Wait, MORE new Kukkiwon poomsae?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some kind contributor posted this to the taekwondo wiki this morning:

Bee-Gak Il Jang

Bee-Gak 1 appears to be the same as the old 2007 Bikkak (different romanization, same form). I don't know what Bee-Gak 2 and 3 are yet.

But I'm at a loss as to how that relates to Kukkiwon Competition Poomsae

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
This was announced at the WT Council meeting just before Muju 2017 kicked off - Beekak 1, 2 and 3 for U40 competitors in the final rounds if memory serves me correctly (although I can't find any official reference on the WT site) except saying that Dr Yang, Jin-Bang announced there were changes.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This was announced at the WT Council meeting just before Muju 2017 kicked off - Beekak 1, 2 and 3 for U40 competitors in the final rounds if memory serves me correctly (although I can't find any official reference on the WT site) except saying that Dr Yang, Jin-Bang announced there were changes.

At first blush, it seems like a Kukkiwon vs. WT kind of thing. As in: last year Kukkiwon and ATU announced their 10 new competition poomsae; and now WT is saying, no, these are our 3 new competition poomsae. So like, what happens to last year's 10 new poomsae -- do they only get used by ATU? Do the new 3 now get embraced by Kukkiwon?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the slides in the WTF Council meeting:

19430053_1305444426241115_239917578693460050_n.jpg

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
where did you find that? my googling and bumbling around KKW and WT sites haven't shown anything

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
where did you find that? my googling and bumbling around KKW and WT sites haven't shown anything

As Jim said, Facebook. I tried looking at the Kukkiwon site in English and Korean - didn't find anything. I tried the WT site too, only a generic Dr Yang (Jin-bang) announced changes.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's only been a few days but already I'm seeing speculation on the Internet that WT will delay releasing information about these new forms in order to give Korean athletes who are "in the know" an advantage in future competitions.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As Jim said, Facebook. I tried looking at the Kukkiwon site in English and Korean - didn't find anything. I tried the WT site too, only a generic Dr Yang (Jin-bang) announced changes.

Dr Yang Jin-Bang is the Director General of WT head office, and IIRC the former head of the Technical Development committee. He also put out a really fantastic DVD set on sparring training called "The Science of Taekwondo Fighting" which I would 100% recommend (and is the reason I know who he is).

So if he announced it, than that's pretty legit.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dr Yang Jin-Bang is the Director General of WT head office, and IIRC the former head of the Technical Development committee. He also put out a really fantastic DVD set on sparring training called "The Science of Taekwondo Fighting" which I would 100% recommend (and is the reason I know who he is).

So if he announced it, than that's pretty legit.

Sorry, just to be clear, I know who he is and know the announcement is legit, I just meant that the quote on the WT site was a generic "Dr Yang announced changes", not that he's a generic guy.

I met him a great number of years back and then again a year or two ago and when I gave him my business card, he remembered my name. We then a really nice chat - such a nice guy!

I had spoken with him after first meeting him and almost became the UK distributor for his DVD set (before it became a DVD set, it was just on VHS) but the investment I needed to put in to advertise it wasn't feasible at the time. Likewise though, it was a great set

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, just to be clear, I know who he is and know the announcement is legit, I just meant that the quote on the WT site was a generic "Dr Yang announced changes", not that he's a generic guy.

I met him a great number of years back and then again a year or two ago and when I gave him my business card, he remembered my name. We then a really nice chat - such a nice guy!

I had spoken with him after first meeting him and almost became the UK distributor for his DVD set (before it became a DVD set, it was just on VHS) but the investment I needed to put in to advertise it wasn't feasible at the time. Likewise though, it was a great set

Ah, ok, I thought you meant that the Facebook post was from some generic guy named Dr Yang! :oops:

That's awesome that you've gotten to meet him. My only exposure has been from watching those videos. We totally revamped our sparring training program based on what he taught in them, and as a result our students are both more skilled at sparring and enjoy it more.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, ok, I thought you meant that the Facebook post was from some generic guy named Dr Yang! :oops:

No worries.

That's awesome that you've gotten to meet him. My only exposure has been from watching those videos. We totally revamped our sparring training program based on what he taught in them, and as a result our students are both more skilled at sparring and enjoy it more.

I agree and the guys he had demonstrating it (particularly from Samsung S1 team) were amazing!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They've introduced other competition poomsae in the past that never went anywhere. I'm not going to assume that this new poomsae experience will be a permanent thing.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Garrrr! Kukkiwon, WT....what are you doing to us!

(1) Okay, I asked WT when we're going to see some information on the three new competition poomsae that they're introducing. They said we'd see some information in September.

That makes you wonder if Kukkiwon is even going to go forward with its new competition poomsae, right? RIGHT?

(2) Then last night this shows up on Facebook: New Kukkiwon Poomsae Seminar

So apparently Kukkiwon is going forward with their ten new poomsae.

Garrrr! 13 new poomsae? Couldn't they have collaborated on this?

Latest Discussions