Use your words: The art of Verbalisation

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good article. While I did not always hold it as true, the mouth, your words, is a fighter's greatest weapon. I'd say about 99% of the potential fights I've been in since I learned to use my words have ended peacfully. Also, often under-appriciated, I have used words in fights, to disarm, create openings, feint, take an opponant to the ground, or render them completely useless. Without having to use physical force. Its really hard to fight someone, when you are rolling on the ground laughing. If you can really make someone laugh, that fight is over. Also, if I was in that situation, as discribed, I would admit fault, appologize and offer to let them punch me as many times as they needed to. Sometimes, when someone is angry, they just need to blow off some steam, then they are fine. Obviously, don't let someone really hurt you. Having been beat up by people who knew what they were doing, I am willing take a couple of hits if it begins the process of resolution. Disclaimer, like in any fight, know your apponant, know what to use when. Even when we are talking about talking, different situations require different words.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have my own tactic, I just out-weird the guy talking to me, and they just walk away. Unfortunately, this works on everybody. :meh:

Reactions: HW1

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is mostly a flow chart of pre arranged phrases. That you just ramble at people until something works. Once you have that thread that working you just keep pushing that until you get a resolution.

The only real trick is being convincing rather than smarmy.and knowing the threads that work in your favour.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Verbal de-escalation is as important as fighting, IMO. I think it's easier if you're comfortable with your fighting skill. I think that can make you sound sincere in an easier way.
It's also about respect - or rather, not giving the other person any feel that there is disrespect in your words or tone. It's about giving someone an out, so they can save face in front of others.

And if you look at it in a tactical sense, the more sincere you appear in tone and words to try and avoid confrontation or not be disrespectful - the easier it is for you to never let him see what might be coming.

There's some books on the subject, Verbal Judo was the first that I remember. A friend of mine wrote one as well, Tongue Fu. I can't remember what was in either of them now, though.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have my own tactic, I just out-weird the guy talking to me, and they just walk away. Unfortunately, this works on everybody. :meh:
This. And if it doesn't work, act bat-**** crazy. "You'll probably beat me to death but I guarantee you before that happens, I will taste your flesh." (with a thousand yard stare).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This. And if it doesn't work, act bat-**** crazy. "You'll probably beat me to death but I guarantee you before that happens, I will taste your flesh." (with a thousand yard stare).
Yeah, or just say, with a gleam in your eye, "After I defeat you, can we be friends? My Doctor says I should make a friend..." :bored: