Reaction score
MA is much more than just

- throw a punch,
- pull punch back, and
- throw another punch.

Even when your arm is complete straight, as long as you

- bend your back leg,
- press on the ground,
- let the counter force to go through your back leg, your back, your shoulder, your arm, and reach to your hand, you can still generate power. Your arm is just part of your body that play no part of the power generation. Your power is generated by your back leg.

Here are examples of body hit body. Your whole body can be considered as a weapon. What's your opinion on this principle?

Lin-shoulder-strike.gif

my-shoulder-strike.gif

body-strike.gif

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it goes from a strike to a shove. To clarify, I'm defining them as:
  • Strike - technique that hits with intent to deal damage
  • Shove - technique that hits with intent to create distance
When I do a front snap kick, I do it with a quick motion, designed to pierce into the opponent and cause damage to their body. I do this kick with a quick chamber and a quick snapping motion. With the front push kick (also known as the teep in other arts), I am trying to get my opponent away from me. I'll do a steeper chamber - like I'm coiling a spring - and then I'll plant my whole foot on the target and shove.

I think the same thing is happening here. The punch has two advantages over it that the body check doesn't.
  1. Smaller striking surface, in that you're concentrating the strike on 2 knuckles instead of across your forearm.
  2. Faster moving object to carry more kinetic energy. KE = 1/2 * M * V^2. Velocity is squared, while mass is linear. Higher velocity is important for imparting that energy on the target.
I think it's a useful technique. I just don't think it fills the same role as a punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is the basic principle behind a double leg.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just don't think it fills the same role as a punch.
Agree! Can you use your body strike to

- kill your opponent? I don't think that's possible.
- knock your opponent to be off balance? You can if you can control his leg/legs.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO any strike at all where you can get the body behind and working "into" the strike generates more power and is thus more effective.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO any strike at all where you can get the body behind and working "into" the strike generates more power and is thus more effective.
The back leg can generate a lot of power.

- press down to the ground.
- borrow the counter force from the ground.
- step in that back leg.

body-squeeze.gif

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course striking with the body, usually leading with the shoulder, is good. It doesn't have the velocity of a punch, but when in a confined position or the arms tied up, a punch won't be effective. All of the videos above show good body strikes utilizing the legs, hips & shoulder with balance and good energy transfer, like any other effective strike.

As great a swordsman as Miyamoto Musashi was, he was a fan of a strong shoulder strike when the situation was right, describing such a move in his Book of Five Rings. It can also be seen employed in ice hockey. While I have not seen this type of attack taught in TMA, there is no reason or rule to prevent its use. Using good body mechanics as shown in the various clips, above, it's a great move.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
- knock your opponent to be off balance? You can if you can control his leg/legs.

Or if you're bigger than them.

When my Dad is sparring the teenagers, they try and kick him, and he just closes the distance and lets his body push them back. It helps that he's about twice their weight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or if you're bigger than them.

When my Dad is sparring the teenagers, they try and kick him, and he just closes the distance and lets his body push them back. It helps that he's about twice their weight.

If you get below their center of gravity and use your own body properly, you can do this to someone quite a bit bigger than you. You should be teaching this to these kids.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you get below their center of gravity and use your own body properly, you can do this to someone quite a bit bigger than you. You should be teaching this to these kids.

Unfortunately the clinch is one thing that's woefully underdeveloped at my school.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that reason that your own clinch is underdeveloped, or a result of you not running the school?

If the first-that's something you can work on! If the second, and you realize it's an issue, then you should be able to talk to the school owner about that issue.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are probably not clinching if you are getting below someone's center of gravity.

I tend not to with striking and takedowns as I am then trying to grab guy through their primary punchy bits.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that reason that your own clinch is underdeveloped, or a result of you not running the school?

Yes.

I'm not going to get into it more than that. Frankly, I don't have the time for outside training right now, and my Master's curriculum is pretty much set.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Use judo-type principles while engaged in a striking sparring session? Whoulda thunk it. Precisely correct from my point of view, too. Lower center, slide into thtm, cause off-balanced retreat step = space for techniquest to take place from the striking arsenal.

Latest Discussions