Want to carry a sword..... move to Texas

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree! I have lived in Texas for over 45 years. I have not seen even one fist fight in the street. last time I went to Vancouver, Canada, I saw 2 fist fights in 3 days. What's wrong with that picture?

Can we have peace now?

Hmmm...
I’ve lived in the San Francisco area for almost 25 years. Some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. I’ve never seen a fight either.

It ain’t about the guns. Either people know how to act in a civil manner, or they do not.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It ain’t about the guns. Either people know how to act in a civil manner, or they do not.

That's very true.

I see it a lot where it's quoted "an armed society is a polite society" and I massively disagree.

What makes a polite society is proper upbringing instilling a sense of civility.

If everyone around you needs to be armed for you to be polite, that's not real politeness.

Just like someone in a shop mindlessly repeating "have a nice day" to every customer, when they don't care a toss whether you have a nice day or not.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's very true.

I see it a lot where it's quoted "an armed society is a polite society" and I massively disagree.

What makes a polite society is proper upbringing instilling a sense of civility.

If everyone around you needs to be armed for you to be polite, that's not real politeness.

Just like someone in a shop mindlessly repeating "have a nice day" to every customer, when they don't care a toss whether you have a nice day or not.
Yeah, I was thinking about these things too.

The notion that the population at large must be armed all the time in order to have some societal manners, is simply stupid.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the U.S. It's interesting that people in high crime areas say that there are too many guns on the street and people in low crime areas say that they are not enough guns on the street.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's very true.

Actually I always found the folks stateside were more polite in general than over here ....maybe that was just where I lived or they were being polite cause I was a Scot (I'm sure that id help as at least at the start they had a hard job understanding me if I didn't lose the accent lol) but i was actually impressed really as even if you don't really mean it it costs nothing to be polite

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is an untrue statement. Anyone that has driven in Texas can attest to this.
It did put a quick end to the "knock out game" several years back though. :)

Well sure it ain't perfect, but if you think it's still that bad, then image what it'd be like if law abiding citizens there weren't allow to carry guns.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not that it much matters to me where this thread goes, but just as a point of clarification.... based on the title of the thread

This is a sword

Anti-Japanese-War-Broadsword-Knife-Katana-Chinese-Eighteenth-Army-Battle-Dao.jpg_640x640.jpg

This is a gun

647244_ts.jpg

This is Texas

map-of-texas-cities.gif

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the U.S. It's interesting that people in high crime areas say that there are too many guns on the street and people in low crime areas say that they are not enough guns on the street.

It's mostly about how the NEWS MEDIA will present it. They ain't airing the interviews where dudes in bad areas are begging for a liberal CCW program.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like what you are saying is that someone being polite is legitimate grounds for shooting him.

Is they what you are saying?
You darn right! I'm not sure why but I'm perty sure thems fightin words!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's mostly about how the NEWS MEDIA will present it. They ain't airing the interviews where dudes in bad areas are begging for a liberal CCW program.
actually I was basing my statement on what I hear from people who live in those types of neighborhoods. I used to live in those areas. There are a lot of people in the bad areas that have guns and are law abiding citizens and the response seems to always be the same.

In those type of neighborhoods, you can carry a weapon all day long and it won't stop the stray bullet that hits you. It also won't stop the bullets that hit you when someone rolls up on you. It also doesn't stop bullets from being ambushed or from being targeted. To me it's not a liberal or conservative issue, the media doesn't have anything to do with it.
When I lived in Baltimore, MD residents would hide in their homes if they hear that there is going to be a shooting in the neighborhood. Everyone gets off the streets. I have yet to see that or experience that in the suburbs.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I lived in Baltimore, MD residents would hide in their homes if they hear that there is going to be a shooting in the neighborhood. Everyone gets off the streets. I have yet to see that or experience that in the suburbs.

Whereas in the "impolite" society where I live, if people hear there's going to be a fight they go to watch.

If a punch misses it's not going to kill you from 90 feet away.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
actually I was basing my statement on what I hear from people who live in those types of neighborhoods. I used to live in those areas. There are a lot of people in the bad areas that have guns and are law abiding citizens and the response seems to always be the same.

In those type of neighborhoods, you can carry a weapon all day long and it won't stop the stray bullet that hits you. It also won't stop the bullets that hit you when someone rolls up on you. It also doesn't stop bullets from being ambushed or from being targeted. To me it's not a liberal or conservative issue, the media doesn't have anything to do with it.

These are good points. It wasn't this bad when I was in North Philly, but def. that bad now. But cops used to stop and frisk liberally, so law abiding citizens would rarely carry guns as that's illegal.

My main argument being, Bmore, Philly, etc. are cities heavily against law abiding citizens carrying guns for protection.....for a very long time now. If it changed tomorrow, citizens would still be dodging bullets for the next few years if not more. CCW's can't reverse the cesspool condition that Bmore is currently in, all by itself, nor immediately. But the least that CCW's can afford, is for such citizens be able to protect themselves and perhaps, regain much of their dignity.

And CCW would certainly help a lot when it comes to you being targeted and ambushed; I know things. And it certainly is about the Media and the Liberal factor. They will not put good citizens from the 'hood on TV saying that they wish they could carry a gun for SD.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They will not put good citizens from the 'hood on TV saying that they wish they could carry a gun for SD.
Some good citizens from "hood" carry weapons, I'm not sure why you assume that they don't. I've never personally heard someone form the hood say "I wish I could carry." I already knew that they were carrying.

There's this assumption that "liberals" and good citizens from the hood don't carry guns. Not sure why you and others would think this, but there are a lot of law abiding citizens who live in these dangerous areas that carry guns.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool...that's it, I'm moving to New Mexico and carrying a Bagua Da Dao :D

maxresdefault.jpg
I’ve got one that I rebuilt the hilt, guard and pommel are solid bronze, blade is thick and heavy. If you want it, let me know and we’ll figure out how to ship it to you.

Seriously.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some good citizens from "hood" carry weapons, I'm not sure why you assume that they don't. I've never personally heard someone form the hood say "I wish I could carry." I already knew that they were carrying.

There's this assumption that "liberals" and good citizens from the hood don't carry guns. Not sure why you and others would think this, but there are a lot of law abiding citizens who live in these dangerous areas that carry guns.

Really? It's been a while since I've been back to the 'hood. Because cops used to stop and frisk in places where that's not even allowed. And they did a lot more than just stop & frisk ;) . It's only recently that they've been under severe scrutiny that they've curbed that down drastically, and look at how worse it is there now.

The law abiding citizen of the 'hood who's taking the bus to the suburbs to work, is not usually carrying a gun illegally during this time of commute to and from work.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The law abiding citizen of the 'hood who's taking the bus to the suburbs to work, is not usually carrying a gun illegally during this time of commute to and from work.

This is a silly statement if you stop and look a it. Of course "law abiding citizens" would not be carrying a gun illegally, as then they wouldn't be "law abiding citizens." What law abiding citizens would do is to apply for and get a permit to carry their firearm legally (pretty easy to do), thus maintaining their status as "law abiding citizens."

Latest Discussions