was i wrong

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May have even LOOKED like one to the judges, and the result was the same. But it wasn't a punch.

The mechanics were not that of a punch. It was simply the arm coming forward in a straight position as the hip was drawn back on the other side, with no intention to strike the other person.

FWIW, I didn't question the judges decision. But I DO know there was no intention on my part — I was concentrating on the reverse punch to his body I was about to throw.
Considering Bruce Lee's One inch punch (push), locking out your front hand, from an un-locked out position, is a punch; because, you have provided the motion with body alignment. Your intentions are of no concern.
Sean

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have found that it all depends on who is hosting the tournament. I have one in my area that is a yearly event. The school that hosts it uses it's own people to judge. To give an example of this...One of my students was kicked in the groin 2 times by a student of the host the 2nd time it broke his cup. the student was not disquaified nor did he have points taken away. But when my student responded with a spinning back kick and sent the guy outside the cricle on his rearend my student was disqualified for using excessive force.
That year only the hosts students won trophies and all others won only medals. I lodged a complaint to the host to no avail. I have never competed in that tournament again.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think you were wrong. I wasn't there though, you did the right thing by not arguing.

Welcome to MT.

Latest Discussions