An Invitation

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Taekwon-Do,

I would like to invite you to the 2008 Colorado State Championship. This tournament is open to all Ch'ang-Hon patterns practitioners. The tournament will be March 8th, 2008 at Front Range Community College, in Westminster, Colorado. All individual competitors who register by the early registration due date will receive a free tournament T-Shirt.

Due to the large growth last year we, again, spent quite a lot of time working on all the suggestions you gave us to make this year bigger and better. New this year will be a 5th Dan division. And yes all ranks will be allowed to break. Color belts will be breaking 1" pine and Black belts will be breaking 1" pine and cement tiles. That’s something you don’t see at others tournaments.

- Team Patterns
- Breaking - All ranks
- Individual Sparring
- Individual Patterns

GRAND CHAMPIONS AWARDS
Top female, male, junior, and children competitor

We will also be holding a referee seminar and certification exam in February.
If you would like me to send you a packet of the printed materials, send me your contact info.
All the information and forms can be found on our web site.
http://www.yomchi.org
I hope your class will join us for a day of learning and fun.
Sincerely,
Douglas Arnold

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is on my birthday :) Good choice of date sir! My your tournament big a grand success!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those are the Chon\=Ji sets I believe. The ITF forms that General Chow help developed.

As Terry said, "Ch'ang H'on" is the Chon-ji pattern set developed by Gen. Choi - the set commonly used by the ITF.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly my question is in regards to the participation at the event. If the forms competition is focused on thos that do those forms.. how about the sparring competition?

(Seeing as I live not to far from there..)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mostly my question is in regards to the participation at the event. If the forms competition is focused on thos that do those forms.. how about the sparring competition?

(Seeing as I live not to far from there..)

The rules will be the YCTA sparring rules (quoted from the YCTA registration packet, found here - then click on the link labeled "Information", which takes you to the tournament information, in a pdf file, which is why I didn't link it directly):

SPARRING will be one two minute continuous round. The ring will be run using YCTA rules, and the contact will be controlled. Head gear is mandatory for all ranks. Sweeps will be allowed at red and black belt levels. For all rings, one foot completely outside of the out-of-bounds line will be considered out. For a copy of the rules contact Dr. Medaugh at [email protected]

Our rules are very similar - but not identical - to the ITF rules. In general, hand and foot pads, head gear, and mouth guards are mandatory (cups for male competitors); legal target zones are on the front of the torso, from the belt to the base of the neck, and anywhere on the head, no targets anywhere on the neck/throat, back, or below the belt. Point values vary depending on the difficulty of the technique. Dr. Medaugh will be glad to send you a copy of the rules (I don't have one right now in an electronic format, or I'd post it), and we'd be glad to have you!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on what I have going on at that time, I may try to make this event. I will have to amke sure I am familiar with the sparring rules, but I am up for breaking and Tul. This may be what I have been looking for to drive me harder with my training.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of changing schools and am taking December off so I'm not sure what I will be up to in March, but if it can work out I'd like to come

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will not be there but I wish all that go good luck and skill
And the best for the compitition haveing a large turn out

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am planning on bringing some of my fighters, just need to know what you consider light contact. Kacey is suppose to stop by around Christmas maybe she can give us the heads up on this. We control our kicks but we do kick very hard.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am planning on bringing some of my fighters, just need to know what you consider light contact. Kacey is suppose to stop by around Christmas maybe she can give us the heads up on this. We control our kicks but we do kick very hard.

Hey, cool, Terry! We'd love to have you and your students come!

First thing, we don't wear hogu... so light contact might be somewhat different than what you're used to. I'll bring my sparring gear with me (I was planning to anyway) so you can see what we use, and I have a copy of the rule book (I'm a class A referee in our association) but I'll have to look around to see if I have a spare rule book - I might have given them all to my students. If I don't have one, I'll get one from Mr. Arnold and bring it with me.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it fairly standard point-sparring rules? Foot gear, hand pads, helmet? Light contact to body and head?

Not my best stuff but might be fun. Haven't done a tournament in ..two years by that time.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, cool, Terry! We'd love to have you and your students come!

First thing, we don't wear hogu... so light contact might be somewhat different than what you're used to. I'll bring my sparring gear with me (I was planning to anyway) so you can see what we use, and I have a copy of the rule book (I'm a class A referee in our association) but I'll have to look around to see if I have a spare rule book - I might have given them all to my students. If I don't have one, I'll get one from Mr. Arnold and bring it with me.

Kacey we point spar as well with the foam feet and hands, just we still kick hard. We do some of the Karate tournaments and AAU as well, I'm figuring light should be the same as AAU.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it fairly standard point-sparring rules? Foot gear, hand pads, helmet? Light contact to body and head?

Not my best stuff but might be fun. Haven't done a tournament in ..two years by that time.

Kacey we point spar as well with the foam feet and hands, just we still kick hard. We do some of the Karate tournaments and AAU as well, I'm figuring light should be the same as AAU.

It's not point sparring - it's continuous, for 2 minutes. The match is not stopped to award points; they are recorded by the corner referees and compiled by the center when the match is over. Required gear: hand pads, foot pads, head gear, mouthguards, cups for male competitors; optional gear shin and forearm guards (soft only). Headgear must be open-face (no cages or plexiglass shields). Medium contact to the body, light contact to the head.

Legal target zones: the front of the torso (side seam of shirt forward) above the belt to the base of the neck, and anywhere on the head. No legal targets below the belt, to the back, or anywhere on the neck. Generally, we use ITF rules, except that sweeps are legal at red and black belt. More difficult techniques are awarded more points (standing hand technique to any legal target, standing foot to the torso = 1 point; jump hand to the head or jump kick to the body = 2 points [jump must cover competitor's body length]; jump kick to the head = 3 points); the match is continuous unless stopped by the center referee (injury, warning, minus points, etc.). Also (different from the ITF) 2 warnings = 1 +point for the opponent, and there are no limits on the number of warnings a competitor can receive.

Those're the basic rules - but there's a lot more detail about what constitutes a point, a warning (minor foul), a minus point (major foul), a disqualification, etc. in the rule book - way more than I can recreate here. I'd really suggest taking Mr. Arnold (DArnold) up on his offer to send you a rule book if you're thinking of coming; you'll have a much clearer picture of what our rules are if you do - and we'd love to have you join us!

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Master Arnold please send me this book so we can go over the rules.

Kacey Me and my son Zachary will be in Colorado Spring in January 2-8 for the National team trails for the USAT, We are staying at the Olympic training center. Wish us luck

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Master Arnold please send me this book so we can go over the rules.

Kacey Me and my son Zachary will be in Colorado Spring in January 2-8 for the National team trails for the USAT, We are staying at the Olympic training center. Wish us luck

Good luck!

And you should send Mr. Arnold an email - he doesn't check in here often enough to see your post in a timely fashion.

Latest Discussions