Warning, somewhat gruesome picture attached…

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train with live blades because I enjoy it. Simple as that.

It is my belief, based only on my own intuition, that some bad habits can develop if one only trains with blunted blades. It is easy to get relaxed and careless when you know the blade can’t (or is less likely) to hurt you if you are careless. So you may never develop the presence of mind needed when handling a live blade that can hurt you with a simple slip or error. When the live blade is what you usually handle, that level of caution becomes automatic. I am very much aware of where the blade is.

I would never spar or do partner contact drills with a live blade. I practice fundamentals and cuts, and forms with a live blade. Only non-partner stuff.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I managed to put myself into the emergency room on Tuesday night. I was working on my dao in the back yard and stabbed myself in the lower leg. Three deep stitches and eight staples to close it. It’s a wakeup call. I got inattentive and careless. It could have been much worse, in many ways.

I was the highlight of the night for the emergency room staff. 🙂
Ouch! Heal fast.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But why do you need ‘real’ blades at all? You are never going to need one. Blunted blades will hurt you but they’re not as likely to cut through tendons, nerves and chi channels 😐
A dull or blunted blade may do much worse -- lacerations rather than incisions, broken bones, and I'm sure Dirty Dog can add a few more examples.

There's certainly a place for blunted, "Nerf" blades. And there's also a place for live steel...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard a rumor that there is a connection between alcohol and babies...

We're totally derailing this thread. I offer an apology and further wishes for speedy healing.
Well... they're terrible for mixing a cocktail.

If you can get a baby into the glass, they just spill it everywhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, it’s like someone who does something and then decides it’s not dangerous enough. Like the motorcycle guys who ride poorly maintained bikes without helmets, while wearing shorts and flip flops. They may argue it’s because they want to, and that’s fine. But you can’t really say it’s making their motorcycle riding skill better because it forces them to focus more on avoiding a crash.

Or someone who doesn’t like to wear eye protection while operating a table saw because they “see” better without it.

I find those explanations flimsy and arbitrary. It’s fine to take unnecessary risks, but I’m going to judge you for it. 😁
I don't make any claims about whether my judgment in this case is good or not. :p I just explain the reasoning, such as it is.

I honestly find it akin to the reason I liked rock climbing. I could do a very similar activity on a climbing wall in a store. But the uncertainty of the natural surface is part of the appeal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train with live blades because I enjoy it. Simple as that.
This was the essential point I was getting at earlier. Those of us who train with sharp blades do it for more or less the same reason we train swords, at all: because we like to. There are some technical reasons (Tony touched on them) for doing so, but mostly I think it's because we want to.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't make any claims about whether my judgment in this case is good or not. :p I just explain the reasoning, such as it is.

I honestly find it akin to the reason I liked rock climbing. I could do a very similar activity on a climbing wall in a store. But the uncertainty of the natural surface is part of the appeal.
See, I would say it’s more like rock climbing without safety gear. Sure, some may argue the fear of falling to your death focuses you more, but does it help you become a better rock climber?

Ultimately, as I said, it’s your baby, do what you want. I think it’s pretty dumb.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This was the essential point I was getting at earlier. Those of us who train with sharp blades do it for more or less the same reason we train swords, at all: because we like to. There are some technical reasons (Tony touched on them) for doing so, but mostly I think it's because we want to.
There we go.

And when I see a guy in a motorcycle wearing shorts and flip flops and think, “what an idiot.” I see a middle aged, white dude spinning around a sharp blade like he’s in a low budget wushu demo, and…. 😀

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
See, I would say it’s more like rock climbing without safety gear. Sure, some may argue the fear of falling to your death focuses you more, but does it help you become a better rock climber?

Ultimately, as I said, it’s your baby, do what you want. I think it’s pretty dumb.
So you never do anything except the safest thing possible?
Seems kind of a sad way to live, to me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So you never do anything except the safest thing possible?
Seems kind of a sad way to live, to me.
I didn’t say that at all, though I guess if it’s a choice between reasonable safety and negligence, I do tend to lean against negligence. I get the impression you’re a shorts and flip flops guy. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I managed to put myself into the emergency room on Tuesday night. I was working on my dao in the back yard and stabbed myself in the lower leg. Three deep stitches and eight staples to close it. It’s a wakeup call. I got inattentive and careless. It could have been much worse, in many ways.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I’m sorry to hear this. Take care and speedy recovery.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t say that at all, though I guess if it’s a choice between reasonable safety and negligence, I do tend to lean against negligence. I get the impression you’re a shorts and flip flops guy. It wouldn’t surprise me.
So basically, if someone takes risks that YOU find acceptable, that's entirely reasonable. Otherwise they're an "idiot"?

And just FYI, you might be surprised at how much emphasis there is on safety in the "dangerous" things I do.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weird, my first post vanished. 2nd try.

4edb1417281821c99735e66727c7573e.png

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So basically, if someone takes risks that YOU find acceptable, that's entirely reasonable. Otherwise they're an "idiot"?

And just FYI, you might be surprised at how much emphasis there is on safety in the "dangerous" things I do.
I really don’t know why you think this is about you at all.

But kind of, yeah. If you do things I think are idiotic, I’m going to think you’re an idiot. You in the general sense, not specifically you as an individual. Regarding what emphasis on safety you have, I wouldn’t know. But if you do actually emphasize safety as much as you say, first, great. I’m happy for you and I probably wouldn’t shake my head and silently judge you for doing something stupid.

Second, why are you so defensive? You’re acting a little irrationally right now. Is it my use of the term idiot? Is that what has caused your snit?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don’t know why you think this is about you at all.
Well gee, you described a person doing something you think is unsafe as an idiot, and said you think I'm one of that sort. In a reply to me. So who would ever think you were talking about me?
But kind of, yeah. If you do things I think are idiotic, I’m going to think you’re an idiot.
Even though in many of those cases you (as an individual) know nothing about what safety precautions are in place.
You in the general sense, not specifically you as an individual. Regarding what emphasis on safety you have, I wouldn’t know.
It's not difficult to find out. For example, cave diving. People taking the not-easy training required to get certified for that sort of diving are not taking classes on how to dive. They already know that. They're taking classes with innocuous titles, but which could all easily be titled "What can go wrong; how to prevent it and how to fix it if it does."
But if you do actually emphasize safety as much as you say, first, great. I’m happy for you and I probably wouldn’t shake my head and silently judge you for doing something stupid.
I feel so happy to hear that.
Second, why are you so defensive? You’re acting a little irrationally right now. Is it my use of the term idiot? Is that what has caused your snit?
Are you wearing flip flops right now?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well gee, you described a person doing something you think is unsafe as an idiot, and said you think I'm one of that sort. In a reply to me. So who would ever think you were talking about me?
Well, I mean you’re so defensive, it seemed like you were internalizing my post… I think it’s reasonable to suspect you may see yourself in the analogies. If that’s not the case, I really do wonder why you’re so upset.
Even though in many of those cases you (as an individual) know nothing about what safety precautions are in place.
I’m sorry. When did I bring up cave diving? I’m pretty sure I didn’t.

I feel so happy to hear that.

Are you wearing flip flops right now?
You’re an odd dude. I like flip flops, but not while I’m on a bike or motorcycle. Don’t recommend them when you’re mowing the lawn, either.

You good now? Feel better?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I mean you’re so defensive, it seemed like you were internalizing my post… I think it’s reasonable to suspect you may see yourself in the analogies. If that’s not the case, I really do wonder why you’re so upset.

I’m sorry. When did I bring up cave diving? I’m pretty sure I didn’t.

You’re an odd dude. I like flip flops, but not while I’m on a bike or motorcycle. Don’t recommend them when you’re mowing the lawn, either.

You good now? Feel better?

TLDR - NO and No

To be honest Steve, I read this totally different.
I read it you called people idiots.
Then you assumed that a member of this forum was in the group you called idiots.

Then you tried to gaslight with your condescending comments and remarks.

My Opinion. I am disappointed in this action. - Just my Opinion.

So, no I don't feel better. I feel like you are trolling this board and its' members.
I feel to assume with you that maybe you are off your meds, or have a personal issue that is having you lash out in a passive aggressive manner.

I am sorry this thread has ended here, it makes me wonder what the "REAL" Issue is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions