USAT trouble again

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better watch out Terry, you might lose your post whore status to Glenn before long. :erg: 500 posts in 24 days. :jaw-dropping: Jeeeeesus. Get a freaking life. :)

Yea like that is evr going to happen, if it so I will congrats and go on my merry way.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Folks,

Over the past few days, the TKD section has generated a very large number of reported posts, some of which were worthy of reporting, others that were not. That being said, lets stop with the personal shots, and back and forth crap! If you dont wish to read another members, post, I suggest you all start using the ignore feature. If you're going to keep this section going, perhaps some worthwhile posts should be made, rather than taking personal shots at other members.

Consider this the one and only warning.

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back to the subject manner, why is it David is simple saying that itis not true when it is on the suspension list? What purpose could he have to let members see him out right lie once again? What do you reallythink will happen after the Olympics with USAT?

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is certainly NOT what happened. What happened was Jay Warwick signed a contract on behalf of USTU with Century, who his friend Herb Perez was working for at the time. Herb urged Jay to have Century sponsor USTU, and Jay did it. Problem was, I don't believe that Jay had permission from the officers to do it. The USTU Secretary General Soon Ho Kim hated Jay because he felt Jay was stealing his powers, powers that rightfully belonged to the Secretary General, not the Executive Director. Secretary General Kim saw that as an opportunity to get rid of Jay and so he convinced the officers to let Jay go.

When Jay Warwick left USTU, his good friend Jim Scherr who was or was going to be USOC Executive Director, got really upset and he made the decision to get rid of all the Koreans in USTU, for what they did to Jay. Soon after Jay Warwick left USTU, USOC started sending letters to USTU saying that it was an "unstable organization".

About a year later, USOC made a determination that USTU was not using the $300K in USOC grant money for athletes (which we were, because that is what paid for trips to International Events), and ordered USTU to repay the $300K or face decertification. The demand for repayment was timed such that USTU had very little operating revenue, in the fall of each year, because membership dues and other funds already came in for the year and there was no tournament revenue. They demanded payment, knowing that we could not repay the money.

In January 2004, USTU agreed to a "remediation" whereby USTU would be "temporarily" run by USOC and the organization rehabilitated. Instead, the USOC gutted USTU, and completely changed the organizational structure from a volunteer run organization to a staff run organization. They did the same thing at USOC, getting rid of all of volunteer leaders at that level and instead made it so a USOC staff person, the Executive Director, rank the show. They then wanted to make all of the USOC NGBs into the same model, and USTU was chosen as their test case.

One of the first things that they did was kill the OTC Resident Athlete program. Next they attempted to get rid of the state associations. These two moves showed that USOC was not interested in remediating USTU but instead wanted to gut the organization and have it so USOC would have almost complete control over it, through their USOC appointed bureaucrat Executive Director.

Problem is that the USOC staff people did not know or understand Taekwondo as well as its complex web of relationships that held the organization together and made it work. Instead, they relied on the advice and guidence of one of the only Taekwondo people that they knew, Herb Perez, who was an USOC AAC member back when Marty Mankaymer was USOC President.

In the process, most of the seniors left the organization and took their students with them. Most just stopped attending all national events, although some of their American born students migrated to the AAU. USAT lost about 80% or more of the USTU membership, and the organization limps along with about 5-8000 members, down from 40-50,000 during the USTU days.

Because there are less members, USAT raised prices to keep revenues up. This caused even more members to leave.

We also lost our referee infrastructure. USTU used to certify about 1000 referees per year. I don't know what the numbers are now, but it probably 10-20% of that.

Seven years later, we are where we are, on the brink of bankruptcy and financial failure.

By the way, I predicted all of this way back in the summer of 2004, and was severely criticized by all the angry pro USAT/anti USTU types who felt happy and vindicated that they brought down the USTU. Most of those pro USAT/anti USTU types have now become anti USAT. There they are, people like Ronda, who now find themselves without a life jacket dumped into the ice cold Nordic Sea, doing their best to aim the Titanic into an iceberg. I sit here and say, why bother? The Titanic will hit the iceberg no matter what you do, just like I said it would back in 2004.

That is what happens when your disregard your seniors and put inexperienced people into positions of power for which they have no business being in. Of course it is going to kill the organization.

This is all very good info and much appreciated. Is owing the IRS just an urban legend then? It seems that if the Seniors would have acted less harshly with Jay possibly the war of politics could have been avoided?

Who made up the USOC and what gave those individuals the ability to gut the USTU and even the USOC, why didn't the Korean Seniors rise up and stop this from happening?

Generally speaking Executive committees only have so much power and resolutions have to be approved by a majority of a minimum Quorum of the board?

I would certainly appreciate you starting a forum on the future of the KKW and if USTC will again have a USKKW relationship I thought their unified goals mission were very worthwhile.

thank you

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is another link to Lady TKD about a letter being sent to David in regards to the Non-profit status.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is all very good info and much appreciated. Is owing the IRS just an urban legend then?

Yes, either urban legend or outright lies. I still hear that USTU was "decertified", when it was not.

It seems that if the Seniors would have acted less harshly with Jay possibly the war of politics could have been avoided?

20/20 hindsight is always clear. When Jay left the organization, I stopped attending USTU National Events. I went to a couple of meetings after that, but it wasn't the same.

Who made up the USOC and what gave those individuals the ability to gut the USTU and even the USOC, why didn't the Korean Seniors rise up and stop this from happening?

The main two USOC players that ran the USTU down was Jim Scherr (USOC Executive Director) and Jeff Benz (USOC General Counsel). Jeff Benz recently made an appearance as a member of that Ad Hoc Committee that changed the bylaws and the election stuff.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is some good news

He Fixed It - So Who was Lying?

Tuesday, 04 January 2011 | by Ronda Sweet
Guess even though it was false information, someone fixed it. As of yesterday the USAT is back in good standing with the Colorado Secretary of State.
Registration No.:20083005377FEIN:68-0587171Organization Name:USA TAEKWONDO, INC.Street Address:1 OLYMPIC PLAZA, SUITE 104C COLORADO SPRINGS CO 80909 USMailing Address:
County:EL PASOTelephone:719-866-4632Registration Status:GOOD AS OF 01/03/2011Initial Registration Date:05/29/2008Web Site:WWW.USA-TAEKWONDO.USSeems they renewed YESTERDAY. Who was lying David? Guess it wasn't me or you wouldn't have had to file this. Interesting, it lists Brian Lawrence as CFO. Thought he bailed for Fencing.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well here is some good news

He Fixed It - So Who was Lying?

Tuesday, 04 January 2011 | by Ronda Sweet
Guess even though it was false information, someone fixed it. As of yesterday the USAT is back in good standing with the Colorado Secretary of State.
Registration No.:20083005377FEIN:68-0587171Organization Name:USA TAEKWONDO, INC.Street Address:1 OLYMPIC PLAZA, SUITE 104C COLORADO SPRINGS CO 80909 USMailing Address:
County:EL PASOTelephone:719-866-4632Registration Status:GOOD AS OF 01/03/2011Initial Registration Date:05/29/2008Web Site:WWW.USA-TAEKWONDO.USSeems they renewed YESTERDAY. Who was lying David? Guess it wasn't me or you wouldn't have had to file this. Interesting, it lists Brian Lawrence as CFO. Thought he bailed for Fencing.

They renewed, but will still have to deal with the Complaint sent to CSOS soliciting donations while under suspended status. As earlier as this morning they are still claiming it was all a LIE!
Ronda and I must have some pretty "super girl power" to be able to Hack into the CSOS web-site and manipulate the records to show they were suspended for 2 years! Then after pulling off such a heist, have tinker bell go in and pay the fines and reinstate them!

Latest Discussions