Video that a student applies skill on his teacher

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Almost all the online video that we have seen, it's always a teacher perform a technique on his student. We don't see any video that a student performs technique on his/her teacher. Why?

Why is this important? This kind of video can prove that a teacher can pass his skill to his student.

What's your opinion on this?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The idea behind most of those videos is to teach. Not prove worth, simply teach. So the teacher, theoretically the one more qualified to teach, is the one demonstrating.

If you follow the edge method, it goes: Explain, demonstrate, guide, enable. What we are seeing is the demonstrate/explain step normally. Ideally at the end will be the enable step, which big picture is seeing the student fight. And there are videos of that, but if the student were to then continue on and teach the technique, he becomes the teacher to a new group.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And that teacher is the student of someone else.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The idea behind most of those videos is to teach.
When you see a video like these, will you call this "teach", or "demo"?

Why is it matter? When these kind of skill can only be done from a teacher to his student, this skill may not be real. Only if this skill can be done from a student to his teacher, this skill can be real.

Can a teacher be able to pass down these kind of skill from one generation to the next generation?

https://i.postimg.cc/KY9X7VRY/Taiji-push-1.gif

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you see a video like tis, will you call this "teach", or "demo"?

Why is it matter? When these kind of skill can only be done from a teacher to his student, this skill may not be real. Only if this skill can be done from a student to his teacher, this skill can be real.

It may be because I don't understand the language, but to me that teacher isn't teaching. He's just bragging, and (appearingly, again without knowing the language) in an egotistical manner.

Any teacher that's egotistical and wants to brag, isn't going to give his student the opportunity to brag instead.

Which is different from teaching; where ideally if you're posting it online for the purpose of teaching, having the teacher do it is best. But you should (as a teacher) sometimes allow your students to teach it to other new students or via video to prove they've learned it.

I've learned plenty of techniques from students, so I know this happens. I don't watch enough videos to claim it does/doesn't happen on youtube, but it should, at least occasionally.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Almost all the online video that we have seen, it's always a teacher perform a technique on his student. We don't see any video that a student performs technique on his/her teacher. Why?

Why is this important? This kind of video can prove that a teacher can pass his skill to his student.

What's your opinion on this?
For me I would be more interested to see if the student can apply the skills against someone who doesn't train the same system. Teachers get old and out of shape so after a while applying a skill to a teacher becomes a low bar.

We rarely see student perform techniques on other outside of the system. I think that says more than applying the skill set to the teacher.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me I would be more interested to see if the student can apply the skills against someone who doesn't train the same system. Teachers get old and out of shape so after a while applying a skill to a teacher becomes a low bar.

We rarely see student perform techniques on other outside of the system. I think that says more than applying the skill set to the teacher.
I think both are important. First the student should apply the skill against the teacher. Then they should apply it outside of the system. The only issue with the second is that it's tougher to get video documentation of it, since often people will claim in a sparring match that they didn't apply said skill since it wasn't exactly as it was taught.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score

Can a teacher be able to pass down these kind of skill from one generation to the next generation?

https://i.postimg.cc/KY9X7VRY/Taiji-push-1.g

What in the world is this video showing?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What in the world is this video showing?
Many years ago there was a demo like this in San Francisco. The demo person asked volunteer to get up on the stage. I went up the stage. The person who arranged the whole program (praying mantis master Brendan Lai) won't allow me to participate in that demo.

All my life, I want to be on the receiving side to experience it. I never had that opportunity.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It may be because I don't understand the language, but to me that teacher isn't teaching. He's just bragging, and (appearingly, again without knowing the language) in an egotistical manner.

Any teacher that's egotistical and wants to brag, isn't going to give his student the opportunity to brag instead.

Which is different from teaching; where ideally if you're posting it online for the purpose of teaching, having the teacher do it is best. But you should (as a teacher) sometimes allow your students to teach it to other new students or via video to prove they've learned it.

I've learned plenty of techniques from students, so I know this happens. I don't watch enough videos to claim it does/doesn't happen on youtube, but it should, at least occasionally.
Notice most of the demo is with the same short hair guy? The guy must be well trained how to fall and flying across the room in the demo. Still not very good acting though.

You type in " Fake Kung Fu master" in youtube, a few video of this guy will come up and you can enjoy and laugh watching them. Here is what I get:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fake+kung+fu+master

Although not to this extend, I've seen a few kung fu master demo something like this, like you cannot move him, move their hand if he is ready and all that. It's time to ask Xu Ziaodong challenge him and see how that goes. I have a suspicion Xu Ziaodong is going to whoop his butt like he took down all the other fake kung fu master. I hate to say, I am a Chinese from Hong Kong, I am very very skeptical about Chinese Kung Fu after seeing a lot of those in Hong Kong. Funny I heard a tai chi master made a horse stand and told Bruce Lee to try to move him. Bruce Lee punched him and he went flying!!! I am learning cane fight lately, I turn to Filipino Escrima, Irish Stick fight and Japanese Katana techniques.

I got FOOLED to learn Iron Palm, 3 long years of consistent practice, I did NOT get any stronger hitting, I got carpal tunnel on both of my hands from hitting the ball bearing bag. I had to have surgery on the left hand and still not sure whether I want to do it on the right hand as it took a LONG time to get back to normal activity. It's a TOTAL SCAM. I just refuse to learn anything from China anymore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

Marketing/ego, depends on the video. Although, i have seen some where its teacher demosntrates, student does it after on them on video. But i dont think those are put out to advertise or i would consider them good, not average or bad, the average demo reel that one school puts up on youtube 5 years ago, tends to be just for ego or marketing, if they consistently upload, it would be marketing+refrence for students slightly. but many only upload one or two demo reels on yotuube and dont bother after that. some channels dont even advertise a school and do what i just explained.

Edit: Yes, your website and video archive,s and petyy much everything with your name on it effects somones descion to join you or not, or to use your service.

"In traditional Japanese arts, where two person drills are the standard, the teacher/senior is normally uke."

this too, you learn better by doing it with somone who knows it better.
You type in " Fake Kung Fu master" in youtube, a few video of this guy will come up and you can enjoy and laugh watching them. Here is what I get:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fake+kung+fu+master
I get that when im trying to look up how to actually use asian weapons for fighting. Its a sorry state, i have been better served with watching a army video on bayonet training and copying that with a broom. (no joke)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I get that when im trying to look up how to actually use asian weapons for fighting. Its a sorry state, i have been better served with watching a army video on bayonet training and copying that with a broom. (no joke)
Go to youtube and type in Xu Ziaodong, interesting to watch him destroy all the fake stuffs(some not so fake).

Latest Discussions