Was told to not come back to the class!

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to teach black belt level kenpo classes at a local school, and even people with a couple of years of martial arts training wouldn't have been able to either keep up with the physical intensity or participate in the training at that level. I had a black belt workout at my house a few weeks ago where we trained, combatively, to the point of exhaustion and minor injuries. Beginners wouldn't be able to keep up with that. And we aren't professional athletes. We're just some dudes. Civilians. Average Joe American. Hell, I'm a hundred pounds overweight and I've run fit young men into the ground in our training. You can't jump in at the top level. It takes years to adjust to that kind of training. Even when you aren't doing it professionally. -Rob

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitness is activity specific. I can train for hours without a problem -- but I'd kick your *** if you told me to run 3 miles. That's what they make cars and bicycles and radios for! I used to laugh at one guy who looked to be in fantastic shape -- but would invariably gas out about halfway through the second round of a fight. Why? Because he was training for looks, not the specific combination of endurance needed for fighting.

The OP may well be in pretty good shape -- but doing a kickboxing/MMA workout could very possibly have been beyond his ability. Especially if he doesn't have any prior martial arts training.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pro or not, the tale is too fangirl-ish/fanboy-ish. What's starkly missing is love and respect for the sport.

Most folks get in to sports for the love of the game, not because the guys on the team are swell and they wanna be around them. And the people that love the game, find a way to do it no matter what. Ever see guys in wheelchairs playing hockey? They strategize, shoot, score, rotate, and yes...fight...they just do it on sleds instead of skates. Its hockey! That's the love of the game.

Some years ago, I had a Dell rep that was big in to running. Apparantly Austin has a pretty big fitness scene. He thought he was one of the best runners in the park, when some jacketed blur sped past him........navigating a baby jogger. The blur? Lance Armstrong. He says he saw Lance out a few times and each time he saw him, he would try to keep up. He never could, at least not for very long. I don't think he was outraged that Lance didn't stop or ask the guy to run with him. On the contrary, he thought being schooled by a pro athlete pushing a baby carriage was inspiring in some ways and damn funny in others. That's respect for the sport.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like someone needs a lesson in humility and practicality.

You can't just step into an advanced training seminar, no matter how good of an athlete you are.

For one thing, your body isn't ready to handle the rigors of such a training method. Even if you're athletic, you might not have the right level of athleticism to step into such a workout. Furthermore, it takes time to develop the right kind of conditioning. The class you attended was for an advanced group, who has had the proper conditioning.

Second, you do not have the fundamentals needed to train at a high level just yet. It's no different than a white belt who asks me to teach him kata Unsu (one of the most difficult in the Shotokan system), and he gets frustrated when his stances are wobbly, and that he falls flat on his face when trying to execute the vaunted 540 degree manuver at the end.

The coach was entirely in the right, for telling you to better prepare yourself the next time around. Once you have accumulated significant martial arts experience in a respectable system, under a good instructor, then you may find yourself ready to handle the rigors.

I'm going to be even blunter than the others here. Your situation reminds me of the movie "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back."

In a nutshell, you should think of yourself as Luke Skywalker, who only had a very short time of training, even though he had superior talent. After getting your hand chopped off by the highly skilled and practiced Darth Vader in a one-sided lightsaber duel, you had to retreat.

Now, what you do after having retreated is going to shape how you'll develop. If you choose to be patient, train hard in the arts, do some studying, then the next time around, you may very well end up beating the Dark Lord of the Sith. You're going to have to face the music first, though, and in my best Master Yoda impersonation:

"No. Unfortunate that you rushed to face him… that incomplete was your training. Not ready for the burden were you."

Again, think of this as a test for you. If you train first, and then ready yourself for the next time around, I honestly believe that the coach will be very impressed with you, that you had the fortitude to overcome your previous obstacles, and became a stronger person as a result.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On another note, we all have to start somewhere.

We were all neophytes at one time.

In your case, you need to realize that you must build up your endurance the right way, and that's by training in the arts first, rather than to rely on sheer athleticism. If you can learn this, then your previous athleticism will give you a boost, once you've built things up properly, and may even give you a leg up on the others. However, let's be patient, and start from scratch.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The OP refers to his roommate as a "professional kickboxer." I can't think of any professional sport where I could show up on the practice field with zero experience or knowledge in the sport and expect to keep up or be welcome.

:eye-popping: You...you mean...just cuz I drive a car I can't jump in a formula one racer and race at Le Mans and just because I can walk I cannot go join the US Olympic Track Team :disgust: ...DAMN!!!! :uhyeah:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
:eye-popping: You...you mean...just cuz I drive a car I can't jump in a formula one racer and race at Le Mans and just because I can walk I cannot go join the US Olympic Track Team :disgust: ...DAMN!!!! :uhyeah:

...Of... Course you can... buddy...
Dont let anyone ruin your Dreams!

And various other nonsense.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Is for true...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
...Of...Course you can... buddy...
Dont letanyone ruin your Dreams!

Andvarious other nonsense.

Good...well then... since I train Martial Arts I am off to challenge Wladimir Klitschko for his heavy weight boxing title

Isfor true...

Oh....well then.... I'm off for a cup of tea instead… after that Wladimir Klitschko…maybe :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good...well then... since I train Martial Arts I am off to challenge Wladimir Klitschko for his heavy weight boxing title

Oh....well then.... I'm off for a cup of tea instead… after that Wladimir Klitschko…maybe :D

Hammer fixes everything!

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would ask what kind of workouts you could do to get ready to train with them. I didn't hear you say that he told you not to come back. I heard him say not to come back until you could keep up. To me, this would be a motivator to get into the kind of shape it would take to complete their workout. At the same time, you could find another place to train, get some experience, and then try again.

If they are a team, they are only as strong as their weakest link. They don't want that. They want every member to be elite. If you are not there now, get there and quit whining about them having high standards.

Why do you think cops get along best with other cops? Or special forces with other special forces? Because they have common experiences and interests. You don't just walk into a group and become one of the guys. You have to earn your spot. Pay your dues so to speak. Nobody likes a whiner. Put in the work and make them want you.

Sorry if this is offensive, but I get tired of groups or organizations lowering their standards to allow weaker people to be able to join them. This is BS. I don't care who you are, what you look like, what kind of education you have, or how much money you have. Can you do what is expected of everyone else in the group? Did you do what they had to do to get there? That is what matters. You do those things, you will be accepted.

James

deathinshadows

White Belt
Reaction score
Howzit dude.

Some things to consider. I personally teach martial arts and very seldom other guys even from our own system can join my school. They all want to, but never last. Here you are dealing with a group of guys who put in the time. You didn't. You don't mention how old you are and when last you played sports. But the average gym workout is nothing compared to elite athletes. Exercises they do will seem strange and therefore their bodies and minds are conditioned differently. Simply put, you are not good enough. Put in the time. We all had to start somewhere. I think it will be a bit arrogant to simply tell the coach you want to be on the team and he must help you. Speak to your mate first. And stop abusing the friendship to your advantage. Take his advice. But learn which questions to ask. If you simply ask How can i get on the team? The response will be farting against a thunderstorm. Ask what exercises you should do. What conditioning exercises you must do. WHat you should focus on. Be specific. And hopefully you can earn your spot amongst them and not get there with the help and good words of a friend. Because believe it or not. He vouched for you, and now you reflect badly on him. Think about your actions and stick your ego in your pocket.
Good luck

Latest Discussions