Volcanic Danger or Health and Safety Farce?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I have read too many conspiracy theories over the years as this, along with the mammoth unnecessary Flu scare last year, reflexively make me wonder what "they" are really up to :lol:.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8626505.stm

Why is this volcanic eruption suddenly different to all others that happen around the world? The authorities have even grounded the Air Ambulance helicopters. which I would imagine do not fly high enough to have their engines troubled by airborne particulates?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mark you really need to stop having scotch with your corn flakes.....:)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's bacon and mushroom sarnies on a Saturday morning :D.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a story on CNN Travel website that a jet attempting to fly through an ash cloud in 1982 temporarily lost all four engines.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a story on CNN Travel website that a jet attempting to fly through an ash cloud in 1982 temporarily lost all four engines.
Yeah, from the time the engines shut down to they were able to restart them, the plane dropped from 35,000 to 13,000 feet. Upon landing the engines all had to be replaced due to no longer being serviceable.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I have read too many conspiracy theories over the years as this, along with the mammoth unnecessary Flu scare last year...

How do you know it was unnecessary? A pandemic may have been averted by forthright action. It may not have been. There is no way to know. You can't conclude then that it was unnecessary. Same here. If no flights crash, you may conclude that this was foolish...but as grydth points out, perhaps crashes or near crashes have been averted by this action.

That is the eternal curse of preventive action. If you are doing your job, nothing happens, and people think you are bothering them over nothing. If something happens, you are cursed for not preventing it. Whaddya gonna do?

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too serious, EH :lol:.

There was an implicit joke about paranoia and delusions of conspiracy in what I posted.

Prevention is indeed better than an after-incident-enquiry. After all, I like to think I played my part in making the Y2K meltdown a non-event :).

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With health ministers in the EU investigating corruption in the WHO and uncovering evidence of collusion and payments from big pharma, there is plenty of reason to be skeptical of the so called "swine flu" and it's vaccine. That is turning out to look like an engineered scam to sell a lot of product to the various government across the world by manufacturing hype.

The danger of events like that is that they get the public to mistrust the governing institutions so much that they ignore and/or dismiss real dangers, like the volcanic ash cloud. This eruption has the potential to become another Laki. If the lava from this volcano unlocks the adjacent Katla volcano, which is buried in ice, it could cause this bigger volcano to erupt.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/technology/science/story.html?id=2712694

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately the threat is real. My wife is booked to fly to London, with daughter and baby grandson, Monday night Aus time. Although it's a pain in the ****, I'd rather them be here, safe and sound, rather than risking their lives through 'get-there-itis'. We can always re-book and fly later.
(As a recreational pilot, get-there-itis is a major killer of my associates!)