WC Kicks?

JohnR

White Belt
Reaction score
What type of kicks does your Wing Chun have? I am reading a book called 116 Wing Sun Dummy Techniques by Master Yip Chun and there are some knee destroying kicks and one semi side kick. Being one of my arms is short I like kicks to keep some distance unless I can move in very very close to lock an arm or put someone on the ground. I have no Wing Chun training though. If you do have kicks are they just to the knees or do you have other applications?

Thanks for your knowledge!

John Runer

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gotta love WC kicks!

As with most things WC its all about different applications of the same basic movement.

I was taught to use front kicks is a manner of ways at various hieghts, no higher than hip level. My favourite being a stopping kick which is simply lifting your foot into an oncommers path.

Simple and effective.

:ultracool

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a list of some of the Wing Chun kicks:

正腳 - Jing Gerk (Zheng Jiao) Front Kick
釒腳 - Ding Gerk (Jin Jiao) Nail Kick
穔腳 - Wahng Gerk (Huang Jiao) Side Kick
摳腳 - Kau Gerk (Kou Jiao) Picking Kick
拍腳 - Pak Gerk (Pai Jiao) Parry Kick
護腳 - Wu Gerk (Hu Jiao) Guarding Kick
間腳 - Gaan Gerk (Jian Jiao) Making Space Kick
攤腳 - Taan Gerk (Tan Jiao) Disperse Kick
膀腳 - Bong Gerk (Bang Jiao) Wing Kick

There are a lot of other variations as well.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... Being one of my arms is short I like kicks to keep some distance...

Hmmm... one of your arms is short? That's uncommon. How short? Is it fully functional? Perhaps you could explain.

Otherwise, you express a general preference for keeping your distance and kicking. While you can do this with Wing Chun, it is primarily a close fighting system that uses a lot of hand techniques, sometimes together with the kicks. Most of our kicks also act as steps, bringing us in close to our opponent. But it doesn't sound like you are comfortable with that approach.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Main kicks we covered whilst I studied Wing Chun were the
-Stomp kick. We used mostly as an open foot push kick on numerous angles around knee and shin.
-Front Kick. Aimed around bladder height to drop the opp upper body down for our strikes
- Side Kick. We mostly covered this as a kick as either a quick entry to rib area whilst hands worked towards gaining contact. Also used the side kick as a high knee followed by downwards strike to take out the knee joint.
- Snap Kick. Nice and simple. Opp legs have a gap in between. Snappy flick up of the foot to the groin with top of foot.

- We also covered Crescent Kicks, Hook kicks etc, However the focus was the top 4 I mentioned mostly used as "Gain contact range first" get opponents attention to the top half of there body. Then close range kicks to upset their knee's/groin to break there balance to finish the situation.

OP
J

JohnR

White Belt
Reaction score
I am actually very comfortable moving in close. In full contact sparring I move inside of their arms and lock them up or put them on the ground with a sweep or other throw, if I go with them they are my landing pad (this comes from my Juitsu which is mainly Japanese Stand up style). My right arm is three inches shorter than left with three fingers and I wear a hunged metal brace (great for blocking). It never fails if I put it out they go for it and end up with a kick they ignore because my birth defect looks like a weakness. My personal fighting style is both long range kicks and very close locks throws pressure points or elbows. Inexperienced fighters and Karate only fighters panic if I get nose to nose because I practice fighting in a corner and slide stepping in fast. Many opponents seem to think you will retreat or be out of options in a corner. If I turn their attack back on them it breaks their focus many times. Medium range is wher I fail. I can take hits pretty good but I slap block or turn with/side step most kicks and punches. With my limited knowledge of WC I would say I am a stand up grappler and a long or close range kicker my kicks or all low in a fight.

I just built a Wing Chun Dummy to see what I can adapt from WC.

John Runer

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am actually very comfortable moving in close. In full contact sparring I move inside of their arms and lock them up or put them on the ground with a sweep or other throw, if I go with them they are my landing pad (this comes from my Juitsu which is mainly Japanese Stand up style). My right arm is three inches shorter than left with three fingers and I wear a hunged metal brace (great for blocking). It never fails if I put it out they go for it and end up with a kick they ignore because my birth defect looks like a weakness. My personal fighting style is both long range kicks and very close locks throws pressure points or elbows. Inexperienced fighters and Karate only fighters panic if I get nose to nose because I practice fighting in a corner and slide stepping in fast. Many opponents seem to think you will retreat or be out of options in a corner. If I turn their attack back on them it breaks their focus many times. Medium range is wher I fail. I can take hits pretty good but I slap block or turn with/side step most kicks and punches. With my limited knowledge of WC I would say I am a stand up grappler and a long or close range kicker my kicks or all low in a fight.

I just built a Wing Chun Dummy to see what I can adapt from WC.

John Runer

I agree, I wish you a successful venture in the Wing Chun system. Its a long road but one worth travelling.

As for the Muk Jong (Wooden Structure) its a great device! I personally enjoy the training not only the Muk Yan Jong Form but also how you can isolate drills or specific techniques & work on the mechanics as well, a nice complementary training device.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have recently done an exercise.
Wing chun stance, Foot palm kick forward, foot heal kick forward, standing foot swivels a bit and side kick then reset and go again. Continuous against a wall. Good for strengthening legs and movement. Very useful.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a list of some of the Wing Chun kicks:

正腳 - Jing Gerk (Zheng Jiao) Front Kick
釒腳 - Ding Gerk (Jin Jiao) Nail Kick
穔腳 - Wahng Gerk (Huang Jiao) Side Kick
摳腳 - Kau Gerk (Kou Jiao) Picking Kick
拍腳 - Pak Gerk (Pai Jiao) Parry Kick
護腳 - Wu Gerk (Hu Jiao) Guarding Kick
間腳 - Gaan Gerk (Jian Jiao) Making Space Kick
攤腳 - Taan Gerk (Tan Jiao) Disperse Kick
膀腳 - Bong Gerk (Bang Jiao) Wing Kick

There are a lot of other variations as well.
Not sure if this will get answered but from looking over some stuff my guess is a Nail kick would be similar to the invisible kicks that have no snapping motion just a direct path but instead you lift then thrust out. It may be poorly described but that was the idea I got from this

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if this will get answered but from looking over some stuff my guess is a Nail kick would be similar to the invisible kicks that have no snapping motion just a direct path but instead you lift then thrust out. It may be poorly described but that was the idea I got from this
From my training, all Wing Chun kicks are "invisible" or "shadowless" kicks because they are not telegraphed, making them hard to see and read. They are also applied below the waist and are linear, which contributes to their stealthy, short, and sharp movements. This includes the nail kick, or Dang Gerk, which is an ascending heel kick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From my training, all Wing Chun kicks are "invisible" or "shadowless" kicks because they are not telegraphed, making them hard to see and read.
You may talk about your opponent moves in, you kick him. How about if you have to move into your opponent to kick him? Does your footwork telegraph your intention?

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From my training, all Wing Chun kicks are "invisible" or "shadowless" kicks because they are not telegraphed, making them hard to see and read. They are also applied below the waist and are linear, which contributes to their stealthy, short, and sharp movements. This includes the nail kick, or Dang Gerk, which is an ascending heel kick.
Is the nail kick a common kick? I've probably done it and just not realized it. Before seeing this I hadn't heard of it so my only a assumption was a Nail kick is a front kick except the extension or thrust is done after lifting the leg and the knee actually lowers with the thrust

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is the nail kick a common kick? I've probably done it and just not realized it. Before seeing this I hadn't heard of it so my only a assumption was a Nail kick is a front kick except the extension or thrust is done after lifting the leg and the knee actually lowers with the thrust
Dang Gerk is definitely common for many groups. It's the basic lifting heel kick.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dang Gerk is definitely common for many groups. It's the basic lifting heel kick.
I figured it was. Would it be the same as this? How he drops the knee as he kicks? I've seen alot of various front like kicks so it's hard to sort them

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You may talk about your opponent moves in, you kick him. How about if you have to move into your opponent to kick him? Does your footwork telegraph your intention?
We train to eat space the same way, with or without a kick.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I figured it was. Would it be the same as this? How he drops the knee as he kicks? I've seen alot of various front like kicks so it's hard to sort them
No, Sifu Richter is demonstrating a side kick and a slant kick in that clip. Dang Gerk is a lifting heel kick, straight and direct to the target. It's pretty much the bread & butter WSLVT kick.

This is an example of Dang Gerk:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was experimenting with Mu Ying Gerk the other night, trying different types of kicks in the Shadowless pattern. Above the waist is definitely possible, and not limited to lifting kicks. The "no telegraph" part makes sense because there's no other set up movement required, the foot just flies forward.

But that made me think of the gazillion Wing Chun kicks I've seen, how few went above the waist. Too bad.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, Sifu Richter is demonstrating a side kick and a slant kick in that clip. Dang Gerk is a lifting heel kick, straight and direct to the target. It's pretty much the bread & butter WSLVT kick.

This is an example of Dang Gerk:

Oh so it really has nothing to do with the knee Sinking as you thrust then? Yeah I knew he had done those kicks but thought he was using the principle of nailing with them.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would you have any links to these other kicks? I'm sure there simple but I have yet to see the others besides the one you sent (atleast with the concept of this I'm probably familiar with the kicks themselves just not these principles there based on)

Nailing (Dan). This seems to be the video you sent
Sweeping (So).
Scooping (Tiu).
Circling (Huen).
Snapping (Jut).

Latest Discussions