Wasting time

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From the book - Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
Chapter Title “Do Not Disturb”

This is from a conversation between Joe Hyams, Sterling Silliphant and Bruce Lee

On one such occasion we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time. Bruce was the first to speak.
“To spend time is to pass it in a specific manner” he said. “We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.

“It is the most precious commodity we have, “agreed Sterling. “I always view my time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts. Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left. So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then ask myself, ‘Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project? Is it worth it or is it wasting my time?’ If I consider the project time-worthy I do it.

“I apply this same yardstick to my social relations. I will not permit people to steal my time. I have limited my friends to those people with whom time passes happily. There are moments in my life - necessary moments - when I don’t do anything but what is my choice. The choice of how I spend my time is mine, and it is not dictated by social convention”

After Sterling finished talking, Bruce looked into space for a few moments. When he finally spoke, it was to ask if he could make a telephone call.
When he came back, Bruce was smiling. “I just cancelled an appointment.” he said. “It was with someone who wanted to waste my time and not help me spend it”

I think it is time for me to re-read Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Think I'll have to find a copy of the book and read it.

I have to agree with a part of it I only have a vary limited amount of friends that I spend time with and they are people that I am happy with even if we sit saying nothing

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Over the last few days I have become painfully aware that I am "wasting time" and that section of the book just popped into my head as I was driving to work this morning.

I think it was the "As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left" that got me this weekend and got me thinking about this

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love that book. Some call it fluff, but I don't care what they think, I've always loved it. Haven't read it in a while, but I'm going to dig it up and read it again.

But as for "wasting time"....I have a different opinion. If there is a particular task, a deadline, a goal - be it a short term goal or a longer term one, even a life goal, and it's not being addressed....yeah, sure, that's probably wasting time. Other than that, it would depend. I've worked hard at times in my life, and worked not so hard at others. But it was still work - even if I enjoyed what I was doing, which I did. But the down time, the time sitting peacefully reading, the time spent with friends, the times hanging out with my dog, just me and him spending a few days doing absolutely nothing but nonsense.....ah, man, give me that any old day.

If I had the resources to never work again and never worry about money - I'd spend the rest of my God given days training, chilling, reading, watching movies and wasting time. (with a big emphasis on the wasting time part) I like to think I'm pretty good at it. :)

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love that book. Some call it fluff, but I don't care what they think, I've always loved it. Haven't read it in a while, but I'm going to dig it up and read it again.

But as for "wasting time"....I have a different opinion. If there is a particular task, a deadline, a goal - be it a short term goal or a longer term one, even a life goal, and it's not being addressed....yeah, sure, that's probably wasting time. Other than that, it would depend. I've worked hard at times in my life, and worked not so hard at others. But it was still work - even if I enjoyed what I was doing, which I did. But the down time, the time sitting peacefully reading, the time spent with friends, the times hanging out with my dog, just me and him spending a few days doing absolutely nothing but nonsense.....ah, man, give me that any old day.

If I had the resources to never work again and never worry about money - I'd spend the rest of my God given days training, chilling, reading, watching movies and wasting time. (with a big emphasis on the wasting time part) I like to think I'm pretty good at it. :)

Is that really wasting time, though? Waiting in line at the DMV, being stuck in traffic, being stuck on hold with Comcast, these things waste my time. But I wouldn't consider laying on the couch with my wife binge watching House of Cards wasted time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that really wasting time, though? Waiting in line at the DMV, being stuck in traffic, being stuck on hold with Comcast, these things waste my time. But I wouldn't consider laying on the couch with my wife binge watching House of Cards wasted time.

Precisely.

Even doing 'nothing' may not be a waste of time (unless you are Amish)

There is a chapter about 'doing nothing' in the book as well!
(gave it to my sabum when he got 6th degree)

Latest Discussions