Walking away

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then I've decided to walk away from my kenpo club now. The instructor had a problem I was training in other styles and said to me he didn't think I was showing enough dedication to kenpo....which makes no sense since even though I'm training Muay Thai and bjj as well I'm still attending kenpo twice a week as well so I'm not even missing those classes to train other places. Then he basically said If I want to stay at that club I had to dedicate myself exclusively to the kenpo club and stop training anywhere else.

Well as soon as that was said my choice was made and I said so because I'm not going to be blackmailed into staying somewhere and giving up training at places I enjoy being at. I may be one of his black belts but that doesn't make me his property. It's a shame but that's life I'll see if I can find another kenpo school that works with my schedule but if not I'm happy with the amount of training I'm doing.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That, as you say, is a shame. I don't understand this attitude from instructors.
I know my face had been appearing on other clubs Facebook pages so maybe he didnt like it being promoted that one of his black belts trains in different as he might think it makes kenpo look bad or something or maybe he doesn't like the idea that maybe im losing in sparring and rolling to people and making him look bad, whatever the reason it's dumb I'll train wherever I like and do what I like. It's such a stupid ignorant attitude.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He runs two days a week?
Lots of places do, DP. My place varies between 2x and 3x per week, because the student body can't support, individually, coming more than that because of their other life activities.

The MMA place I was teaching judo/fight tactic stuff was open 10 hours a day, 6 days a week by contrast. It just depends on the type of place.

I did the 6x a week thing for about 12 years... then came grad-school... then lady-wife... fam... work... 6x goes down to 4x then 3 then 2. It happens.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to HH that I think he made the right decision. Personally, I would think it is not for him to say what it is that you should be doing. And, now his school is down a black belt, so perhaps he will learn.

Everyone can learn.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lots of places do, DP. My place varies between 2x and 3x per week, because the student body can't support, individually, coming more than that because of their other life activities.

The MMA place I was teaching judo/fight tactic stuff was open 10 hours a day, 6 days a week by contrast. It just depends on the type of place.

I did the 6x a week thing for about 12 years... then came grad-school... then lady-wife... fam... work... 6x goes down to 4x then 3 then 2. It happens.

I have no issue with two days a week in general.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is hilarious.

I am pretty sure nobody who trains 2 days a week gets to make a comment on dedication.
Yeah but it's not the instructors own premesis he rents the hall off a school and it charges 50 an hour and the overall class time each night is 3 hours.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to HH that I think he made the right decision. Personally, I would think it is not for him to say what it is that you should be doing. And, now his school is down a black belt, so perhaps he will learn.

Everyone can learn.
Your post for some reason reminded me of the end speech in rocky 4 lol.

Honestly I think me training other places kept me more motivated for kenpo because if I just did kenpo I'd probably be getting burnt out and thinking about other things I could be doing

Reactions: JP3

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well then I've decided to walk away from my kenpo club now. The instructor had a problem I was training in other styles and said to me he didn't think I was showing enough dedication to kenpo....which makes no sense since even though I'm training Muay Thai and bjj as well I'm still attending kenpo twice a week as well so I'm not even missing those classes to train other places. Then he basically said If I want to stay at that club I had to dedicate myself exclusively to the kenpo club and stop training anywhere else.

Well as soon as that was said my choice was made and I said so because I'm not going to be blackmailed into staying somewhere and giving up training at places I enjoy being at. I may be one of his black belts but that doesn't make me his property. It's a shame but that's life I'll see if I can find another kenpo school that works with my schedule but if not I'm happy with the amount of training I'm doing.
How did he know you were training in other systems?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did he know you were training in other systems?
2 reasons. One it was never a secret I was hiding and happily spoke to people about it and the places post training photos on Facebook and we're in a small area so most martial arts guy know each other

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah but it's not the instructors own premesis he rents the hall off a school and it charges 50 an hour and the overall class time each night is 3 hours.
Wow $50 an hour? that will get you a whole month at my school

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow $50 an hour? that will get you a whole month at my school
Yeah and that's in pounds not dollars as well so I'm not going to talk trash about him only doing 2 classes a week with that money and frankly there's no way he makes up those costs with class payments but he still does it so I respect him for that. I'm not even angry at him. It's disappointing and if that's his choice so be it but I won't trash him as a martial artist or a teacher as he's very good at both it's just an unfortunate attitude

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Seriously does nobody get this?

You need to dedicate yourself solely to kempo.

Both nights.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I think it depends on a number of things. His reasons may or may not be sound, and then how he communicates with you about it.

Sounds like you weren't happy with either of these so you made your choice and there is nothing wrong with that.

But sometimes a teacher has good reason to say, "you are spreading yourself too thin and your training here is suffering for it. Perhaps you would do better to train elsewhere instead, if that is where your heart is. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money by continuing to train here too. You don't have to try and do it all."

That can be a very legitimate message, if it is conveyed in a respectful manner.

Students sometimes demand to have it their way. Well, a teacher also has the right to set conditions and expectations, and the right to NOT teach someone if those conditions are not met.

I'm just saying, it is a two-way street.

Latest Discussions