United Martial Artists for Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I considered studying Aikido, but was worried about the bowing I saw on some TV documentaries, which I thought approached religious reverence. I probably should have actually visited some schools and watched, and asked questions. I might have found no reason to worry. Or confirmed my earlier observations from my religious viewpoint.
Bowing, in and of itself, cannot approach religious reverence. That requires intent, not a simple movement of the body. Given the cultural context (it's just a very formal show of respect), it's only worrisome if you ignore the intent behind it. This approach could also lead someone to see an enthusiastic, 2-handed handshake as a display of domination.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bowing, in and of itself, cannot approach religious reverence. That requires intent, not a simple movement of the body. Given the cultural context (it's just a very formal show of respect), it's only worrisome if you ignore the intent behind it. This approach could also lead someone to see an enthusiastic, 2-handed handshake as a display of domination.
I think we just had another agreement...Where are the Mods? :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Agreed on what you said in the first sentence. However, as you said, it was the intent I thought I detected in the bowing to the founder (which I did not specifically state, but thought I implied enough for people to understand). If that didn't come through perhaps I should just have stated it outright.

But that was my concern. Bowing is sometimes used as a religious practice. But not always. When it is a show of respect only, just as a handshake or a salute, I have no problem with it. If I think it approaches a religious practice, I would not wish to participate. It is my concern and no one else need believe as I do.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with this organization? If so, will you share? Thank you.
Karate, Martial Arts, Christian Karate - Christian Martial Arts - For Youth and Families

Yes they are a local Southern California Karate Ministry run by Mr. Bob Mitchell who tested alongside Bob White for BB back in the day.

They have a couple of church studios teaching mostly kids and some adults. They have some local tournament presence, especially in point sparring.

Mr. Mitchell used to have some inner Demons until coming to faith and deciding to use his skills for God than for busting heads.

Some of the best Christian Martial Artists I know of!

Just my .02 cents,

Chris

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes they are a local Southern California Karate Ministry run by Mr. Bob Mitchell who tested alongside Bob White for BB back in the day.

They have a couple of church studios teaching mostly kids and some adults. They have some local tournament presence, especially in point sparring.

Mr. Mitchell used to have some inner Demons until coming to faith and deciding to use his skills for God than for busting heads.

Just my .02 cents,

Chris

Thanks for the post Chris. Good to see you posting. I have missed your inputs.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Just my .02 cents,

Chris
Thanks for the response Chris. I have met Bob Mitchell once years ago, through Bob White, who is a friend of mine. I've known of Mr Mitchells organization for a few years now, but never knew much about it. I was looking for an inside perspective from a member.
Again, thanks for sharing.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
So are you guys saying that you don't think any Christians should learn how to fight?

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So are you guys saying that you don't think any Christians should learn how to fight?

"Re-stomp the groin"
I may have missed something, but I don't think anyone here has said that.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

"Re-stomp the groin"
Nope, I don't think anyone is saying that.

Personally I don't see the desirability of only training martial arts with those who share your religious beliefs, but to each their own. If it makes someone happy to announce their religious affiliation in the name of their dojo and just work out with their fellow believers, then more power to them.

Capoeira for Catholics
Aikido for Atheists
Hung Gar for Humanists
Savate for Sufis
'Rassling for Rosicrucians

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of mixing religion with martial arts. You want to learn to defend yourself, go to the dojang. You want to learn to pray, go to church. I have found over the years that punching beats praying in a self-defense situation every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions