upnorthkyosa's reflective training journal

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-19-2007 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout B this morning. Very tired again, but I got up and did it. For some reason that feels like a big accomplishment.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-20-2007 - Practice Entry

I got up and did my normal weight lifting routine this morning. It was hard to get up, but I still did it. Hopefully it starts getting easier. I'm wondering if all of the stress at work is wearing me out mentally.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-20-2007 - Teaching Entry

Class was normal except for the fact that we ran afoul with some of the building managers. One of them came down and interupted class and attempted to renegotiate a deal on the spot. Apparently saying that we needed to pay more money. I'm going to have to figure this out. This location isn't worth more money, so we may be shopping for a new place soon...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-22-2007 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout C this morning. For some reason everything seemed incredibly clear. Like I didn't have to think too hard about what this move or that move was. It just came, like a dam breaking. So much so, that I finished breaking down Chinto this morning. I've been working on that form for months and now I have an application for every move. Now, I need to get some students and a video camera so I can record what I have thus far...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-24-2007 - Practice Entry

No big deal to get up early this morning. I was kind of groggy this morning, but I got over it quickly. I worked Martial Arts Workout A this morning. Everything was great and my back feels great! Hopefully, I can keep it this way.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-25-2007 - Practice Entry

I woke up weird today and my shoulder kinda hurt. I must have slept on it wrong. I'm going try and stretch and do my normal weight lifting workout this morning.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-25-2007 - Teaching Entry

I was thinking about just how different my dojang is from other dojangs. I share space with another martial arts instructor on Thursdays and I am not impressed. In fact, I wonder why people even bring kids to this person at all. He doesn't wear a uniform. He yells at the kids and demeans them. His girlfriend sits behind a table at the front of the class and chats on her cellphone. And he lords his new found authority like any other immature 22 (?) year old would. I hear him screaming at kids every thursday and here I am encouraging the students I have to strive and be better and I can do this POSTIVELY!

One of my students is getting ready to test for red belt. Today I pushed his limits and he met my expectations and walked away form class with a smile on his face. Man, I am really facing a conundrum. I wish the YWCA could see what is happening in both of the programs, because I sincerely feel that it would change a lot of perceptions about the Martial Arts.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-26-2007 - Practice Entry

I waited until I got home and got the kids to bed before I did my normal weight lifting workout. I was up late last night, so getting up at 5 am was not going to happen. I always feel antsy when I don't get to work out in the morning. Like my day starts off on the wrong foot.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-27-2007 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout B this morning. It was hard to get up being that I stayed up a little later then I wanted to, but once I got going, everything went fine. More then fine actually, by the end of the workout, I had a pretty good sweat going and was huffing and puffing pretty hard. I guess I pushed myself harder today then usual. Not a bad thing.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-29-2007 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout C this morning. Great workout. I got through Chinto again, remembering everything I worked out last week. A couple of more repetitions and I'll be able to post some of it in video form.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-30-2007 - Practice Entry

I did my normal weight lifting routine this morning. My goal is to keep up the three times a week pace if I can. It's a fun workout because it gives me time to think.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-1-2007 - Practice Entry

Martial Arts Workout A this morning. Not too excited to get up, but did it anyway. I felt good when I was done with it and the energy I built went right into my school day. Lots of fun.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-2-2007 - Practice Entry

Weights this morning. I got up at 5:30 am which was felt really easy compared to the morning before. Nothing to say much about this workout.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-2-2007 - Teaching Entry

Only had one student show up. Some of my regulars are becoming mighty irregular. I am currently working on expanding in different ways to draw more students. The up side of tonight was that I had a really hard workout with my one student. He is only 11, but his skill is really starting to blossom. He has trouble with some kicks, but other then that, he seems to really be picking up the general TSD mindset.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-3-2007 - Practice Entry

I slept in this morning and hit the weights after the kids went to bed. Must make sure to go to bed early so I can get up tomorrow.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-4-2007 - Practice Entry

Martial Arts Workout B this morning. Kata, weapons, sparing combinations. I need to make it down to my teachers dojang again. That's the only way I'm going to be able to test for 3rd dan. Somehow, I've just got to make the time to do it. Otherwise and train and train and train and I get better and better, but it feels that there is damned little recognition sometimes.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-4-2007 - Teaching Entry

It was a beautiful indian summer day up here in the northland. We had warm temps and sunshine and I just had to schedule an outside class. The first class went great. I had my senior students out doing forms and stick work, but our second class wasn't as good. The light died out quick and soon we found ourselves practicing in the dark. I didn't expect the sun to go so quickly. It's too bad because we were really having fun!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-5-2007 - Practice Entry

I skipped waking up early and worked my normal weight lifting routine after the kids went to bed. I'm getting a lot of bulk from my new regime. Bacially, I'm hitting the weights about three times a week and pushing myself every time. It'll be interesting to see how things are cooking six months from now.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-6-2007 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout C this morning. I didn't really want to because I had a lot of housework to do, but I did it anyways. And I still got my housework done. I just had to work a little harder...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10-8-2007 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout A this morning. OMG, I was so tired. I did not want to get up and I even went to bed early. On the upside, I had a great workout. I got a good sweat going everything seemed to be on target.

Latest Discussions