Good news: passed 2nd dan test. Bad news: not sure I deserve the rank

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, for those who don't like to read long, self-disclosure posts...here's the Cliff notes version.

I passed my second Dan test last night. I survived. it was grueling. It was also my worst performance on a test....ever. Right now, I'm not sure I deserve the rank.

OK, for the rest of you who, here's a blow by blow of what happened.
Going into this test...I knew it was going to be tough. The test is long. It is demanding both physically and mentally and easily the toughest test in our curriculum (except for 3rd dan). I was looking for a perfect....there were a few things I was pretty sure would be rough. I'm not one of those people who goes to pieces because he didn't get a perfect score.

The test starts out with physical skills....50 knuckle push ups and 100 "rowing exercises" (a simultaneous crunch and reverse crunch). Normally on any given day, I can bang 50 push ups no problem...been doing it for years, sometimes, the last 5 or so are kind of ragged. I generally struggle More with the rowing excercises...however, due to rigorous physical conditioning that I've mentioned elsewhere of the course of the last couple of years, I can usually squeak out those 100 reps. What happens is that I start dieing at 30 push ups and I fail to hit 50 without three rests. My body just couldn't do it. I didn't;t even make it to 50 rowing exercises before my stamina goes...then my from, then something pops in my lower back and that starts screaming in pain for the remainder of the set which I squeak out 5 at a time. I'm now angry, embarrassed and utterly confused...why can't I do these things? I do them ALL THE TIME! WTF??

Next we go into forms. I'm responsible to know my creation form (20 moves), the 8 taeguk forms, koryo and Keum gang as well as 5 Heian kata, kata bassai dai and kata kwanku dai (we start studying Japanese forms at part of the ee dan curriculum).

My creation form goes OK, but I'm exhausted already. I just don't recover from the frickin' physical skills and after going through it a couple of times I'm having a hard time maintaining solid stances. My goal just becomes do the next move....don't puke. The examiner expressed his concerns with my conditioning at this point.

I then do Kata Kwanku dai a couple of times (leaving out 4 moves the first run through....1 move the second)...THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED. My knowledge of forms is generally one of my strengths...as is my ability to regain focus after a screw up (concert pianist training has it's benefits)....but not tonight apparently. It's like I'm trying to think through mud....and I'm sucking wind so bad it's not funny. It felt like when I was awhile belt at my first serious conditioning class...not like a guy whose been training seriously and working on this stuff for 18 months or more.

From Kwanku, we went to kata Bassai dai...memory was better, but physical exhaustion killed my execution.

We took a break for forms to do falling skills with the cho dan students. I was supposed to dive over seven people long ways and 3 people solar plexus high. I can really only do 5 (6 on a really good day) and solar plexus high ain't happening for one of my height and build (tall and squat). SO I did 5 people long and 3 people midway between belt and solar plexus. I knew that would be the case...no bigger.

Back to forms. Moved to the Korean forms, keum gang followed by koryo. Same story, exhausted, sucking wind, trying not to puke. Very confused as to what's happening to me. Not happy.

The highlight of my test (i you can call it that) came with my creation self-defense. I was to create self defense techniques that demonstrated attacks to 7 vital points in the front of the face. I used some techs from poomse and kata and these came out really well. I was able to slow the pace down some. The only hitch was, when I vetted these before the test, the instructor who saw them indicated that as most of them were things like two hand grabs and the like...not one side attacks....I'd not have to do those both sides (doesn't make sense, y'know/) However...my examiner ( a different guy) wanted to see everything on both sides...had to do some fancy adjusting.

My creation gun defenses (two of them) wen well and were well received (that was good)

My required self defense techniques and punch sparring (15 techs in all) got pretty ugly...spomewhere early on, I felt something tweak in my right hamstring. So kneeling (which there was plenty) let alone walking became a chore (with my back still hurting and all). What little jumping skill I had was seriously compromised as well. Ugly comes to mind.

From there came sparring. I wasn't any more refreshed. It was lackluster t best. I was just trying to get out alive....and not puking. A situation that seemed imminent most of the time at this point. After sparring came grappling. Aside form being tired and injured...I had to go against this young 15 y.o. kid who is 6' 5" tall...he's like a big, wiry spider monkey. Even though I could probably out lift him in just about any power lifting contest, no matter what position I was in, there's arms and legs everywhere. A nightmare. He tapped my out twice, once with a choke and once when he yanked my arm across my body and something went in my shoulder (yep, injury #3!)

We finished with breaking. 3 required breaks, 4 creative breaks. I've done all these breaks, multiple times, with little or no problem. The only factor is my broken toe from August is just barely healed....I knew this going in and was prepared to switch legs on some of the kicks if necessary. I picked out great boards...a month ago. They were just sitting in my house. I was good to go.

It was the worst thing on my test and a great way to close out things. My breakers were 2 boards, jumping front hook kick speed (required), 1 board jumping reverse roundhouse speed (required), hammer fist through 2 two-inch concrete blocks (requires), 4 station break (side kick front, side kick back, spinning hammer fist left and jumping elbow to the right), 3" punch through 2 boards and blindfolded jumping side kick through 1 board.

Of those breaks, I did 2 of them on the first try. I outright failed the speed breaks and the 3" punch. Missed one station on the 4 station break. Th highlight was the concrete block break...I only got to [practice it ponce, I failed to break the second block...broke it fine this time (small miracle it would seem).

My holders said they thought my boards were a little heavy....I'm assuming they picked up some moisture when we got all the rain recently...but I don;t know. I tried those beaks so many times that my feet are black and blue...and I think I re-injured my bad toe.

At the end, the examiner asked my how I thought things went and I just said "lousy". He passed me anyway. Part of me just wants to give the belt back, but I'm afraid it would be seen as an insult....and to be honest, I don't think I could face doing another 6 months of the kind of training I'd need to do to overcome such clear deficits right now.

What really kills me is that i prepared. I worked so hard to get ready...I KNEW my forms. My cardio was such that I should've been able to make it through anything they threw at me (maybe breathing heavy, but not in danger of hoarking all over the mat). I'm looking for where I somehow failed to do what was required of me prior to this test and I just don't see it. So why the hell did things go down this way? I can see one or even two things going bad....but pretty much the whole test?\

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. If you made it to the end of this post...congrats! Not much else to say...i was hoping to have a more positive message for y'all. It's l;ate...I really oughtta get to bed. Maybe some rest will give me some perspective.

Peace,
Erik

P.S. I know I promised pictures, but my wife tells me that the few pictures she got, I look miserable and pissed off. Not sure I really want to post that stuff.

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't castigate yourself too much, Blue. In my experience about the only time you don't deserve to hold a a rank/pass an examination is when you feel that you do :D.

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never feel as if I deserve my rank, in fact after a year off training I insisted on having to earn back my place as a black tip before I could wear it again! So perhaps I am not the best person to comment here, but we are always are own harshest critics.

You trained hard, you know you can do the requirements, that's what counts regardless of how the actual grading went. Your instructor knows you have earned it and deserve it, and by your description it is no Mcdojo. We can always be better, so as long as we don't let ourselves stagnate due to assumed rank, its all meaningless anyway.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations blue, don't be so hard on your self, the test was hard enough.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps the reason you passed is because, despite everything else, you didn't quit.

I assume your instructors know your general capabilities so the challenge was to deal with the pressure of the test situation -- which you did.

Rather than worry about your performance last night -- set yourself the goal of being good enough to support the rank every day from now on.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps your performance was better than you assess it to be. Have some more faith in yourself.

Promotions are often celebrated, but they can and should be an occasion for humility as well. I once had something like this happen, but mine came with such a harsh review that I was surprised I passed. In the locker room, the instructor asked what I learned from this experience and I replied that I felt I knew about 5% of what there was out there. He told me that the experience, then, had been worthwhile after all.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no one ever feels like the deserve the rank, so get over it, look at it this way, if you think you dont deserve it, then you are saying in effect "i am smarter than you" to the person that graded you.

bad idea, right?

then dont do it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You passed Congrats

If you do not feel you deserve it ( and many do not when they advance in rank) work hard to better your slef and you will find that you do deserve it

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the club.

I suffered the same self-flagellation after my recent dan test. One of my instructors finally told me, "With all due respect, several of us who have been doing this a good bit longer than you think you did pass."

Translation: Shut your mouth and train.

I got the message. Even if I still don't agree.

Joel

DerekB

White Belt
Reaction score
Your testers know your abilities or they would not have let you test. Sometimes the pressure or stress of the test overcomes us during the actual test. We are our own worst critic anyways so as previously stated, you passed the test and have earned the rank. If yu still have doubts prove too yourself that you deserve the rank by continue learnig and sharing this art with lower students.
My 2nd Dan test felt the same way, I thought that it was crap and that I wasn't doing my best. Well when I watched it all later it looked good. But my Master asked me the same question my answer was " I could have done better". Your answer if you did as bad as you think might have been the reason you passed, be it truth or humility.

Still congatulations are still in order.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind replies guys. Lesson learned, don't emotionally post at 3:00 in the morning. Did not mean to whine so much....

Anyways, while I'm still disappointed with how things went....it is my sincerest intention to grow into and fully deserve this rank. Those things that I outright failed to do this time around I will succeed to do in future tests (especially the &^%&$! breaks).

I know part of it is that I choose to study TKD...and as an art with a rep for easy belts, yadda yadda yadda...I don't want to be perceived as a sort of paper tiger. Also, I hold myself to a high standard because that is the right thing to do...it's one of the ways I motivate myself to improve. Not meeting my standards stings a bit....even if the performance was "good enough." Anyway, I've e pretty much got the sulking out of my system. Thanks for the encouragement.

Live and learn.

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The instructors seemed to think that on that day your performance was good enough to get the new rank. You know you can do better, they probably do, too.

It's like a driver's license. You know how to drive, but you really learn while driving. See it as the entrance exam. ;)

Congratulations!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
First off I would like to say Congrats on a test well done. I say well done because a test is suppose to push you to your limits. It is designed to do this. You do not have to pass everything with flying colors, if that were the case then the test is too easy. Sometime to pass is to fail (in your eyes), and see how you react to it. You did an awesome job in pushing threw and not giving up.

One of the hardest things to do is to think while you are dead tired and putting forms after depriving the brain of oxygen is a great way to test your mind and focus. Small mistakes here and there are ok as long as you just don't give up. Anyone can do the form when well rested, so what kind of test would that be. The real test is what you experienced and push threw and passed.

Give youself a pat on the back for a job well done.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't want to be perceived as a sort of paper tiger.

I think that is a very real concern. Not just with TKD, with any art. If the grading standards are too soft, then did you really earn it? Or was it handed to you because you showed up, and the ACH hasn't bounced?

If this was all material that your instructors have seen you do well on a consistent basis before....but you didn't do that well on the test, then you just had a bad day.

If this was material that you haven't done well on a consistent basis before, but you passed anyway....that may be cause for some introspection on your path and its goals.

To me it sounds like ya done good. :asian: Congratulations. :partyon:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
bluekey88

Congratulations. To be frank with you I think that your nerves got a hold of you a bit. Instead of thinking about I coulda, woulda, shoulda, think about what you did well. Most of it probably went extremely well or you would not have passed. Use the things that you learned from the test to help you in future tests then the experience was worth it. :rolleyes:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
What really kills me is that i prepared. I worked so hard to get ready...I KNEW my forms. My cardio was such that I should've been able to make it through anything they threw at me (maybe breathing heavy, but not in danger of hoarking all over the mat). I'm looking for where I somehow failed to do what was required of me prior to this test and I just don't see it. So why the hell did things go down this way? I can see one or even two things going bad....but pretty much the whole test?
Could just be a combination of over training and nerves. It seems to be that if I'm gonna space something, it's going to be during a belt test. I think I'd be more worried if I wasn't concerned about my performance after a test.

Congrats. You determine the worth of the belt you hold, so just keep going.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on your second Dan!

I think most of us are harder on ourselves than anything else. Our goal in training is to be better today than we were yesterday. Train hard & you'll feel more comfortable in your new "skin". Your only regret should be if you didn't give it 100%.

I am very much like you in this regard. I'm hard on myself with my performance. (And we are not alone!) You need only to do your best: & beat yourself up that you're not like the next guy.

All my best to you & again, congratulations!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't castigate yourself too much, Blue. In my experience about the only time you don't deserve to hold a a rank/pass an examination is when you feel that you do :D.

Could not have said it any better!!!