Warning, somewhat gruesome picture attached…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two words. Zombie. Apocalypse.

Dammit…the ‘Zombie Apocalypse clause’. I yield!
I have a lot of work to do on my cutting technique before I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. Flesh wounds won't do the trick - you've got to reliably be able to remove limbs or heads. Thrusts are probably out as well - they'd probably just run up your blade to bite you.

Hmmm ... I think what I need to prepare for the ZA is buhurt gear. Full coverage plate to prevent bites and a poleaxe to smash in brains.

(Are we talking slow or fast zombies? For slow zombies you just need a bit of situational awareness and a good pair of sneakers.)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of work to do on my cutting technique before I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. Flesh wounds won't do the trick - you've got to reliably be able to remove limbs or heads. Thrusts are probably out as well - they'd probably just run up your blade to bite you.

Hmmm ... I think what I need to prepare for the ZA is buhurt gear. Full coverage plate to prevent bites and a poleaxe to smash in brains.

(Are we talking slow or fast zombies? For slow zombies you just need a bit of situational awareness and a good pair of sneakers.)
You’re scaring me now…I’m not reading anymore posts 😭

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I managed to put myself into the emergency room on Tuesday night. I was working on my dao in the back yard and stabbed myself in the lower leg. Three deep stitches and eight staples to close it. It’s a wakeup call. I got inattentive and careless. It could have been much worse, in many ways.

I was the highlight of the night for the emergency room staff. 🙂
Ouch!

Heal well, brother.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errr. I don’t think so.
Why not?

I practice sword because I like practicing sword - it's a different challenge. That exact same answer can be used to explain why I sometimes practice with a live sword.

If someone studies swords (I'm thinking ryuha here) because they want to follow and maintain the traditional practices, they'll practice with a live sword for the same reason (yes, there's more to that decision, but it seems to boil down to much the same answer).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But why do you need ‘real’ blades at all? You are never going to need one. Blunted blades will hurt you but they’re not as likely to cut through tendons, nerves and chi channels 😐

My dao is real, but not sharp, and it cut a copper bracket without any problem at all with no damage at all to the blade

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why not?

I practice sword because I like practicing sword - it's a different challenge. That exact same answer can be used to explain why I sometimes practice with a live sword.

If someone studies swords (I'm thinking ryuha here) because they want to follow and maintain the traditional practices, they'll practice with a live sword for the same reason (yes, there's more to that decision, but it seems to boil down to much the same answer).
In my opinion, it’s like someone who does something and then decides it’s not dangerous enough. Like the motorcycle guys who ride poorly maintained bikes without helmets, while wearing shorts and flip flops. They may argue it’s because they want to, and that’s fine. But you can’t really say it’s making their motorcycle riding skill better because it forces them to focus more on avoiding a crash.

Or someone who doesn’t like to wear eye protection while operating a table saw because they “see” better without it.

I find those explanations flimsy and arbitrary. It’s fine to take unnecessary risks, but I’m going to judge you for it. 😁

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dao is real, but not sharp, and it cut a copper bracket without any problem at all with no damage at all to the blade
The idea that a dull blade won't hurt you is a myth. Blunt injuries are harder to repair and leave more scarring.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just don’t get it. The skill is the same either way.

I guess some folks just want to take unnecessary risk. 🤷‍♂️

In my opinion, it’s like someone who does something and then decides it’s not dangerous enough. Like the motorcycle guys who ride poorly maintained bikes without helmets, while wearing shorts and flip flops. They may argue it’s because they want to, and that’s fine. But you can’t really say it’s making their motorcycle riding skill better because it forces them to focus more on avoiding a crash.

Or someone who doesn’t like to wear eye protection while operating a table saw because they “see” better without it.

I find those explanations flimsy and arbitrary. It’s fine to take unnecessary risks, but I’m going to judge you for it. 😁
See my explanation here for the utility of sharp blades in sword practice. There are skills that you won't be able to properly test with a blunt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It might very well do just that. I know that I focus much more intently when I'm driving 150MPH on a track than when I'm driving 75 on the interstate. I focus a lot more when I'm squeezing through a no-mount restriction in a cave than when I'm doing an open water drift dive in 40 feet of water.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It might very well do just that. I know that I focus much more intently when I'm driving 150MPH on a track than when I'm driving 75 on the interstate. I focus a lot more when I'm squeezing through a no-mount restriction in a cave than when I'm doing an open water drift dive in 40 feet of water.
I do miss the days of unrestricted access and such to closed tracks.
And soon after I joined that company, it changed that over 100 MPH required cage, "5 point harness", helmet and special training.
Yet I found even the circle track at 99 mph for a few laps was enough to get the feel out of myself for that level of speed.
And yes one (me or I ) does pay attention when doing such maneuvers and techniques.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nearly forty years of training martial arts, about 22-23 years with swords and other sharp weapons, and this is the first time I’ve taken a nasty cut or put myself in the emergency room. Pay attention to what you are doing folks. It can take a bad turn in an instant. Glad I did it to myself and not to a training partner or a student. Not sure I could handle that kind of guilt.

After a short period of training I had bought a couple of swords. Decent edge.
I was practicing draw and return to scabbard with one hand and one motion.
I know I missed once, but didn't feel anything so I continued to practice.
Later when I took my clothes off to shower and get ready to head out for a night of fun, I realized my pants had a hole in them.
And that there was another hole in them the same size about 1/5-2 inches apart.
I then and a light bulb moment and checked my skin as there was no blood.
And my boxers also had the same sets of holes.
In through pants, through cotton boxers, and back out through both and along skin for about 1/5 to 2 inches.
I made notes.
I reviewed what I did wrong.
I realized I needed to slow down.
Later ( months / year or so ) I coined the phrase for myself - Familiarity breeds contempt.
People feel comfortable and familiar and they ignore safety or they ignore ...

If I laugh, it is because I have done something similar and share your pain.
I do wish you the best and quickest healing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So the only thing allowed is mixing babies and alcohol. Got it.
I've heard a rumor that there is a connection between alcohol and babies...

We're totally derailing this thread. I offer an apology and further wishes for speedy healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions