US won't accept Falklander's rights to self determination

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have just 1 question.

When Argentina attacks again, how will Britain provide air support for the defenders given their reported lack of an air craft carrier?

I do not know anything about a lack of an aircraft carrier with the Royal forces. I do know that UK media has reported that there was a military base built on the Fauklands after the war in the 1980s, stating the lack of a base on the islands resulted a delay of about a week in the British response. However, the Faulkanders state that now that there is a base, they will be ready for an attack. This is a quote that has made the Argentine media as well. (I read Latin American news on a regular basis to keep up my Spanish).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Invincible was decommissioned in 2005 and put in reserve in a low state of readiness.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] She was sold to a Turkish scrapyard in February 2011,[SUP][6][/SUP] and left Portsmouth under tow on 24 March 2011.[SUP][7][/SUP] Pursuant to the Strategic Defence and Security Review, 2010, Ark Royal followed, decommissioning on 13 March 2011. This leaves Illustrious as the sole remaining operational ship, serving as a helicopter carrier since 2011.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] After Invincible was decommissioned in 2005, and with the retiring of Illustrious expected in 2014, Royal Navy aircraft carrier usage will cease. It will only restart with the commissioning of one ship of the under-construction Queen Elizabeth-class.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_class_aircraft_carrier

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cap'n, for once those in charge have actually thought about this a bit and there is in fact an RAF base on the Falklands now. It is called Mount Pleasant Airfield and was developed on the old civilian airport that was there previously which was used for operations during the war.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Falklands' referendum fools nobody - it amounts to a rigged ballot

Let me take a wild guess at the result of the Falklands referendum - yes, 100% of the British citizens taking part in this farcical exercise would like the islands to remain a British overseas territory.

Maybe some maverick among the 1,672 eligible voters will say no or spoil their ballot paper. But I somehow doubt it.

A Reuters report states that a high turnout is expected and an overwhelming "yes" vote is likely. Likely? It's a given. No wonder Ladbrokes called the result "the biggest certainty in political betting history".

I agree with the tenor of an opinion piece in today's Independent headlined "Falklands referendum: why ask British people if they want to be British?"

Falklands referendum: Voters choose to remain UK territory

Of 1,517 votes cast in the two-day referendum, 1,513 were in favour of keeping the current status, while just three votes were against.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not just share the bloody Islands? I mean, who could resist tripping the light fantastic in Buonos Aires; beautiful women, cheap wine and great steak?
Just sayin'!

Latest Discussions