US won't accept Falklander's rights to self determination

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They aren't...yet but how will they vote in the UN when the Islanders wish for independence is put to the vote?

Sadly, since most Americans do not know much or care much about the UN..... it is likely they have no idea what-so-ever..as to how Susan Rice will vote...I am guessing she will vote however Washington tells her to vote..... and for the record... she was not elected by the "Americans"

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ever hear of or understand the electoral college?

And add to that in the last presidential election only 58% of we the American's voted... and not all of those voted for the same guy

We have an alleged multi-party system...any one can be president.... well that is if you can live up to the rules the Republican and Democrats came up with after Perot… he scared the hell out of them…he may be a bit crazy…but he scared them real good.... so they changed the rules to make it incredibly hard for another party to get close to the white house.

As for all other political offices, it is easier to get into office for another party but the majority are still republicans and democrats. After that the whole thing gets rather complicated and somewhat unbelievable for people who live here and next to impossible for those who don’t to believe. I work to close to these guys, I’d love to change that, but I can’t just yet….but suffice to say the reality is…it is not likely what you have been taught in another country since the reality is that it is not what we who live here have been taught either. There is a post I did a while back about telling people what they voted for…. You may want to find it and read it…or you may not care at all….

And that when it comes down to voting you end up voting for the lesser of two evils...or at least you hope you are.

Additionally there is a joke, which is rather true: How do you know when a politician is lying? He's talking.

Beyond that all you need to know is what Plato said....Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber

And now you just starting to understand the American political system

You want to blame all American's for this...go for it...you're wrong.... but you appear to be ok with that so...have at us... one more person blaming us for all the problems in the world won't make much difference...lord knows no one is ever responsible for their own actions or history as long as the USA is around to blame

Good grief. I had one post saying that it wasn't Americans it was their politicians who were to blame. I said well you vote in the politicians...which is true..... and I get this?

All we are asking is that America doesn't side with Argentina over the Falkland Islands wishes. It will matter when it comes up in the UN and there is a vote on their indpendence. Is that much to ask?

We aren't blaming Americans we are asking that they don't turn their backs on a very little country that wants what America has...freedom. Not much to ask is it? You could all lobby whoever you lobby, you could put in on the social media, you could write a letter to the President ( I know he won't see it but if you write enough he'll find out), it might just work, won't know till you try. Just for a small country with inoffensive people who just want to carry on with their way of life.
Governments will do U Turns in policy if the people make them

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/governments-32-u-turns-in-two-years-853386

We have forced a few more since, there's another big campaign coming up about the spare bedroom tax, watch that will be overturned too.

This was one of the best against old Maggie. She ended up resigning. Give you any ideas about your leader?
http://libcom.org/history/1989-1990-opposition-poll-tax

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good grief. I had one post saying that it wasn't Americans it was their politicians who were to blame. I said well you vote in the politicians...which is true..... and I get this?

All we are asking is that America doesn't side with Argentina over the Falkland Islands wishes. It will matter when it comes up in the UN and there is a vote on their indpendence. Is that much to ask?

We aren't blaming Americans we are asking that they don't turn their backs on a very little country that wants what America has...freedom. Not much to ask is it? You could all lobby whoever you lobby, you could put in on the social media, you could write a letter to the President ( I know he won't see it but if you write enough he'll find out), it might just work, won't know till you try. Just for a small country with inoffensive people who just want to carry on with their way of life.

We have forced a few more since, there's another big campaign coming up about the spare bedroom tax, watch that will be overturned too.

This was one of the best against old Maggie. She ended up resigning. Give you any ideas about your leader?

And then, as you just said, you also stated that “you the Americans put these politicians in power, they didn't turn up out of the blue and start ruling things.”

So basically you are giving the impression that it is the politicians fault but since “American” put them there…Americans are culpable.

I said our system is likely not what you were taught it was, since it is not what we were taught it was.

We “Americans” do not have as much say in what our government does as you think we do.

Great example, protests are allowed outside of a certain state capital but in order to have a “legal” protest you have to get permission from the city that capital is in…. and then the city informs the capital and all the politicians in it are not there on the day of the protest, so they do not hear anything at all.

Basically, once in office, the average “American” does not matter to the average politician one bit beyond their vote which they lied to get.

Add to that our news is not as concerned with the “news” as you may think so not many here know anything about the Falkland islands and many other simply don’t care and have to many other things on their mind that they feel are by far more important.

Frankly I hope the Falkland Islands get what they want, but then not all placed get what they want as far as independence goes, and the history of the British Empire can show you that as well as the history of many other countries, including the USA (see the history of the American Indians)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why would Americans contact our politicians when 90% of Americans couldn't even tell you where the island is and even less care one way or the other about the island. Its not a big deal to us. It is to you but quite frankly I dont care if its independent or a UK colony or the next Arg. State. The only way we should be involved is if your country goes to war and you ask our help as an ally. I believe we are obligated to assist your country but I also don't think you would really need help to demolish the Arg military.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would Americans contact our politicians when 90% of Americans couldn't even tell you where the island is and even less care one way or the other about the island. Its not a big deal to us. It is to you but quite frankly I dont care if its independent or a UK colony or the next Arg. State. The only way we should be involved is if your country goes to war and you ask our help as an ally. I believe we are obligated to assist your country but I also don't think you would really need help to demolish the Arg military.

You should care because when your troops march into Syria you will want our support, when your troops march into Iran you will want our support, when you have no friends left in the world, we will still be there for you.......

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bit hard not to talk about you considering some of the subjects we cover on here! Nothing I've ever said is as bad as some of things you have said about yourselves. In return I've had some quite shall we say 'interesting' comments about the UK to contend with, one sticks in mind particularly where we were accused of killing premature babies. We've had our gun laws, our health service, our police and our service people ripped to pieces on here. I've been personally attacked so I'm actually quite polite. I'd look to the views of America that are presented by Americans on here, after if a foreigner slags your country off you can shrug it off but when it's citizens do it well, that's serious.

to contend with, one sticks in mind particularly where we were accused of killing premature babies

I make it a point to if at possible to point out individuals of a country rather than the country our it's countrymen. Not always possible though.

With that said, the "majority" of America is either Republican or Democrat, the rest are a smaller percentage of people who either vote independately both ways or are 3rd party.

So as far as the talk about the UK. Going back to the "majority." Half of them talk out of their ***. ;)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should care because when your troops march into Syria you will want our support, when your troops march into Iran you will want our support, when you have no friends left in the world, we will still be there for you.......

That's why I said if you ask we should respond. But to be pissed that the american people will not stand up for the island is silly its not our fight and like I said most people won't even know where the island is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I don't even want our troops in Syria or Iran or anywhere else for that matter. Frankly I'm just fine with fortress USA and let the rest of you figure it out (I would not have used the second-person personal pronoun ‘you’ in this but since you seem rather fond of it so I thought I should too). But sadly that will not happen, too much of a global economy… the only thing I look forward to now is that when China becomes the #1 economic power house and the Euro is the default currency then everyone can complain about China and the EU and leave us out of it.

Maybe then we can focus on the USA and its economy and get back to the strong, fairly self-sufficient economy we once were and let everyone else figure ou what a headache bieng #1 is.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I said if you ask we should respond. But to be pissed that the american people will not stand up for the island is silly its not our fight and like I said most people won't even know where the island is.

Heavens I'm not pissed, I thought we were having a discussion! If I haven't called anyone 'son', sunshine, or my dear boy' and haven't lapsed into French I certainly am not pissed in either sense of the word (we use pissed usually to indicate drunkeness ie as nissed as a pewt) I also thought I was just talking to the posters on here not America! Every time the Falklands issue comes up as posted by an American we get slammed with the colony stuff, doesn't matter how many times we say it's not a colony so I thought I'd post up first on your government's stand on the Falklands because it seems unfair that a country that fought for it's independence would deny another country it's.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
( Originally Posted by K-man "I can't see what this is all about." )

Oil.

It's the only reason anyone is even remotely interested in the Falklands.
i'm sorry, it's my fault. I'm Australian. :)

Before you read my posts it is a prerequisite that you read Tez's post on understanding English. When I write "I can't see what this is all about", you need to look at 'underlying' meaning. <wink, wink, nudge, nudge. .. know what I mean?>

:asian:

Unreal Combat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's still true though. :)

I've been there several times with the army and believe me there is nothing special there at all (apart from penguins, memorials, and landmine signs). The weather is horrible. It's cold most of the year round, constant snow storms and dramatic weather changes, and there's around 30-40,000 unexploded landmines still on the island. Throw in the constantly moving marshland, if you go off track, you risk having your legs shredded to bits if not worse.

Argentina don't want it for anything else other than oil, I believe Americas only interest is the oil reserves too. Us having Mount Pleasant RAF base there certainly doesn't help matters either.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's still true though. :)

I've been there several times with the army and believe me there is nothing special there at all (apart from penguins, memorials, and landmine signs). The weather is horrible. It's cold most of the year round, constant snow storms and dramatic weather changes, and there's around 30-40,000 unexploded landmines still on the island. Throw in the constantly moving marshland, if you go off track, you risk having your legs shredded to bits if not worse.

Argentina don't want it for anything else other than oil, I believe Americas only interest is the oil reserves too. Us having Mount Pleasant RAF base there certainly doesn't help matters either.
You are right about the oil but why is the base there. The Argies can thank themselves for that. Last time they invaded there was nothing to stop them and it took a week or more for the UK to respond. The next time is likely to be much different. :asian:

Unreal Combat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are right about the oil but why is the base there.

Our government would have you believe it's to protect the islanders from invasion. Their real motivation, under the surface, would be to protect the oil reserves. We used to do "exercises" around the island, patrolling in anticipation of an attack. We also used to do alot of proof firing of artillery guns out there aswell. The sort of stuff that's more "show of force" material. The government wouldn't do this for a small handful of islanders in the middle of nowhere if they didn't have some form of investment to protect. Not with the amount of money that goes into defence.

The Argentinians certainly can blame themselves for us militarising the island, but I think there is more to that purpose than a few habitants of the island. The cost outweighs the purpose.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
<wink, wink, nudge, nudge. .. know what I mean?>

:asian:
Wink's as good as a nudge to a blind man. Know what I mean?

As for the rest, I'm with ballen. America has its own problems. This one is your problem... until you choose to ask us for specific aid. If, and when, you ask for aid, we will find out what America's REAL position on the subject is. I suspect we would help you, given our history of mutual aid upon request.

The rest is just a cheap opportunity to crap on America... an easy target, I guess, and one that Tez never fails to hit should the opportunity arise.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I do appreciate the sentiment, truly I do. However, you won't be there for me. Your country's military will be there to support my country's military, and they'll all be there against my wishes because sending troops to Syria or Iran would be just as stupid as sending troops to Iraq was. A horrible waste of money and lives, with the purpose behind it being an increase in wealth and power for certain politicians. (both yours and ours).

There was absolutely no sane reason for our being there.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heavens I'm not pissed, I thought we were having a discussion! If I haven't called anyone 'son', sunshine, or my dear boy' and haven't lapsed into French I certainly am not pissed in either sense of the word (we use pissed usually to indicate drunkeness ie as nissed as a pewt) I also thought I was just talking to the posters on here not America! Every time the Falklands issue comes up as posted by an American we get slammed with the colony stuff, doesn't matter how many times we say it's not a colony so I thought I'd post up first on your government's stand on the Falklands because it seems unfair that a country that fought for it's independence would deny another country it's.
Pissed might have been the wrong word but you do seem to place a lot of blame on the American Govt when we haven't done anything yet. Then to say the American people should be writing our govt officials saying support the Falklands independence when none of us care about them is wishful thinking. And as to colonies of the UK its none of my business who or how many you have I don't care and I wouldn't attack you for it. Its your country your money your military who are we to tell you what to do.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pissed might have been the wrong word but you do seem to place a lot of blame on the American Govt when we haven't done anything yet. Then to say the American people should be writing our govt officials saying support the Falklands independence when none of us care about them is wishful thinking. And as to colonies of the UK its none of my business who or how many you have I don't care and I wouldn't attack you for it. Its your country your money your military who are we to tell you what to do.

It's not a colony, at least please get that right! It's a self determining country all of it's own, it's no more a colony of ours than America is. My point was in case you missed it the first time is that those who post on here and yes it was aimed at the specific posters who keep saying the UK should get rid of it's colonies, that here's somewhere that wants total independence so where are those posters now who were whining at the UK? why aren't those posters saying, this is good, this is what the world needs instead of well look America is planning to help the Argentinians because they've been promised a big slice of the pie if they do. Why when we get attacked because you think we 'own' the Falklands is that ok but we can't defend the Islanders choices? Oh yes I understand this is an American site and you will take offence at anything you think is remotely a criticism, even when it's not, of America but it's fine to post up endless articles about how bad our gun laws are, how we kill babies and how we are so so violent without guns. I guess cheaper fuel is worth for you is worth being the Islanders being dragged off their Islands. No it's not aimed at America or Americans but those posters who think we own the Falklands, yeah you know who you are.

PG Smith, the chances are I will be there wherever there's the military, so yeah it was a bit more than just rhetoric.

Latest Discussions