. The handgun is the best "personal defense" firearm IMO because you are more likely to have it on you. Most people dont wear slung long arms day to day.....

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Get the one with which you are most comfortable; practice a lot. Sounds like this will be a revolver; fine choice. Later, you can add the shotgun. Guns are like kittens; they are happier with sibling s to keep them company!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I have a stick!

:uhyeah:
I have a few of those myself, and a few firearms, not to mention my compound bow (which [font=&quot]incidentally[/font] is the most accessible to me
frowntobiggrin.gif
).

But back on topic, go with what works for you, if you don't like the gun you won’t practice with it, and if you don’t practice it won’t help much.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best self defense weapon is a dog. The chances of someone entering a home with a dog are significantly lower in comparison to the gun owner. The stats also show that a residents gun is more likely to kill the owner or the owners family than it is an intruder. Of coure, I'm typing this while I stare at my gun safe with over 20 firearms in it, and a house with 3 firearms hidden around it. :mp5:

IF your willing to get the PROFESSIONAL training, (boyfriends, husbands and family members dont count, regardless of occupation/expierience), and IF your willing to put in the time it takes to become proficient with your firearms of choice, then you are on que with the revolver.

I would advise against anything with the word "Lady" enscribed on the frame. These are marketed to boyfriends and husbands who mistakenly think that something small, supposedly for a female hand, would be better and easier to use. The opposite is true. Basic physics. 2 guns that shoot the same round , one weighs 11 ounces, the other weighs 4 pounds, which one will recoil more?

I have shot just about every model handgun in existance, those cute little "lady" guns hurt. I'd rather shoot my 44 mag.

OK so no more of my ramblings: My recommendation, considering I have never met or seen you, Smith & Wesson Model 686, 4 inch barrel. Keep 38s in it. It'll shoot 357 mag, but i hate to over penetrate and kill the kids/nuns/boyscout troop across the street.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seeing how this is the firing range, I'll stick with firearms opinions.

I'd go with a .357 revolver for confined space mobility, easy of use, storage ease, stopping power, lack of penetration and reliability.

Shotgun for stopping power, lack of penetration, and "accuracy".

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you see yourself practicing with the handgun more then go with that. There's nothing wrong with a revolver, get whatever is comfortable for you.

A shotgun far more "effective" defensive (or offensive :D) situation, however you have to consider other factors. For example, if you live in an apartment with other people sleeping 8 feet from you I would not advise a shotgun or a rifle. 1" of sheetrock won't stop the projectiles. Obviously, it won't stop a pistol bullet either but the same characteristics (shot pattern, multiple projectiles) that make a shotgun deadly to a criminal increase the danger to the neighbors. If you're looking at a .38/.357 I would recommend .38+p's in something like hydra-shoks or Rangers to help reduce over penetration.

Just my $0.02

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best self defense weapon is a dog. The chances of someone entering a home with a dog are significantly lower in comparison to the gun owner. The stats also show that a residents gun is more likely to kill the owner or the owners family than it is an intruder.
I found it very interesting that you set two different statistics for different things (dogs as a deterrent vs firearms as a liability) without their corrilary points.

More children under 12 are attacked by dogs than any other age group... and it's usually the family dog(1). In just one city (Pontiac Michigan) there were 53 attacks by dogs which resulted in which dogs had bitten the victim's several times causing stiches and /or servere injury(2). In a cite with a mere 66,000 people (12), this would extrapolate to 236,000 severe injuries inficted by dogs in the US every year. In the US, there are more than 20 fatalities a year, though this number is very small compared to the number of non-fatal maulings. Like firearms, you are most likely to be bitten by your own dog (3).

There is a higher listed accidental death rate for firearms (600 in 2000) though there is a far lower incidence of non-fatal injuy at 18,000 (12). Further, it's often asserted that many of the "accidental shootings" are suicides, and some homicides. (see also my statistics by age later in this post).

To put this is perspective: the 600 childhood deaths from accidental gunshots in 2000 compare to 22,300 dealths from cars, burns, drowing, and poisons (4). Further, most of the accidental deaths (70%) occur in children 15-19 years of age (11). To me, this implies poor instruction on the part of the parents. It's a problem, not with firearms, but with education.

I've been trying to track down an accidental fireamrs death rate for Switzerland, but without success. Ayone got one?

But the other part of your comment is the effect on crime. For that, I'd point to two instances where a juristiction changed gun ownership laws. First Australia, where in 1996 the government seized most of the populations firearms. In some areas, this resulted in a 300% increase in homicides with firearms. Roberies increased 60% the following year. Two years following the gun ban/confiscation, armed robberies rose by 73 percent, unarmed robberies by 28 percent, kidnappings by 38 percent, assaults by 17 percent and manslaughter by 29 percent. (7)

In contrast, I present Kennesaw GA (8). In 1992 Kennesaw passed a law which required homeowners to own firearms. The year that the law went into effect, crime against persons plummeted 74%. The next year is fell an additional 45 percent (9).

The effecacy of firearms is undeniable, with a successful use ever 13 seconds or so (10). Having had a friend raped with her dog in the next room, I'm a little more suspect of the true efficacy of a pooch.

1 - LA Times: Reprinted at: http://www.unclematty.com/woofpub/articles/toothorconsequences.htm?#386
2- http://ncrf2004.tripod.com/id4.html
3- http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0084.htm
4 - http://www.haciendapub.com/edcor12.html
5 - http://www.eda.admin.ch/washington_emb/e/home/legaff/Fact/gunown.html
6 - http://www.ssaa.org.au/AccidentfirearmVallother.html
7 - http://www.haciendapub.com/edcor12.html
8 - http://kennesaw.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
9 - http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/crime_rate_plummets.htm
10 - http://www.spofga.org/EC/2nd_amendment.htm
11 - http://www.regulateguns.org/fact_sheets/guns_youth.asp
12 - http://www.womenshooters.com/wfn/injuriesdown.html

T

TonyM.

.357 magnum revolver. Should be issued to girls at age ten with instructions.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a footnote to Jerry's post- those "children" 15-19 years old are in the truly prime crime years. US firearms statistics commonly capture the shootings of those who have made career choices where lead poisoning comes with the territory.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to go it the other direction. I don't exactly live in the best area and though I do have a large number of guns I am a firm believer in a double barrel, double hammer shotgun. You will not have to worry about strya bullets over-penetrating and killing your neighbors or your family. If you do decide to go with a shotgun or a handgun, go to a range beforehand and try out different weapons. Get some expert advice, like law enforcement, military, professional shooters, etc. Then find yourself an instructor. Do all of this before you purchase your "weapon of choice." You will also need to check your local and state laws concerning the firearms that you are choosing from. You can also expect to spend several days per month at the range shooting a whole bunch of rounds. So choose a gun that will not break the bank.

I have been shooting and hunting since the age of 5(we start young in my hometown). I have hunted everything from rabbits to people and no matter how much you train you will never truly be ready for the first time you draw down on a live person. Make a wise well-informed decision and hope that you never have to defend your life or the life of a loved one.

If you need something in the mean-time go to the local pet store and buy the largest dog bowl you can find. Then drag it home behind you car. Paint a name like killer, spike or some other menacing name on it and place it by your back door. This has been known to deter potential burgulars and thugs from trying to enter a house.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Jerry said, most accidental firearms deaths involve 15-19 year-olds. On a side note, like Chad said, these "accidental deaths" often include figures from gang-related crime (the brady bunch is especially notorious for this type of "fuzzy math"). To further "footnote" this...I read somewhere recently (don't ask, if I remembered I'd post it :D) that in real accidental shootings, it's usually not a case of the family 5-year-old finding dad's gun (although this does happen in rare circumstances); it's a case of the 15-19 year-old shooting another person. The interesting thing to note is that in a majority of cases the shooter has a history of juvenile delinquency which could include an actuall criminal history; or such things as underage drinking, drug-use, etc. In other words, it's not just your average kid, it's a kid that's got a host of other problems.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey little sister...shotgun (as Billy Idol would say). If you go with a shotgun try a 20 gauge. Its still more powerful than a handgun and has easier recoil than a 12.

If you have to go for a wheel gun...I'll go unconventional and say maybe try one chambered for 9mm? The 9mm is an easy shooter with much less felt recoil than a 357 Mag but offering superior ballistics than a 38 special in a shorter package. There is also a BUNCH of self defense ammo for the 9mm and practice ammo is cheap. You can carry/load 6 at a time with moon clips.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I ended up getting a shotgun. It was cost that finally made my decision, as there's been some break-ins in my apartment complex, and I wanted to get something immediately rather than having to save money for another month or two. Over the summer, I'll be working so I can pick up a handgun then.

see attached...

Attachments

• $win.jpg
    $win.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 220

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A shotgun is a good choice for homedefense. It is not quite as quick to handle as a handgun but practice can over come that. Be sure to get lots of practice and become familiar with the little quirks that its bound to have.

Here's hoping you never have to use if for its intended purpose.

-Josh

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
well, I ended up getting a shotgun. It was cost that finally made my decision, as there's been some break-ins in my apartment complex, and I wanted to get something immediately rather than having to save money for another month or two. Over the summer, I'll be working so I can pick up a handgun then.

see attached...

Looks nice. I am not real good at recognizing Shotguns from pics; what kind is it?

Make sure that you get to the range with it regularly!

:)

Latest Discussions