USA Coach punches Canadian in face after fight at US Open

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, (or anyone else who was there) do you know how old the victim was in this case?

Kael Pinto's facebook page lists that he attends college so my guess is that he is not a minor.

Edit - Actually upon further review, Oakwood Collegiate Institute is actually a high school in Toronto, increasing the likelihood that the victim was a minor.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I understand where you're all coming from. I just don't agree. In all sorts of sports, people get angry and throw punches. Unless the injuries are severe or permanent, the sport handles the punishment internally. Baseball, football, basketball... punches aren't uncommon and people are fined, suspended or sometimes let go. Even in hockey the act has to be so egregious that it causes permanent damage to the victim.

In other words, according to the letter of the law, you guys are right. While I'm certainly not advocating that the coach get off with a slap on the wrist, any thoughts of arresting him seem to me to be an overreaction.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think fighting is like sex...if it's two 16 year olds, so be it. If it is a 50 year old and a 16 year old, the police should get involved.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The victim is a minor, so it's no longer a "things happen in the heat of the moment" debate.

On another note, the ref was not in charge of the ring. Too many cheap shots byboth fighters (but blue got more than his share!)

Actually, we should ask the lawyers in the crowd what charges (if any) should be brought here.

Last edited:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody know what state the "US" athlete and coach are from? I've seen a tantrum-throwing coach who wears red warmups at a number of tournaments, and wonder if it's the same person.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
man, there's a lot of this going around. I was at a tournament in Januray. A local tournament..not even a qualifying event or anything. In one particualr match, this guy was getting owned. However, in desperation he kept grabbing the leg of the other fighter to slow things down. He was warned. He got the 1/2 point and finally the fulld eduction...losing his only point. When that haooened, his coach stood up, grabbed teh chair he was sitting on and threww it across the ring. He narrowly missed a couple of young kids sitting near the ring...but he managed to nail the guy who set up the event (and who ghas a lot of pull in the local tkd communty) right in the head putting a nasty gash over his eye.

What's going on lately? It just seems emotion s are running higher than usual lately at the events I've attended.

Peace,
Erik

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bet you that coach in the red is one of those that believes that respect is earned and not automatically given.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I bet you that coach in the red is one of those that believes that respect is earned and not automatically given.

Nope... just the opposite, guys with that kind of attitude think that everyone should bow down to them and they can do no wrong, thus he thinks that respect is owed to him.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow, it's starting to sound like a junior hockey game!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were center REF....

I would have disqualified them both. Sorry, and I'm sure there would have been protests, but it looked like the ref yelled break, then Red charged and deliberately punched blue in the face (some say breaking his nose), Disco'd red in my oppinion, then blue coach disco'd blue...

I would not declare any winner.

David A. or the Ring T.A. would have to come out and over turned it cause I would not have declared a winner.

Hopefully that will never happen when/if I am center. but the key as center is to take control and not let that crap happen.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The victim in all of this is the Naughty Coach's student and he should have been the winner of that match. !

While I agree with MOST of what you said, Blue by Far was no victim. He clearly kicked Red in the face after Kalyo which caused Red to come back with a vengence. Not saying it was right. But almost every fighter will look to get even after a cheap shot.

Blue was just as guilty of dirty play as Red was. Disco both.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
While I agree with MOST of what you said, Blue by Far was no victim. He clearly kicked Red in the face after Kalyo which caused Red to come back with a vengence. Not saying it was right. But almost every fighter will look to get even after a cheap shot.

Blue was just as guilty of dirty play as Red was. Disco both.

Your right, after looking at it again Blue did get in several cheap shots. But taking it from the point where he punched blue in the face, what should the call have been? Red was never penalized I am guessing from all the commotion. I could not see what the score was either.

Does anyone know yet who that coach was?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When the coach interferes with the match, coach's fighter forfeits. That is in the rules of most matches I've read about or participated in. I'd call punching an opposing fighter 'interference'. It doesn't matter that the coach's fighter was cheap-shotted or that there was an improper ref call. Coach interferes, coach's fighter loses.

I have to admit I'm somewhat amazed by the people who think it's OK for the coach to take matters into his own hands and strike a fighter himself during a match. Wow. I begin to see why sportsmanship, rules, and honorable competition have begun to decline, not to mention the basic lack of respect for the law. If you get cut off on the highway, ram that fool. He deserved it; just because the police didn't see it and give him a ticket is no reason for him to get away with it. Vigilante justice is great - if the cops don't stop the bad guy, you just do it yourself. That's how we have a just, peaceful, and decent society.

Right.

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know who the punk coach in the red jump suit is? I understand he was removed from the building by Austin PD and the Canadian's may press charges.

First yes its a bad thing the coach was a bad boy but here are some good points

1. The quality of the You Tube post was excellent video and audio.
2. Quality of fighting sucked. As usual hands down no wonder the cannot defend the head, bouncing around constant clashing, watching the score looking to finish one point ahead. No wonder people want to watch MMA instead.
3. Poor sportsmanship competitors not listening to referee and attacking after the command for break.
4. Best part of the match the coach being an idiot. Yes the coach should be reprimanded but the competitors are black belts?? they should see all danger from all sides it would have been great if the competitor would have kicked him in the balls or elbowed his face.
Its a contact sport?? or should be gee maybe the coach just wanted to motivate them hit someone please!!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

2. Quality of fighting sucked. As usual hands down no wonder the cannot defend the head, bouncing around constant clashing, watching the score looking to finish one point ahead. No wonder people want to watch MMA instead.
3. Poor sportsmanship competitors not listening to referee and attacking after the command for break.
4. Best part of the match the coach being an idiot. Yes the coach should be reprimanded but the competitors are black belts?? they should see all danger from all sides it would have been great if the competitor would have kicked him in the balls or elbowed his face.
Its a contact sport?? or should be gee maybe the coach just wanted to motivate them hit someone please!!

Are you a troll? No seriously your replies tend to make me think that you are just trying to get a rise out of people.

1) Agreed
2) This is WTF TKD..there are no punches to head allowed. Do you even know what you are looking at? MMA have their share of boring clashing bouts too and while.
3) Yes, that never happens in MMA...they are all great sports and upstanding role models, especially the one on TUF.
4) Yes, black belts see everything, they also are able to leap 20 feet straight up in the air from a standstill position, not to mention their bullet proof.

Overall you I can concur with your one point the rest, well honestly just makes you sound like someone who has a lot to learn about martial arts and TKD.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dunno who coach was but heard from students who were there. He had to pay a fine and is banned from usat events. There will be a wtf ruling as this was a g2 wtf event. Don't know when that will happen. Did not hear about legal issue. I am sure that someone will find out and post info...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope... just the opposite, guys with that kind of attitude think that everyone should bow down to them and they can do no wrong, thus he thinks that respect is owed to him.

Actually I don't believe that he was thinking. I think he was simply reacting. As for him thinking he can do no wrong, that respect is owed to him, that hasn't been my experience. If he had any respect for the referee or the opposing player, he would have remained in his chair and not rushed into the ring. During the match, the referees are automatically given respect, since they run the ring. If the opposing player needed to be disciplined for his behavior during a match, it is the referee's job to do it. Respect is what keeps the coach's butt in the chair, respect for the system of competition, the rules and the officials.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone know who the punk coach in the red jump suit is? I understand he was removed from the building by Austin PD and the Canadian's may press charges.

Just to clarify, you are being sarcastic, are you not?

Daniel

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dunno who coach was but heard from students who were there. He had to pay a fine and is banned from usat events. There will be a wtf ruling as this was a g2 wtf event. Don't know when that will happen. Did not hear about legal issue. I am sure that someone will find out and post info...
Well then he should be on the suspension list, should be easy enough to find!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

Your 4th point is ridiculous. The fighters in mma are black belts but Im sure someone could sneak up behind them in the middle of a bout and king hit them. They are concentrating on fighting in a major tournament, they shouldnt have to 'keep an eye out' for some loser running up behind the fight to blindside them.