Vertical vs. Horizontal punching

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
LOL!! See what happens when you post early in the morning!! Sorry about that. I misread what you posted. Yes, punching with the first 2 is what you see everyone doing.
lol.......groggy head does that to a person

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I read the article and agree it is an interesting article.

That being said I would also have to say that 98.9% of all martial artist punch incorrectly. Clearly there are advantages and disadvantages in method of punching. Many years ago, Punching was taught like you point which is the same method I use to this day. Keeping the elbow down helps protect the body from punches. SO I will stick to that style of punching. There are other advantages to what is being called vertical puncing. There simply is not enough room or enough time now to explain how martial artist have been taught and teach punching incorrectly. Once again a sad example of how the martial arts have been watered down through misunderstanding.
Teach someone that the sky is purple and what do you think they will teach? And to correct ppl after they have been taught and or learned incorrectly challanges their belief system and of course very few want to change what thier Grand Master Poooo Pa has taught them, even if it can be shown to be wrong.
SIMPLY AMAZING

Thanks

San

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that every person has to figure out which punch works better for their specific anatomy. Personally, techniques that allow me greater penetration are my preference. I have switched away from doing kicks with the instep or top of my foot and I use heel kicks or front thrust/ball kicks unless I'm way out of position or if I kick to a soft area (groin/neck if he's bent over). For punching techniques because of the way my hands are made, if I use a full rotation horizontal punch I will actually make contact with the flat part of my fingers rather than the knuckles. If I use a vertical or 1/2 turn punch I penetrate with the knuckles. I try to always go for more penetration.

F

first123class

I just wish that someone would have a sure answer, so that I would not have to think about it.

I have a number of instructors. They teach on different days. One day, one man demands that we punch vertically, the other day another instructors wants us to punch horizontally. I don't particullary think it's good for our training.

However, I thought the point of punching vertically is to use the whole fist.

But if you wear gloves than you don't need to punch with two top knuckles. And I thought the point of horizontal punching was to hit with two top knockles. So in my oppinion if you wear gloves you might as well hit with a vertical punch. I mean Karate gloves of coarse, not boxing gloves.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
first123class said:
I just wish that someone would have a sure answer, so that I would not have to think about it.

I have a number of instructors. They teach on different days. One day, one man demands that we punch vertically, the other day another instructors wants us to punch horizontally. I don't particullary think it's good for our training.

However, I thought the point of punching vertically is to use the whole fist.

But if you wear gloves than you don't need to punch with two top knuckles. And I thought the point of horizontal punching was to hit with two top knockles. So in my oppinion if you wear gloves you might as well hit with a vertical punch. I mean Karate gloves of coarse, not boxing gloves.

Keep in mind that this article is based on one persons thoughts. Everybody is different so we all need to ultimately find what works best for us in the given situation. As for training both punches, why not? I still throw both during training sessions. There have been articles on here with people saying that throwing a Thai style kick is going to cause hip problems down the road. That is one persons opinion. I know people who have been training that style kick for many years and they have not had any problems.

Mike

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to go with those who say they work with both, I would hate to think that I might find myself in a position where I would need a vertical punch, having only ever trained a horizontal punch, and vice-versa.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To first123class:

Here are a few of the threads that I was referring to

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23344

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22613

There might have been a few more, but I can't find them.

To Simon:

I agree! During the span of our training, we are going to be taught many different kicks and punches. Will we ever need all of them? Probably not, but like you said, I'd rather know them, have them in my bag of tricks in the event I need to use it, than to not train it.

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

At my school, we use three angles. Horizontal for "long range" punches, vertical (tate) for "medium range" punches, and inverted (ura) for "short range" punches, yet the motion for punching is still the same, regardless of which punch is used.

M

Martialscientist

Interesting approach Grenadier.

But what if you expected an impact at certain range, and the opponent moved. Would your wrist be safe?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martialscientist said:
Interesting approach Grenadier.

But what if you expected an impact at certain range, and the opponent moved. Would your wrist be safe?
Yes. The wrist stays straight at all times.

Also, there's enough of a margin of error in the ranges, that what is "acceptable" at a given range can certainly overlap.

Latest Discussions