Water Element Questions

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have some questions for those students of To-Shin Do, or anyone else for that matter, who've been through the blue belt training focusing on the water element.

1) I see a lot of Gyokko ryu footwork in the water element. How would I make the 45 degree movement more natural, and instinctive?

2) Also, when someone is striking, maybe in the more modern heymaker fashion, how would work towards going with the flow and countering this attack type easier.

3) Finally, when it comes to the faster hits, which pack a little power, how could I utilize the water element to avoid the brunt of the attacker, and take advantage for a counter.

All advice pertaining to these questions are welcome, no matter what your experience. :)

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
1) I see a lot of Gyokko ryu footwork in the water element. How would I make the 45 degree movement more natural, and instinctive?

Sounds silly but doing it over and over again. I do it know without thinking about it. I must of done the infinitie drill I was shown for hours!!!

2) Also, when someone is striking, maybe in the more modern heymaker fashion, how would work towards going with the flow and countering this attack type easier.

Hard to exsplain on here but can be done. might want to try a diffrent response to those attacks.

3) Finally, when it comes to the faster hits, which pack a little power, how could I utilize the water element to avoid the brunt of the attacker, and take advantage for a counter.

Movement, flowing out and back or just not being where they think you are going to be. Then rocking back in.

Hope this helps!

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
These answers are from my experience.

1. By doing the Sen-Undo drill over and over and over again.

2. Its important to remember that the foot work is your defense. If you think the punch is then you will get messed up. You may be only able to take one step before having to crash back in.

3. Again refer to answer #2.

I think a lot of people get stuck on thinking that the techniques taught in the water element are the element itself. All they do is help explain a principle. Most of those techniques can be done with another elemental feeling. Remember that the Water Element is a concept to keep your wits and not engage in something until you have more information.

Good luck on your "Quest"!

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you both. Another 2 questions with that one, if you don't mind.

4) When it comes to more contemporary street style punching, what are some ways I can develop the ability to capture this aggression and turn it into ura, omote, or hon gyaku.

5) I understand the importance of Sen Undo now, but what is the difference in what En Undo helps one develop. Once again, all responses are welcome. :)

-Scott

KevinCasey

White Belt
Reaction score
5.) Sen-Undo drills distance. En-Undo drills angles. Both do both, but if you want to make a distinction, that's my contribution.

--Kevin

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank very much, Mr. Casey, for your valuable insight. I can see now those two particular drills are the key to developing the physicality of this 'water' strategy. :)

-Scott

Michael Stinson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A couple of quick ideas:

Don't just play with Sen/En Undo with lunge attacks. Once you get the feeling of the two exercises start changing up the attacks. Don't just stay in a rhythm...break the timing. You can also start doing things like going inside OR outside so it turns into sort an amoeba style drill with things going left, right, forwards, backwards at varying speeds and attack styles. Add in kicks, grabs, weapons, etc. You can do these exercises with many different attacks if you use some imagination. As someone else mentioned above this doesn't have to be a water exercise either. I basically use the two drills in many different places. It can be a great way of taking a technique and adding pressure to it with out getting too chaotic.

As far as wrist locks...don't forget the locks don't HAVE to always involve a full fold of the wrist. I often teach a 'sloppy combat' version of these locks that involves using gross motor skills to capture the attacking arm and using my body to create the principals of ura/omote gyaku to effect a take down. Making sure to strike the uke in some fashion before attempting the gyaku also really assists in dealing with resistance. I find that these techniques happen best when 'discovered' within the midst of the situation.

Michael Stinson
Phoenix Quest Center

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just want to thank all of the To-Shin Do instructors who took time out of their day to reply and give training tips in my musha shugyo through To-Shin Do. My training partners and myself appreciate everyone's input.

Mr. Stinson

Mr. Casey

and Mr. Ontoshi Johnson, on Carolinabujindo.com forums!

Thanks again!

Latest Discussions