University results

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I got a c + for an essay which I submitted at university before Christmas. PS I'm not having much joy with this site. Every time I post they dock points from my reputation for no reason other than a clear attitude problem from the boys on high. This really doesn't bother me, I very much doubt they'd every knew a Ninja if they met one, and that's besides the point isn't it? What is to the point is that this site can't hack me, a thirty year old sociology undergraduate with minimal martial arts training other then a handy Ikkyu, and so it seems like I am running head first into another ban, but don't say I didn't make an effort!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John ,if you look at your profile and the reputation bit you should see who is giving you bad rep, they should have their names attached, some do it anonymously but thats just bad manners. any poster can rep you depending on what they think.
I think it's your somewhat eccentric style of posting that has people confused and maybe annoyed. Perhaps if you told us why a Ninja, yourself, is running around in Derbyshire, I'm sure the Peak District isn't quite used to such things so being considered different can't be new to you? What made you take up Ninjaring?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I got a c + for an essay which I submitted at university before Christmas. PS I'm not having much joy with this site. Every time I post they dock points from my reputation for no reason other than a clear attitude problem from the boys on high. This really doesn't bother me, I very much doubt they'd every knew a Ninja if they met one, and that's besides the point isn't it? What is to the point is that this site can't hack me, a thirty year old sociology undergraduate with minimal martial arts training other then a handy Ikkyu, and so it seems like I am running head first into another ban, but don't say I didn't make an effort!

Well I am thoroughly confused.

A C+ isn't all that great, but a passing grade?

As to the rep, well, yes, as Tez said. But the red dots usually come with a 'No' and no name....had a couple of those myself.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
John ,if you look at your profile and the reputation bit you should see who is giving you bad rep, they should have their names attached, some do it anonymously but thats just bad manners. any poster can rep you depending on what they think.
I think it's your somewhat eccentric style of posting that has people confused and maybe annoyed. Perhaps if you told us why a Ninja, yourself, is running around in Derbyshire, I'm sure the Peak District isn't quite used to such things so being considered different can't be new to you? What made you take up Ninjaring?

[h=6]John Robinson
[/h][h=6]I think I won a big battle today because I had to see my DR because I had mentioned the word Ninja in a conversation with my community psychiatric nurse a couple of days ago, and they agreed not to up my meds, or put me back in hospital, only force me to meet my support workers more often. Result?![/h]Like · · Unfollow post · 24 minutes ago

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am thoroughly confused.

A C+ isn't all that great, but a passing grade?

As to the rep, well, yes, as Tez said. But the red dots usually come with a 'No' and no name....had a couple of those myself.

I got a neg rep yesterday, it was signed and I howled with laughter, it was very prissy.

It probably is a pass in sociology!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

John,

This is the 2nd time you've started a thread, and the 2nd time that you've gone off track, and started talking about negative rep. As I said, if you're having rep issues, we'll look into it. If you're going to comtinue to complain and bash the staff and forum, you'll probably end up adding this forum to the ones you've already been banned from.

If you want to talk about the essay, fine, talk about it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, John. One of the negative reps was from me, and I neglected to sign it.

But, if you're getting a lot of negative reputation, that means that either you need to think about why, or congratulate yourself on how great of a job trolling you're doing.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got a neg rep yesterday, it was signed and I howled with laughter, it was very prissy.

It probably is a pass in sociology!

That must have been a forum first! :lfao:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Robinson

I think I won a big battle today because I had to see my DR because I had mentioned the word Ninja in a conversation with my community psychiatric nurse a couple of days ago, and they agreed not to up my meds, or put me back in hospital, only force me to meet my support workers more often. Result?!

Ok John, I think we need to take a few steps back and get onto a productive conversation. It would be a shame to have you banned again, the people here are actually kind and understand a lot more things than perhaps you'd think on a website. We are all martial artists who while we do different styles enjoy discussing different ways of doing techniques, self defence techniques and sometimes other subjects.

What attracted you to sociology? is there anything in particular you are interested in that made you take this subject? If you want to you can tell us why mentioning ninjas upsets your doctor so much, I admit I'm curious... okay I'm nosey!

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Er ok so about the essay... Well I tell you one thing which my lecturer apparently marked me down upon, was my Socrates (Greek) device of asking a question to immediately answer it. So for an example is it ok to prefer tea to coffee in the morning? Not if you like to get out of bed early! (That is only an example note, please don't quote me on that one). Anyway I used this device a couple of times in the essay, with regards to social inequality, or class, or the students, or whatever it was I was harking on about. And he didn't like it, and flagged it up as a mistake in his final appreciation. But this is a device I have used with some great success over the years, the simple ability to ask a prosaic (ordinary) question, and answer it in the course of the thought thread, and quite frankly I'll be damned if I'm going to stop using this literary device now because one 'professional' tells me not to. What I will do, I guess, is check with some of my other teachers for this term, if they mind that i use it, but I'm not going to preempt them by suggesting that one has already told me not to. Rather I will just leave it as an open query, and see what replies I get. Also please note that I have today checked in but two of my academic uni books, and in both of them found examples of the authors using this very device in just the same way as I have been castigated for! Outrageous huh??

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That must have been a forum first! :lfao:

Imagine my surprise! I get a few, mostly from people who can't handle either my sense of humour or my plain speaking lol! they all think I'm upset though or angry, when I'm hardly ever either and just about never on here.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok John, I think we need to take a few steps back and get onto a productive conversation. It would be a shame to have you banned again, the people here are actually kind and understand a lot more things than perhaps you'd think on a website. We are all martial artists who while we do different styles enjoy discussing different ways of doing techniques, self defence techniques and sometimes other subjects.

What attracted you to sociology? is there anything in particular you are interested in that made you take this subject? If you want to you can tell us why mentioning ninjas upsets your doctor so much, I admit I'm curious... okay I'm nosey!

Thanks Tez, also as to why my consultant psychiatrist feels so threatened/upset by mentioning Ninjas? Well hopefully he doesn't actually, as proven by the fact that I was not forced to take an increased dose of medication after this latest stint was brought to his attention. Actually it was my community psychiatric nurse (CPN), who first suggested that I take an increased dose (after I mentioned a couple of Ninjas to him who i had had recent dealings with (one someone I know from years ago whom works in a nearby Chinese takeout shop, and another who only leaves graffiti messages for me, but he is connected to the sas i am sure)), anyway maybe he was just walking through the steps. But Ninjas have in the past been flagged up as trigger points in a sign to a relapse of my mental illness, and consequently they weren't taking any chances. In fact I had not seen that consultant for over two years, and it was nice to see him. Consequently I don't feel at all threatened by his request for a follow up appointment in a month. And the truth be told I'm even hoping to use him as a tool to help me lever and get my wife over from Kenya, which is another question altogether, but there we go!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But Ninjas have in the past been flagged up as trigger points in a sign to a relapse of my mental illness, and consequently they weren't taking any chances.

Here's the problem. John, if you are dealing with mental illness and need medication, that can be a very serious issue and can create some very real difficulties in your life. I suspect this problem may be what is making it difficult for you to have an active presence on a forum site such as MartialTalk. The people here are really great on the whole, but as a community we are not in a position to help you with your mental illness. You need to keep seeing your doctors and follow their instructions and take the meds if they are prescribing them.

But in the end, this may create enough problems that it proves too difficult for you to be here.

I don't think anyone is trying to push you out. It's just that reality may not allow for it. Good luck to you and all the best.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Please return to the topic of the thread, which is about an essay for college. Martial Talk is not in the business of talking about mental illness, domestic disuptes and things of that nature, which should be kept off the forum.

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
But in the end, this may create enough problems that it proves too difficult for you to be here.

Yeah. I realise I have been cutting it pretty close to the mark so far. But what am I supposed to do, pretend that all of that bad chi i have been through didn't happen? Better to throw the bones up in the air and let the tao arrange them as it will I say.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Please return to the topic of the thread, which is about an essay for college. Martial Talk is not in the business of talking about mental illness, domestic disuptes and things of that nature, which should be kept off the forum.

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

sorry Mike, just trying to give some friendly advice, since the OPer brought it up.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Admin Note:

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

Sorry admin you posted that one just before me. Well with regards to the essay I am still waiting for a comment I made on the message that my lecturer has a problem with my practice of asking questions in the prose of the essay body text. Any takers?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
john2054 said:
Sorry admin you posted that one just before me. Well with regards to the essay I am still waiting for a comment I made on the message that my lecturer has a problem with my practice of asking questions in the prose of the essay body text.

Yeah. That's not accpeted university formatting for an essay. I'd suggest you look up the "five paragraph essay," if you're at all concerned about grades

john2054 said:
Any takers?

Uh......huh.

$prozac.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a sociology course with the OU and promptly dumped it, the tutor and the whole thing smacked of anti police, anti male, had women as victims and most of the population as being kept down by the rich...probably sounds familiar to many here. I did one essay that was more pro police than against, it got rubbished lol. I'm doing a law degree now and while it has it's very boring parts it's actually much more interesting and far less mind boggling. Sociology is a very odd subject, studying something more prosaic might suit you better.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

First of all, a C+ isn't a terrible grade for an undergraduate. Most of the colleges and universities that I know of around the civilized world, won't even bother to put anyone on academic probation, unless his GPA falls below a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (sub-C). A C+ at most places will be worth a 2.33 or a 2.50, so you should be quite safe.

Second, If you want a better grade, maybe you should speak with the professor, and ask what you could do to get a better result the next time. It could be something as simple as improper writing styles, poor grammar, or just plain missing the point of the exercise. It's no different than a martial arts class, where sometimes the fix can be as simple as a tweak to one's mechanics.

It is up to *you* to fix the mess, plain and simple. The first step towards getting better is to admit that you have deficiencies, and quit denying that you need to be more responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions