value of combos

N

NotQuiteDead

IMO there's nothing wrong with practicing simple prearranged combos as long as they don't get too long and rely on your opponent reacting a certain way.
Examples:
1. Jab-Cross-Left Hook-Cross

2. Jab-Cross-Knee where the opponent's head will be when he ducks under your cross-Hook

The first example can be used frequently with a high rate of success. The second example is veering off into the realm of kata land and won't be very useful because it relies on your opponent reacting a certain way.

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
I heard there are two ways of attack. 1) Single Direct Attack. 2) Attack by combanation. Personaly I would go with Attack by combanation because my sensei has told me that a person can block a single direct attack, but it's much harder to block three or four attacks. My sensei has also told me that "if you don't know what to do, jab". The jab sets up other attacks like maybe cross, hook uppercut as said earlier.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree about the jab.

I think JKD usually distinguihes five types of attacks like SDA, ABC, etc. For example, there's also Single Indirect Attack.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
YES! I believe that combinations and training in them are VERY important to a martial arts student.
It'd be like taking the subject of skill in 'speaking'.
One can simply practice and practice in getting up infront of many different people and just "Go at it"..
or they can study English, grammar, speach classes, debate....etc. and really learn the craft.....ALL THE WHILE still doing what the other man was doing, getting up infront of MANY different kinds of people and working at delivering a good speach.
The second man, I think, would surely have a greater chance at being an Excellent speaker. The first man would tend to be more hit and miss.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions