Weapon for home defense

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
A shotgun is a good choice for defence. As Tulisan says get plenty of range time with it. When things are going bad fast and the stress level is up, is not the time to be finding out how the weapon works. I would also see if there is anywhere in the area to learn weapon retention. The draw back of using a long gun (shotgun or rifle) in a house, is it is easier for someone to take away from you than a handgun is. This is because the barrel leads, so can be grabbed as it comes around a corner. For this reason and others, do not try to clear your home yourself, if you think someone is in there. Put yourself in your safe room with your weapon and call 911. Home Depot sells little magnetic balanced alarms for about $20.00 for four of them. They stick on doors and windows and will sound an alarm when the door or window is opened. Lock your bedroom door at night. Anything that will give you time/warning will allow you to get to your weapon and into your safe area. A weapon doesn't make you safe. Common sense and knowing how to use the weapon is what makes you safe.

Just my two cents worth. Congrats on your new weapon. :)

Ron

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it one of the Maverick "home defense" guns? They are the more economical line of guns made my Mossberg, and marketed to people just like N'gale. I think there are only 2 models, a security model (6 or 8 shot) and a field model. I never got fire one, so I wonder about the quality.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like a nice Mossberg, am I right? Good thing about a shotgun is that when you are under stress you can still hit your target.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are really concerned about "home defense" with a shotgun, you have to consider where you are going to store it (for accessibility) and what condition you are going to store it in. Unloaded? Fully loaded? Ammo tube loaded and chamber empty? Loading a pump action shotgun under stress is a tricky skill even for trained personnel. Evaluate and practice.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Is it one of the Maverick "home defense" guns? They are the more economical line of guns made my Mossberg, and marketed to people just like N'gale. I think there are only 2 models, a security model (6 or 8 shot) and a field model. I never got fire one, so I wonder about the quality.
Looks like it...After handling and shooting a couple, I'm not too impressed with them. IMNSHO, you get what you pay for. On the other hand, a pump-shotgun is a pump-shotgun. You can always upgrade later, better to have a cheap one than not at all.
Have fun and practice a lot :)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a fine choice. Make sure you work out the storage issues mentioned above, and spend some time shooting it so ou are comfortable. Start out with light loads, and make certain you are mounting the gun to your shoulder correctly, or it will be a mite unpleasant.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Looks like a may be a little late on this thread but I was going to recommend a Mossberg 590 12 Ga. Load it with 7 or 8 rounds of #7 bird shot and you have a very formidable weapon with good in home mobility. As for the recoil issue if your life was dependent on the weapon the “kick” of the gun will be that last thing on your mind.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As for the recoil issue if your life was dependent on the weapon the “kick” of the gun will be that last thing on your mind.
Unless you miss, in which case the amount the recoil has thrown you off-stance and off-target may be very signifigant... and you are more likely to miss because you are less likely to have been at the range practicing because the recoil makes it uncomfortable.

Of course, I suggest a more recoil-compensated stock if you are having trouble, or a lighter load on the shell.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look what I picked up last weekend.

Attachments

• $31023big.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 181

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I 2nd that. Nice! Now you’re ready for the folding stock, flashlight, sling and laser site. Not easy to miss at close range and bird shot.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Look what I picked up last weekend.
It has been said by many, the shotgun is the best firearm for home defense. Now all you need to do is put on a pistol grip for compactibility.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
It has been said by many, the shotgun is the best firearm for home defense. Now all you need to do is put on a pistol grip for compactibility.
Since the AWB sunset, you can use the M-4 style stocks again. IMO, these are about the best design. I don't really care for the cheapie folding models and I don't particularly care for just a pistol grip because it's not as comfortable to shoot and your accuracy does suffer b/c you're shooting from the hip (yeah I know, it's a shotgun, but still...).

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
hwarang said:
ak-47 gets the job done
Can we say "overpenetration?" Unless it was all I had, or I lived out in the country, I doubt that I'd recommend a center-fire rifle as a home defense weapon. There's just too much chance that the bullet is going to "keep on truckin."

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Since the AWB sunset, you can use the M-4 style stocks again. IMO, these are about the best design. I don't really care for the cheapie folding models and I don't particularly care for just a pistol grip because it's not as comfortable to shoot and your accuracy does suffer b/c you're shooting from the hip (yeah I know, it's a shotgun, but still...).
AWB?

Pistol grip suffers accuracy? As if much accuracy is needed at in home close ranges?

From the hip? With a pistol grip, I had nevered had to fire from the hip, even with mag loads.

I can see where it will get bothersome at the range...but for the home? How many will it take to pump out the desired effect?

Latest Discussions