US Open t-shirt

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wearing the us open t-shirt for the first time and looking at the logo, at first I wondered why a red belt was delivering a hook kick to a black belt.After close examination I found the fighters were not wearing hogus,then I notice the red contestant is wearing a cross wrap dobuk and point sparring gloves.
Who picked out a point sparring logo for the US Open?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same dumbass that runs the US Open, wait what is his name again, it is on the tip of my tongue, thats right Davie Jones:erg:

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wearing the us open t-shirt for the first time and looking at the logo, at first I wondered why a red belt was delivering a hook kick to a black belt.After close examination I found the fighters were not wearing hogus,then I notice the red contestant is wearing a cross wrap dobuk and point sparring gloves.
Who picked out a point sparring logo for the US Open?

I haven't seen it but can you take a picture? This does not surprise me in the least. Too funny. Now I want one to add to my collection of shirts and medals with typos and screw ups!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a 2011 US Open t shirt, but didn't notice anything strange. But then again, I didn't really look at it all that closely either. I get those and they get tossed into a banker's box with the other event t shirts that I have collected over the years. I think I have maybe ten banker's boxes full of unused t shirts dating back to the late 70's/early 80's. I never wear martial arts t shirts of any kind. Why would I want someone to know what I practice? The martial arts is like a treasure that should remain hidden, which is symbolized by a hand covering a fist.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a 2011 US Open t shirt, but didn't notice anything strange. But then again, I didn't really look at it all that closely either. I get those and they get tossed into a banker's box with the other event t shirts that I have collected over the years. I think I have maybe ten banker's boxes full of unused t shirts dating back to the late 70's/early 80's. I never wear martial arts t shirts of any kind. Why would I want someone to know what I practice? The martial arts is like a treasure that should remain hidden, which is symbolized by a hand covering a fist.
Nice collection, but if noone see's it and you have that many boxes it's like hoarding isn't it? I wear my t-shirts to my dojang,we only allow MA t-shirts to be worn at class, I never tell anyone I am in the martial arts in the general public,although many people recognise me in my area,and some people introduce me as such.
I believe the ma's are a treasure but I certainly do not think they should be hidden,on the contrary they should be shared. I have never liked people who bragged about themselves,whether its about martial arts or anything else, so I can see where you are coming from.
I am not so sure that the hand over the fist symbolizes hiding the martial arts as much as it symbolizes the intention of not using the fist till its uncovered. But you are welcome to your interpretation.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen it but can you take a picture? This does not surprise me in the least. Too funny. Now I want one to add to my collection of shirts and medals with typos and screw ups!
I will try once it is out of the laundry :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice collection, but if noone see's it and you have that many boxes it's like hoarding isn't it?

I don't know. I guess if you want to look at it that way you can. I just think of it as another aspect of the martial arts that for me remains hidden like a treasure. Besides, if I wore those shirts, then they would eventually get old and thrown out, and then I wouldn't have it anymore. It's just a personal preference for me, not wearing martial arts identifiers out in public. No bumper stickers or anything else martial arts related on the car either.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the ma's are a treasure but I certainly do not think they should be hidden,on the contrary they should be shared. I have never liked people who bragged about themselves,whether its about martial arts or anything else, so I can see where you are coming from.

The reason why I don't like to wear martial arts tshirts has nothing to do with not sharing. But is that what you think I'm about, not sharing with respect to the martial arts?

I am not so sure that the hand over the fist symbolizes hiding the martial arts as much as it symbolizes the intention of not using the fist till its uncovered. But you are welcome to your interpretation.

That is what I was always taught. Where did you get your interpretation from, the idea of not using the fist until it's uncovered? When would you use a fist when it is covered?

Latest Discussions