Wanted to mention

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks, Xue Sheng. I just had a last minute VISA crisis that was thankfully resolved with my own sweat and blood. THANK GOD I CAN SPEAK CHINESE.

It sounds like the MA community there is better than the places where I've been, but I may have found a Bagua teacher (Or two) in Guilin.

It doesn't help that young Chinese are more interested in computer games than their own martial legacy..

The "schools" that cater to Westerners are the worst. Most Chinese students pay no more than 50元 per month if they don't live in the school. And they can go to class every day. The live ins pay no more than 1500元 per month (For absolute luxury). Foreigners easily pay that much per week. :S

True. My experience is mostly based on the South (But also including big cities like Guangzhou). Where I live right now (Chongqing) is said to be the largest city in the world (Urban sprawl) and it is certainly the fastest "developing" city in the world, but it is a peasant city so I was able to find little of value here. Small cities that are more cultured tend to have something and I Chengdu and Kunming, because they are more internationally known, are vastly superior to this ******** in every way.

Anyways, see you ... LATER. Keep up the good work, Reverend. Tell them THE TRUTH!

Yup the kids all want to play on computers now (hey...wait a minute.... I'M on a computer :) )Beijing is mainly internal style, some great teachers, some good teachers, some not so good teachers. And even the great generally will charge a westerner more. And Beijing, from what little I know about Chengdu, is very different from Chengdu, if for no other reason it is were the Government is... and they are getting the Olympics now too… must be kind to rich foreigners you know ;)

And good luck with the move, hope it all goes well.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice thread- thoroughly enjoyed reading through this. I know this might be a little off topic, but do you think a similar situation may exist in Thailand with Muay Thai? I was interested in training there in the near future- but it gets you thinking!!! How do you know you're not being taken for a ride? Maybe you will eventually, but at a cost; both in time and money. So easy to rip off a foreigner who has little knowledge of the country...

:confused:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nice thread- thoroughly enjoyed reading through this. I know this might be a little off topic, but do you think a similar situation may exist in Thailand with Muay Thai? I was interested in training there in the near future- but it gets you thinking!!! How do you know you're not being taken for a ride? Maybe you will eventually, but at a cost; both in time and money. So easy to rip off a foreigner who has little knowledge of the country...

:confused:

Sorry but I have no way of knowing.

As much as I like Muay Thai, I have never trained it nor have I been to Thailand. There use to be some guys in the IMA section of MT that where there and training in Thailand, maybe they can give you more info. Also I believe the Florida Sanshou page may be able to give you some info on training in Thailand too, I know some of the people there have trained in Thailand.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No worries...I'll have a look in those sections. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction buddy. :)

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yup the kids all want to play on computers now (hey...wait a minute.... I'M on a computer :) )Beijing is mainly internal style, some great teachers, some good teachers, some not so good teachers. And even the great generally will charge a westerner more. And Beijing, from what little I know about Chengdu, is very different from Chengdu, if for no other reason it is were the Government is... and they are getting the Olympics now too… must be kind to rich foreigners you know ;)

And good luck with the move, hope it all goes well.

Yes, but being on a computer and playing games is different. =P

That's absolutely true. I would also expect to find more Taekwondo, Wushu, and other imported MAs in Beijing than other cities.

We moved last Friday and Guilin is still a beautiful city. I bought a big scooter so that I am in control of my own private transportation and time schedule and secured a good job. ;) *Pats self on back*

Getting back to the thread... I met a Sanda (Non-sport version) instructor that teaches security guards Qindiquan in a supermarket, but he is an egotistical arsebandit like 99% of the others. He showed me his school and did nothing but brag about how good everything and everyone there is. Forget about having an open discussion of MAs with most Chinese teachers... They are always right.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, but being on a computer and playing games is different. =P

That's absolutely true. I would also expect to find more Taekwondo, Wushu, and other imported MAs in Beijing than other cities.

We moved last Friday and Guilin is still a beautiful city. I bought a big scooter so that I am in control of my own private transportation and time schedule and secured a good job. ;) *Pats self on back*

Getting back to the thread... I met a Sanda (Non-sport version) instructor that teaches security guards Qindiquan in a supermarket, but he is an egotistical arsebandit like 99% of the others. He showed me his school and did nothing but brag about how good everything and everyone there is. Forget about having an open discussion of MAs with most Chinese teachers... They are always right.

Glad to hear it is going well.

A scooter huh, you are a much braver man than I if you are going to drive around a city in China. If I ever live in Beijing I am walking and talking buses and taxis, I am not even considering a Bike there. I learned to drive in Boston Massachusetts but those Beijingren are just plain scary crazy drivers. Drive on the right... drive on the left... stop at stop lights.... run stop lights at the intersection of a 6 lane and 4 lane roads...whatever works as long as the PD is not there.

The only real CMA person I had any real discussion with in Beijing was the old Xingyi/Bagua/Buddhist and it was translated. He did not brag at all but he sure as hell was intimidating without even trying. But then I am beginning to understand that is pretty normal for a good Xingyi teacher (particullarly the old ones). However I have talked with a couple that have trained with various sifus in Beijing and they all pretty much say the same thing; Becoming a student and staying a student is much like getting married and staying married.

The next time I go back I plan on finding out; it just depends on what style I decide to train there, but it will be an internal not Sanda. The little I have heard of Sanda in Beijing leads me to agree with your assessment of Sanda teachers on mainland. Which is in major contrast to my Sanda teacher here, he never brags about it nor does he talk to anyone he does not know. But then he may be a generation older than those you are running into and he is from WAAAAY up north China. He is more of the shutup and train variety and bragging would take time from training.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

Off topic, but I remember traffic in Beijing.:shrug: Crossing the road was one of the scariest things I have done. I also found out that at night drivers dont use their horns or lights - because it runs down the battery:erg:. My favorouite city was Nanjing. Now I'll let you guys get back on topic.

Very best wishes

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear it is going well.

A scooter huh, you are a much braver man than I if you are going to drive around a city in China. If I ever live in Beijing I am walking and talking buses and taxis, I am not even considering a Bike there. I learned to drive in Boston Massachusetts but those Beijingren are just plain scary crazy drivers. Drive on the right... drive on the left... stop at stop lights.... run stop lights at the intersection of a 6 lane and 4 lane roads...whatever works as long as the PD is not there.

The only real CMA person I had any real discussion with in Beijing was the old Xingyi/Bagua/Buddhist and it was translated. He did not brag at all but he sure as hell was intimidating without even trying. But then I am beginning to understand that is pretty normal for a good Xingyi teacher (particullarly the old ones). However I have talked with a couple that have trained with various sifus in Beijing and they all pretty much say the same thing; Becoming a student and staying a student is much like getting married and staying married.

The next time I go back I plan on finding out; it just depends on what style I decide to train there, but it will be an internal not Sanda. The little I have heard of Sanda in Beijing leads me to agree with your assessment of Sanda teachers on mainland. Which is in major contrast to my Sanda teacher here, he never brags about it nor does he talk to anyone he does not know. But then he may be a generation older than those you are running into and he is from WAAAAY up north China. He is more of the shutup and train variety and bragging would take time from training.

Haha. In today's world I'll take what adventure I can. I recall clearly the first time I merged INTO traffick. I was on a side street and infront of me was the 8:00 - 9:00 rush hour. "HOLY ****... HERE I GO!" I thought as I pulled back the throttle and dived right in. Now I could never drive in the West again. ;) The best Western driver is the worst Eastern driver and vice versa. 45-50 km/hr on both sides of the road and through treacherous mountain passes is my idea of a good time. And my wife usually sits behind me and we go on countryside picnics. You can't do that in Beijing! Ja, the night drivers are dangerous and you can't hear scooters and bicycles either. Taxis are insane in every country.

I agree with you about the young teachers in China. I have met very few olde ones that could actually apply any MA, so they could be different.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

Off topic, but I remember traffic in Beijing.:shrug: Crossing the road was one of the scariest things I have done. I also found out that at night drivers dont use their horns or lights - because it runs down the battery:erg:. My favorouite city was Nanjing. Now I'll let you guys get back on topic.

Very best wishes

I will have to tell you about the ride I took in one of those home made 3 wheel motor cycle type things one time. All I will say here is I could have touched the grill of the on coming bus he cut off.

Haha. In today's world I'll take what adventure I can. I recall clearly the first time I merged INTO traffick. I was on a side street and infront of me was the 8:00 - 9:00 rush hour. "HOLY ****... HERE I GO!" I thought as I pulled back the throttle and dived right in. Now I could never drive in the West again. ;) The best Western driver is the worst Eastern driver and vice versa. 45-50 km/hr on both sides of the road and through treacherous mountain passes is my idea of a good time. And my wife usually sits behind me and we go on countryside picnics. You can't do that in Beijing! Ja, the night drivers are dangerous and you can't hear scooters and bicycles either. Taxis are insane in every country.

I agree with you about the young teachers in China. I have met very few olde ones that could actually apply any MA, so they could be different.

My very first cab ride in Beijing the guy runs red lights at the intersection of a 6 lane and 4 lane roads at about noon... did not even phase my wife... but I about dove under the seat... but then again she learned to drive there.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will have to tell you about the ride I took in one of those home made 3 wheel motor cycle type things one time. All I will say here is I could have touched the grill of the on coming bus he cut off.

MAJOR OFF TOPIC POST

I love Sanluanche (Three-wheeled vehicles)! They really add character to some places and every area has a different style. In Guangzhou I took one that was a hybrid of a converted tractor and a motorcycle.

Man: Where are you going?
Me: Too far [for THAT]..
Man: *Smiling* 5 kuai (A discount). Let's go.
Me: (What am I doing?...) *Gets on "vehicle thing"*

That thing was badarse and scared the **** out of me. If you know how the streets cross over one another in Guangzhou (Stacked, sometimes perhaps 9 streets high) you can appreciate how intense the ride was. He drove it so bloody fast and I held on with white knuckles. I also recall that I had to hold on to a metal bar behind me, which was originally designed to attach a plow! And I had two bags with me, as well. I almost lost them as he cut off other people and ascended and descended streets at dizzying heights.

Driving in third world countries can actually help your MA senses greatly. I have become much better at gauging distances and the required speed through driving myself. It's dangerous, yes, but also a thrill. I have driven petrol-powered bicycles fifty kilometres an hour in Chongqing (Mountain city) and made mid-"flight" repairs whilst traffick swirled around me and a hill loomed ahead (Brake failure =S) and been in traffick jams where I was the only human.

Me: *honk honk!*
Water buffalo: *Looks back* Mo0O!!!
Me: ****. You're going to make me late for work! *Accelerates and starts plowing through fifty of the beasts*

Needless to say, I think everyone should have a go at it. As an MAist, I feel the need to be in control of most aspects of my life. Never leave your life in others' hands - take the reins of your beast of burden and RIDE!

My new electric scooter cost 2500元 (~$320).

- It rides 45km/hr (With a speed inhibitor that I haven't removed yet ;) ), 40 with two people. There are faster, but this is actually more than fast enough in the city.

- It is quite big and two bigger people can easily ride on it. My wife and I ride on it very comfortably. It has got an underseat compartment and a big boot. We can put extra clothes, raincoats, chargers, locks, and whatever else in the storage compartment under the seat and groceries and anything else that's not too bulky in the boot. I have taken a bloody huge suitcase with me by putting it between the seat and the steering collumn and hanging my legs over. =P

- It can ride 100km on one eight hour charge. A little less with two people.

- It has got thick tyres, shock absorbers, excellent braking system, and a plethora of other features. It can go up hills, weave through traffick easily, and parking spaces abound. It's even got an alarm. Sometimes rude Chinese will sit on your grand vehicle. Not on mine!

The bottom line is that as I'm riding I sometimes see other foreigners taking busses or walking, often in a dazed stupour. And then, finally, we come to see the difference between expats and tourists. Don't be a tourist, drive yourself. ;)

And the night races are fun. =P

My very first cab ride in Beijing the guy runs red lights at the intersection of a 6 lane and 4 lane roads at about noon... did not even phase my wife... but I about dove under the seat... but then again she learned to drive there.

Taxis are like that in every major city in every country and most cities in third world countries, where they can be found. I have a mate that was in a taxi that was hit by another car and ran. The taxi then chased after that car through several red lights and was hit by at least two other cars in the process. My mate and his wife opened the door and jumped out before the taxi finally came to a stop - in a wall. That was in Chongqing, I believe.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, return to the original topic.

-Karen Cohn
-MT Senior Moderator-

Latest Discussions