Itosu Sensei's Intent - A Curriculum for Children

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a studio owner/operator, I am constantly bombarded with requests to train children. Usually, I show the parents my curriculum and expectations and they go elsewhere. The reasoning behind their decisions usually encompasses one or more of what is listed below...

1. The curriculum is extensive. There is a lot to remember and a lot to practice. Most kids don't have the discipline or the time to do this because they want to be in lots of other things too (little league, soccar, football, hockey, etc...).

2. The curriculum is full of techniques that are obviously dangerous. Joint locks, chokes, real strikes, falls and throws, etc...many parents don't want their children exposed to this type of stuff, for obvious reasons.

3. We spar realistically at all levels of engagement. I require contact when we spar and I require students to buy the proper safety equipment and since we work everything from grappling to stand-up there is quite a list that needs to be purchased. On top of this, our sparring looks hard.

4. No tournaments. I don't train students for competition. I don't have time and I don't have the will to do so. Although we incorporate some sporting aspects into our training, we just don't focus on that.

5. Advancement is slow. I tell students that the minimum time that you can earn your blackbelt, with no previous training, is five years. And this is only possible if you really dedicate yourself to training and spend lots of time practicing. On top of this, we only have four belts and the tests are usually 1 to 2 years apart.

I don't have anything against kids training. In fact, I like it when they do train at my dojang because I think they get a more realistic view of what the martial arts are supposed to be. Also, even though I've experimented with a separate curriculum in the past, I just didn't have time to teach both.

Some recent developments, however, may change this. One of them is that my wife is getting back into training and that she wants to be a martial arts role model for our daughter who is five. Another is that I have other students who have daughters who are a little to young to do what we are currently doing, but are still interested in the martial arts. The bottom line is that if I started this kids class, I could probably five to six girls right off the bat, including my daughter who is really showing interest in training. Time is no longer an excuse for me either as my wife has offered to teach this class.

With that being said, I have been pondering what I may want the kids curriculum to look like. My initial thoughts surrounded doing something along the lines of what most organizations do for their regular curriculum. They basically follow the model that Itosu Sensei created...line drills of basic techniques, sanitized kata, and a limited form of sparring. Personally, I think that one of the reasons that Modern Karate is so attractive to parents and kids is because this is what Itosu's intended to create. As a teacher, I think that he had an intuitive understanding of development so that he could really go about designing something that would be appropriate for children. Kara-te was inentionally watered down and made safe and this is what was passed on to most of us originally.

Taking this into account, here are my rudimentary thoughts on what the kids curriculum could look like. These thoughts are based off the Itosu model and, as of this moment, I'm trying to stick to the developmental appropriateness that he identified over 100 years ago.

I'm thinking about using the "traditional" 10 gup ranking system. Each rank would have one hyung associated with it. Each rank would have a series of techniques (basics) that would help the student perform the moves in the hyung. Also, each rank would have two Ill Soo Shik and Ho Sin Shul techniques associated with it. The Ill Soo Shik would contain stand up material (based off the hyung) that is developmentally appropriate for children and the Ho Sin shul would contain the same, but it would revolve around basic clinch and grappling skills. Lastly, I think I may also require a limited form of sparring, just so they can get the idea and have some fun competing against each other.

I know that this resembles the majority of Modern Karate based systems out there and I want to say that I'm not trying to be disrespectful when I say that this stuff is really just kids stuff. I am drawing off of historical sources though and I am drawing off of my own knowledge of education to make this assessment.

In the end, I think that this could be a successful class for children. Mainly, I think this because I feel that if follows Itosu Sensei's original intent in regards to the creation of Modern Karate.

What do you think?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you think?

UpNKy, I think the curriculum you describe in the first part of your posts is terrific; it's exactly what I would do if I were designing a curriculum for a TKD school of my own. I understand your sense of introducing a somewhat `softer' intro for young children. And it makes sense. But I'd be on guard about letting it `creep' into your adult curriculum; at a certain point, you want to make sure they're on the track you first describe, not on the Itosu track any more.

And since, as the British say, you should begin as you mean to go on, I think it's important to keep some element of the realistic bunkai-jutsu approach present even in the `line-kihon' first phase. Otherwise, there may be too big a discontinuity between the Itosu phase and the `hard', adult version that you teach (and which I think you should be praised to the skies for sticking to, in an era when so much of the original fighting content of karate has been diluted to the point of nonexistence).

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
The school where I train starts kids as early as 4. My personal belief is that nobody should start until he/she knows his right hand from his/her left, as well as more motor control than running around and picking his/her nose. I personally don't like to have to train anybody under the age of 8 or 10 (we have red belts at that age, and maybe even one or two 1st dans, since they started at age 4/5), but if what you're proposing is just a simplified version of more serious training, then go for it, if you think you can do it. You might keep it all in one foreign language or the other, though; mixing Japanese and Korean might get confusing, and lead some people to wonder whether you're a TSD school or karate school.

As to the promotion requirement system you're proposing, sounds just like what the ITF does. If you think your kids 10 and under can learn all those hyung, il soo sik, and ho sin sul in 5 years, then go for it.

Hey, if nothing else, kids that young can learn exercise and controlled motion. Get them moving and don't let them stop until you say they're tired. Teach them stances, techniques, and hyung when they look like they can handle them. You seem like a very competent teacher, so I've no doubt you can do it.

Oh, and I admire your school for its simplicity of training, and the amount of time between promotions.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upnorth I'm with you my curriculum is hard and I expect alot before they even get there yellow a BB means they have sweeted bleed and cried there way with me for 5 years and are willing to put in the time for it.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
UpNKy, I think the curriculum you describe in the first part of your posts is terrific; it's exactly what I would do if I were designing a curriculum for a TKD school of my own. I understand your sense of introducing a somewhat `softer' intro for young children. And it makes sense. But I'd be on guard about letting it `creep' into your adult curriculum; at a certain point, you want to make sure they're on the track you first describe, not on the Itosu track any more.

And since, as the British say, you should begin as you mean to go on, I think it's important to keep some element of the realistic bunkai-jutsu approach present even in the `line-kihon' first phase. Otherwise, there may be too big a discontinuity between the Itosu phase and the `hard', adult version that you teach (and which I think you should be praised to the skies for sticking to, in an era when so much of the original fighting content of karate has been diluted to the point of nonexistence).

This is a valid point and I feel that it needs to be addressed. Exile, when you take a look at the developmental stages that kids pass through and when you consider what their minds can really wrap around, there is no alternative but to take your adult curriculum and change it. I still want to make sure that the children are learning a warrior art, but I also want to make the art possible for them to do.

With that being said, children will not be able to test for a dan rank in this system. Eventually, students who train at my school as children, will have to grow up and move into the adult curriculum...which is not going to change from the principles that I've already developed.

One of the thoughts I had in regards to transitioning from the children's curriculum to the adults is that everyone would start over at white belt (I may put a colored stripe on their white belt that would indicate their rank as a child, but that stripe would disappear as soon as they earned their first rank). I realize that many students (possibly my own daughter) could be very familiar with some techniques and forms, but overall, the entire nature of what they would be learning would change.

Thoughts?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This is a valid point and I feel that it needs to be addressed. Exile, when you take a look at the developmental stages that kids pass through and when you consider what their minds can really wrap around, there is no alternative but to take your adult curriculum and change it.

I agree. Children are not miniature adults. For reasons of both safety and technical capability, they are much better off learning something tailored to their stage of psychophysical development. But of course, some elements of the art-to-come can be foreshadowed in the Itosu-phase that the children learn first. Figuring out just what that foreshadowing will consist of is the big question, eh?

upnorthkyosa said:
I still want to make sure that the children are learning a warrior art, but I also want to make the art possible for them to do.

With that being said, children will not be able to test for a dan rank in this system. Eventually, students who train at my school as children, will have to grow up and move into the adult curriculum...which is not going to change from the principles that I've already developed.

I think that if you can stick to this, you'll have the best of both worlds.

upnorthkyosa said:
One of the thoughts I had in regards to transitioning from the children's curriculum to the adults is that everyone would start over at white belt (I may put a colored stripe on their white belt that would indicate their rank as a child, but that stripe would disappear as soon as they earned their first rank). I realize that many students (possibly my own daughter) could be very familiar with some techniques and forms, but overall, the entire nature of what they would be learning would change.

Thoughts?

I think that's a very good way to do it. The symbolic expression of the stage of transition to `adulthood' (in terms of the technical content of Tangsoodo, anyway!) by starting over at white belt has got to be an effective way of marking that boundary. So it occurred to me that maybe a kind of `rite of passage' marking the transition might be a useful part of the transition process. I'm not sure what would work and what wouldn't. But it might be some kind of `graduation ceremony' sort of thing, maybe associated with some kind of special patch for their dobuks or whatever. The point would be that whatever they've learned before has been learned in a particular context, and that even though that knowledge may be the same now that they've crossed over into the adult phase of the curriculum, the context of application and understanding is different—geared, in fact, to a much harder-edged technical content that they've been assuming to this point. Having a kind of graduation ceremony and maybe some special icons marking the transition might help drive that point home.

Just an idea...

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For the most part I don't teach kids-they are welcome to participate in my adult class if they can show me that they can stay focused throughout a class and have a certain amount of discipline. To demonstrate this they need to be able to stand in horse stance for 15 minutes. This was typically what was required of new students in many of the Chinese Kung Fu systems until the last 100 years. That is what they need to do to start training in the adult class. I have only had 2 kids train with me in 20 years of teaching adult classes. I love kids and have 3 of my own but i think one thing almost all children lack in this day and age is focus and discipline-including my own! It's not fair to the adults in class if the kids need to be entertained or their lack of focus interupts or interferes with the other students in class. I do teach my children basics in personal protection and many of the ideals of Tang Soo Do, but unless they can demonstrate what is needed to be in the adult class they aren't allowed to participate in the classroom setting

Having said that if I was to teach a kids class I would reduce the number of techniques and forms required. I think your idea of having 10 tests or ranks prior to black belt or Dan is a good idea also. I also like your idea of starting them back as adults at white belt with the understanding that they would probably progress quicker to the rank they held as a child-they already have an understanding of many of the techniques. what age do they start training as adults? I would think between 14 and 16 depending on the kid.

I have participated in many kids classes taught by my instructor or other instructors who are students of mine. I think that Karate for kids is one of the best things for almost any child. According to Dr Schwertfeger Sensei his instructor Sumida Sensei frequently had troubled kids sent to him. Maestro Rick Miyahara was considered an "energetic" or maybe ADHD if they knew what that was back in the day. His parents sent him to train in the martial arts to keep him out of trouble and out of all the gang activity in his neighborhood. There are many good things that can come from teaching kids and Knowing you (up north kyosa) and your wife i would expect a very good program and very good things for your students-both adult and kids. Just an FYI teaching your own kids is probably more trying and frustrating than teaching someone elses kids.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just an FYI teaching your own kids is probably more trying and frustrating than teaching someone elses kids.

I'm thinking about this mostly because many of my adult students have kids who are interested in training. I, too, don't think its fair to put the kids with the adults unless they have shown and extraordinary amount of maturity.

Yet, I still think they should have the opportunity...and if things work out, it may just be possible.

Regarding my own kids, I would like the opportunity to train them, but I also don't want to push it. It'd be nice for them to have the option available and then pursue it if they wish. My hope is that Olivia (and Charlie when he's old enough) will be interested via exposure.

As far as behavior is concerned, the class will be tailored for kids, so that can be addressed. The biggest difficulty will be making the separation between mommy/daddy and teacher.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, so here is the basic template that I had figured might work for my children's curriculum. I'm still working on the rest of the levels, but I think that this, at least, represents my philosophy in how I approach teaching TSD.

White Belt with One Stripe

Children&#8217;s Requirements

General Requirements

Sound Moral Character (Respectful, Responsible, Honest, Caring) _____
10-15 minutes of practice outside of class per week _____
A willing learner and good student _____

1. Basics

Jaseh

Chun Be Jaseh _____
Chun Gul Jaseh _____

Mahkee

Basic Blocks 1-2 _____

Soo Gi

Basic Punch _____
Chang Kwon _____

Jok ji

Front Kick _____
Side Kick _____
Inside Outside Kick _____

Tuite

Tapping _____
Koto Gaye Osh _____

Nage

Basic Ukemi &#8211; Front roll, back fall, side fall, front fall _____

Kyusho

Solar Plexus _____

2. Hyung

Gi Cho Hyung Ill Bu _____

3. Ee An Sol Cha Gi

Ill Bon _____

4. Ill Soo Shik &#8211; Applications of the Current Forms

Basic Block and Attack _____
Crosshand Wrist Release and middle punch _____

5. Ho Sin Shul

Defense against a punch _____

6. Deh Ryun

Learn Commands in Sparring _____
Learn Basic Point Sparring Rules _____

7. Newaza

Basic Position &#8211; superior mount, side mount, rear mount, closed guard, half guard _____

8. Breathing Exercises

Basic Belly Breathing _____

9. Culture and Terminology

Basic Commands in Class _____

10. Testing

At least three months has passed since beginning training _____

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact meaning of "newaza," but do I take it that you'd teach them straight-up grappling? That's a bit dangerous, don't you think?

oh, and what's ee an sol cha gi?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Newaza is grappling and yes, kids can do it. In fact, they have a great time with it! We don't focus on submissions at their level (or even any beginning level however). It's more about working to get into this or that position. Just another game...an important game...but a game nonetheless.

Ee An Sol Cha Gi are forms that require a person to use multiple kicks in multiple directions. They teach balance...balance of power and technique and balance of the body.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even if a cirriculum is watered down for the children, the question remains, how are the students treated once they've progressed to more advanced ranks? Are they then given a more rigorous training regimen when they have proven that they can handle it, or are they still being held back?

The way I see it, if they are given the full regimen later on, then using Itosu Sensei's methods did a good job of preparing them so that they would be ready to take on the more difficult training.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay - I finally finished off the requirement sheets and I'll be posting them shortly. My plan is to introduce one class to start sometime this fall just to see how many people are really interested. If it flops, it flops. We'll see.

Meanwhile, let me know what you think of the various stages of training...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
White Belt with Two Stripes

Children’s Requirements

General Requirements

Sound Moral Character (Respectful, Responsible, Honest, Caring) _____
20 minutes of practice outside of class per week _____
A willing learner and good student _____