Reflective Journals...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the concept of reflective journals for some time now. These documents are used in regular education settings and have proven to be especially effective in studio classes...ie dancing, band, choir, etc. In each of these classes, a skill is constantly being cultivated by the teacher and often the feedback the student gets from the teacher is not only qualitative in nature, but also completely subjective.

Reflective journals can help a student gather this information and organize it so that the student and the teacher can better see growth in the art form praticed. For example, a student who is journaling about learning a new kata would end up writing alot of information every time they worked through the particular exercise. However, that information would become increasingly refined as the students understanding of the kata grew. Reflective journals would show that questions regarding the basic movements would gradually transform into much more subtle questions.

At a later date, this information would not only be valuable to the teacher, who is charting the students growth, but to the student, as they possibly move into a position where they need to teach the material.

So how many of you reflectively journal? Does your teacher require this? If so, what does this look like? Would you ever consider having your students reflective journal? Why or why not?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an example of a reflective training journal. I've decided to keep a new one on-line in order to provide my students with example for what I may expect of them and in order to keep me honest with this community. Check it out.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started mine also. Instead of saying everything that I have done though, I write what needs the most work.

Mark

Latest Discussions