Weapon Choice

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been told by my instructor to choose any weapon to start training with at black belt classes.
This may sound a bit weird but it's because I do Freestyle Karate that I'm allowed to incorperate any kind of weapon into my training.
Does anyone have some suggestions for a truly unique weapon that would have lots of info to help me train? Cheers.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kachi said:
I have been told by my instructor to choose any weapon to start training with at black belt classes.
This may sound a bit weird but it's because I do Freestyle Karate that I'm allowed to incorperate any kind of weapon into my training.
Does anyone have some suggestions for a truly unique weapon that would have lots of info to help me train? Cheers.

What do you mean by Unique?

Does the weapon have to be of Japanese origin?

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
By unique I mean not the typical Karate weapons eg, bo, sai, tonfa, kama, nunchaku. Maybe something from another style. And no it doesn't need to be of japanese origin.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JMD said:
How about a Kerambit?

I agree that a blade would be nice, but not everyone will understand the movements of the little blade. If you get a bigger blade, such as a Barong, or machete, the judges can see the application better.

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great suggestions keep 'em comin. I was actually thinking of using a khukri.
greatsword_1874_44551205

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kachi said:
Great suggestions keep 'em comin. I was actually thinking of using a khukri.
greatsword_1874_44551205

Not a bad weapon, the Kukri.

I like it, but it is a hacking weapon, not a slicing or cutting weapon. This might fit real well with Karate, but others may see blade and think it is not cutting right, and others who see you slicing through the air will think you are not using it well. :)

You need to target you audience as well.

The metal catches eyes.

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
:erg: This is one of the hardest desicions, cause once I start training with it it's an entire year 'till i'm allowed to change weapons

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unique? Well, not many people do the eku (Okinawan oar) anymore. But, what are your goals? Can you say more about that?

Sensei Paul Hart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How about a Chinese weapon. The Monk's Spade or the Tiger Fork Trident are weapons that have a lot of "show" quality and information is available about both. The Monk's Spade can be used much like a Eku and the forms done with Eku can be used with the Spade. However, the Spade incorporates a blade and is more visual, IMHO. Both weapons are great to learn and take a bit of practice to acustom yourself to the weight. They also build strength in the arms and back, which is also very good for the Martial Artist.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some time ago I decided that if I ever entered another forms competition I was breaking out the "rubber chicken" (preferablly with a squeaker). As it turned out I never did enter another competition so I never got the opportunity...

Take a idea from pro-wrestling and go with a folding chair ;) I'm sure a lot of "new" things could be done there, some of it flashy and acrobatic :)

Be creative, everyone looks for the "new" thing and generally dig up the old things. So I'd say don't limit yourself to traditional weapons, there are a lot of fun things to put on a show with out there :)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd go for something like a claymore, myself. Not the anti-personnel mine, but the two handed sword as used by the scots.

Or one of those massive two handed swords used to break up pike formations.

Or a halberd.

What about a bow of some kind?

T

TheBattousai

To be different, I would think to go with either the Techu (Spikes with a ring in the middle), Hari (needles), Rokushaku Kama, Manij Sai, or Ono (ax).

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rope Dart or Whip Chain, I say. Arni's suggestion of the ekku is great, as well. I saw these used in the last comp I attended. Very cool.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
kachi said:
By unique I mean not the typical Karate weapons eg, bo, sai, tonfa, kama, nunchaku. Maybe something from another style. And no it doesn't need to be of japanese origin.

My favorite "unique" weapon is the fans or whip chain. The whip chain is VERY hard to learn though and may result in serious injury; just to warn you. If you are a guy though (sorry if you're a girl), you pry wouldn't want to learn the fans as they are kinda girly, I guess. I think the tiger hooks look cool but have never tried them.

Becky

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
My favorite "unique" weapon is the fans or whip chain. The whip chain is VERY hard to learn though and may result in serious injury; just to warn you. If you are a guy though (sorry if you're a girl), you pry wouldn't want to learn the fans as they are kinda girly, I guess. I think the tiger hooks look cool but have never tried them.

Becky

Sure the whip chain/rope dart are dangerous. That's what makes the sooooo cool. A good practice piece, though, is a length of rope with a sandbag attached to the end about the same weight as the dart. Can still thump you; but, not do too much damage.

We had a bb at tkd that did a fan form that looked pretty good, actually. His fan was black silk, dragon design, with steel staves. Hardly 'girly'.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course you need to consider what kind of training is available for the weapon you choose. Simply choosing something because it is unique and interesting isn't going to get you very far if instruction is not available.

If you make up a kata yourself, those who are knowledgeable about the weapon will see right thru your charade. You may well be using techniques that are entirely inappropriate to the weapon, and chances are good that your technique will be poorly done, no matter how flashy and impressive they may seem to the uneducated. Also, you will have no understanding of the true capabilities and limitations of the weapon.

What people who haven't studied weapons before often don't realize is that there are many subtlies in weapons techniques. You can't just pick it up and start swinging and banging it around. You need quality instruction to do it right.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I think you should consider this strongly, when you begin weapons training.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Unique? Well, not many people do the eku (Okinawan oar) anymore. But, what are your goals? Can you say more about that?

Great choice and a very good question. I am one of two instructors here in the area where I live that actively teach the eku. It is a weapon that is going the way of the dinosaurs.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a pitchfork, a spade, 3 section staff, a simple rope

these are not that offten seen and can be fun to learn

Latest Discussions