"US Open" tournament in Huntington Beach, CA

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey all:

This weekend I took a group of students to Prof. Willy Aguilar's "US Open" in Huntington Beach, CA. I'm a TKD guy & have had little exposure to Kenpo folks. I gotta say, it was a really well run tournament & everyone treated everyone with kindness & respect. Prof. Aguilar even brought in Ed Parker jr for the event.

I gained a new respect for Kenpo & its practitioners.

:asian:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a fun tournament. Wish we would have got a chance to meet.
That's what's great about going to So. Cal tournaments, you never know who's going to show up. Got the chance yesterday to visit with some Kajukenbo brothers like Jimmy Willis, Jordan Pallen, and Eric Lee.
Some kenpo cousins like Frank Trejo, Ed Parker Jr., Bryan Hawkins, Bob Mitchell, Willy Aguilar, Art Ruiz, Pat Salantri, and many more showed up, along with Lima Lama great Ted Tabura.
Willy runs a great tournament. Big enough for good competition, but not so big that it's standing room only.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit I had fun also. I hadn't been to one in over three years and the one I was at before left much to be desired. This one was a lot of fun with people from all different styles getting together to have a good time. I had a lot of fun being introduced to people I'd only read about before (thanks Prof. Bishop!).

Anyways, I wish I hadn't put them off for so long, and look forward to more of these.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I'd have known to look for both of you gentlemen. I was the one in the black uniform. Maybe ya saw me?:ultracool Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I didn't see any other TKD folks there. I was undercover as a karate black belt. I work for a community center that houses my TKD program & a karate program. Since I went w/ the karate folks, I wore their uniform.

Next time, we'll need to tell each other where we're gonna be.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I wish I'd have known to look for both of you gentlemen. I was the one in the black uniform. Maybe ya saw me?:ultracool Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I didn't see any other TKD folks there. I was undercover as a karate black belt. I work for a community center that houses my TKD program & a karate program. Since I went w/ the karate folks, I wore their uniform.

Next time, we'll need to tell each other where we're gonna be.

Yea, no shortage of black gi's on this coast. We'll be going to Art Ruiz's tournament at East L.A. City College, Oct. 8th

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Yea, no shortage of black gi's on this coast. We'll be going to Art Ruiz's tournament at East L.A. City College, Oct. 8th

I got the flier for that one. I'm not sure I'll make that one, tho. My job may be changing here soon. The next few weeks will tell.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a picture from the tournament Saturday. Next time I need to bring a better camera and more film!

Here's Me, Prof. John Bishop and Karzenpo SiGung Bradford Namahoe

weston_bishop_namahoe.jpg

Latest Discussions