Want to carry a sword..... move to Texas

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Soon you'll be able to openly carry a sword in Texas - CNN

Starting this fall, adults in Texas can openly carry knives with blades longer than 5.5 inches.

In fact, swords, spears, daggers, sabers, bowie knives and machetes are all perfectly fine to tote around. Pretty much anything you can whip out in a Dungeons and Dragons battle is fair game.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always been amazed at how many U.S. states are tougher on bladed weapons than they are on guns. Makes no sense.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The bigger deal on this law, and I was very happy about it passing and being signed, is that arbitrary things which made a knife illegal in the past (having the shape of a Bowie knife for example) will no longer render a knife illegal. To me, the blade length issue was less of a deal, but I can stipulate that it might have been for others. Between this, and the preemption law that passed about a year and a half ago, Texas has made a couple of major strides in rationality when it comes to knife laws. I honestly don't expect to see people walking around with swords or spears, anymore than I ever see people open carrying an AR15. You will see what you see now, which is a large number of guys open carrying pocket folders and the people around you who are carrying guns or knives in a concealed fashion will remain that way.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am curious to understand why are you happy you'll be surrounded by people openly carrying knives?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am curious to understand why are you happy you'll be surrounded by people openly carrying knives?

It's more about allowing people to take measures to help protect themselves and others from possible harm.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm surrounded with people who have guns, so if they can have their gun for self defense then why can't I have my knife?
I'm not saying they can't, I'm just curious why Charlemagne is happy to be surrounded by people openly carrying knives.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
From all the people around them who are carrying knives?

No, from people wishing to do them harm.

People who have intent to do harm to other aren't concerned with laws pertaining to weapons. The laws only hamper the innocent from protecting themselves.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Because violent criminals who are inclined to attack people often use weapons, and they don't give a damn about regulations about type of knife, length restrictions, etc. Only people who are inclined to follow the law in the first place pay attention to such things. As such, a bunch of good decent people are limited in what they can or cannot carry legally, typically because some stupid politician finds the way the particular knife or gun looks to be more scary than another one.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because violent criminals who are inclined to attack people often use weapons, and they don't give a damn about regulations about type of knife, length restrictions, etc. Only people who are inclined to follow the law in the first place pay attention to such things. As such, a bunch of good decent people are limited in what they can or cannot carry legally, typically because some stupid politician finds the way the particular knife or gun looks to be more scary than another one.
But aren't decent people in Texas allowed guns?

(Just to be clear, this is not an arguement or me trying to say you are right or wrong, I am just very interested in your thoughts, as I live somewhere where people cannot legally be armed, so it's alien to me).

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

(Just to be clear, this is not an arguement or me trying to say you are right or wrong, I am just very interested in your thoughts, as I live somewhere where people cannot legally be armed, so it's alien to me).

Yes they can carry concealed or open providing they follow the correct process to get that permit. That's kind of part of the point actually. The idea that just because a knife is shaped a certain way, such as a bowie knife, makes it dangerous and needs to be banned but carrying a gun is OK is a bit ridiculous. Thankfully some of these antiquated laws are being done away with.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes which is why it is kinda silly to ban a knife but allow a gun.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying they can't, I'm just curious why Charlemagne is happy to be surrounded by people openly carrying knives.

Have you been around many people who carry guns and they all know this about the next guy? Everybody's very polite.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you been around many people who carry guns and they all know this about the next guy? Everybody's very polite.
This is an untrue statement. Anyone that has driven in Texas can attest to this.
It did put a quick end to the "knock out game" several years back though. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! I have lived in Texas for over 45 years. I have not seen even one fist fight in the street. last time I went to Vancouver, Canada, I saw 2 fist fights in 3 days. What's wrong with that picture?

Can we have peace now?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It sounds like what you are saying is that someone being polite is legitimate grounds for shooting him.

Is they what you are saying?

Latest Discussions