being a martial artist ever get you a discount

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Has being a martial artist ever gotten you a discount?

It has for me I had an AT&T service guy out to look at my DSL. It’s been giving me problems lately slowing down when calls come in and even stopping. Well the guy was being nice but had stated he really needed to set up a dedicated DSL line. He also said my tech panel was causing trouble in the line.

I was told on the phone by the rep that is would cost around $60 just to diagnose the problems. Well the Service guy needed to look at my computer and when he walked into my office/training room he saw all my Kenpo stuff.

Turns out he is a second Dan in TKD and has a friend that studies Tracy’s Kenpo. We talked for half hour about Kenpo and he said he may check out the school I train at since it’s close to his house. Long story short he installed a dedicated DSL line in my tech panel free, no charge.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is so cool! I've heard some similar stories although it hasn't happened to me personally.

I will say that it has gotten me in to some surprisingly wonderful conversations with folks I didn't expect. I was online with a work contact and saw a stylized icon in his IM software that said "Artes Marciales" - which is Martial Arts in Spanish. The fellow was a red belt in TKD and was pleased to meet a fellow martial artist. We had a great conversation.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
never got a discount, but before i did this full time i definitely made a few sales because of it.

one of the reasons i love the arts is the feeling of brotherhood/sisterhood among practitioners.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hugh M. Woods, before it went under in this area, used to not charge me to cut boards because they were for a kids' class (otherwise it was $0.50/cut), but that's about it.