Uninvited

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a TKD or KMA story but it came up in another thread in relation to "Alternate" applications for pattern motions. However the over all context of this thread is whether you have ever been uninvited to an MA gathering and if so why? My story involves George Dilman and was well over 10 years ago. I had an interest in alternate applications for patterns (like some, I have serious doubts about those who claim to have discovered the "real' applications.) That interest spurred me to attend some 3 hour sessions over a couple of years with George Dilman held at a school in Chicago. I enjoyed the first couple (Albeit sometimes my BS detector went off) and since I knew some of the more senior attendees even went to dinner with them afterword. At the third he was extremely loquacious, telling many stories and inviting us to come to his newly acquired camp regaling us with stories as to how it was Mohammed Ali's training camp. I had issues with some of the contents of the stories, but said nothing. Long story short, over the three hours about 3 techniques were taught and the rest was rants and stories. I later wrote him a letter saying how I thought he had lots to offer, I had enjoyed prior seminars, but if this was now the norm and a 3 hour seminar was going to have only 3 techniques with the rest of the time spent telling stories better left for dinner or other conversation, I would need to think really hard about whether my time and money was well spent. I did not expect any reply. Perhaps as a long shot that he would take it under consideration, or perhaps as a longer shot he might offer complimentary attendance at an upcoming seminar. I received a reply where he returned my letter and scrawled across it. "Do me a favor and don't come to any more seminars. " I showed it around for people to read to see if my letter was in any way out of line or disrespectful. No one indicated it was. As for his reply, judge for yourself. So, have you ever been uninvited?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a TKD or KMA story but it came up in another thread in relation to "Alternate" applications for pattern motions. However the over all context of this thread is whether you have ever been uninvited to an MA gathering and if so why? My story involves George Dilman and was well over 10 years ago. I had an interest in alternate applications for patterns (like some, I have serious doubts about those who claim to have discovered the "real' applications.) That interest spurred me to attend some 3 hour sessions over a couple of years with George Dilman held at a school in Chicago. I enjoyed the first couple (Albeit sometimes my BS detector went off) and since I knew some of the more senior attendees even went to dinner with them afterword. At the third he was extremely loquacious, telling many stories and inviting us to come to his newly acquired camp regaling us with stories as to how it was Mohammed Ali's training camp. I had issues with some of the contents of the stories, but said nothing. Long story short, over the three hours about 3 techniques were taught and the rest was rants and stories. I later wrote him a letter saying how I thought he had lots to offer, I had enjoyed prior seminars, but if this was now the norm and a 3 hour seminar was going to have only 3 techniques with the rest of the time spent telling stories better left for dinner or other conversation, I would need to think really hard about whether my time and money was well spent. I did not expect any reply. Perhaps as a long shot that he would take it under consideration, or perhaps as a longer shot he might offer complimentary attendance at an upcoming seminar. I received a reply where he returned my letter and scrawled across it. "Do me a favor and don't come to any more seminars. " I showed it around for people to read to see if my letter was in any way out of line or disrespectful. No one indicated it was. As for his reply, judge for yourself. So, have you ever been uninvited?

He is actually doing you a favor by uninviting you, that guy is a little out there.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really don't like buying a blind item. I want to know something about what I'm getting before I pay for it. As a result, I tend to ask questions about what will be taught before registering. In my experience, I've found that many teachers are excited about their seminars and are happy to talk about their plans.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He is actually doing you a favor uninviting you, that guy is a little out there.

^ I think the same.

Some people cannot standing facing themselves on a mirror. But incapable of admitting their own flaws, they have to blame who brought the mirror to the room. You don't have to feel bad about it, really. He lost the chance of showing the humility and courtesy that is expected from a martial artist, and thus he's the only one who ended up with a loss in his dignity - caused by his own acts.

I've never been uninvited and I wish I don't come across someone that acts the way you told in your story, but I'm sure there's a lot of people like that out there.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think his words were true, "Do me a favor and...." It would be a favor for him if you don't come because then he'd be reminded that not everyone holds onto every word he says. You'd be a reminder that 3 hours on 3 techniques is a terrible waste of other people's time & money. Of course, I'm sure he'd want you to do him another favor & not tell anyone that he sent your letter back to you with that written on it, too. But that's what any guy who charges folks seminar money for 3 techniques over 3 hours would say to someone who calls him on it.

For the record, I don't think you did anything wrong. My point is merely it doesn't surprise me that someone like him would uninvite you to a seminar when pointed out his faults. Even when you were nice about it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just googled him!!!!OMG!!!

Listen to your BS detector!!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!!:rules:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are lucky he didn`t thow a few "radiowave-balls" at you. (If he does just raise your big toes to negate the attack)

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Was asked to teach a bjj class to a group of TKD instructors. Class was going well until some 7th dan started ranting about how a groin grab or eye strike could help him escape the mount. He was persistent so I cleared the floor and told him to try whatever he wanted to escape and I would only use slaps and balancing to stay on top. the moment he tried to grab my groin I slapped him, spun him and applied a rear naked choke. he tapped. then he tried for my eyes, which he couldn't reach, right before he tried to bite my leg. I slapped him, stunned him and applied a choke. he taped. The scene repeated itself until he admitted his ideas were not working and continued with class.
I was not invited back.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Was it Master Ken!!!!! Oops he is an 11th Dan:jediduel:

Was asked to teach a bjj class to a group of TKD instructors. Class was going well until some 7th dan started ranting about how a groin grab or eye strike could help him escape the mount. He was persistent so I cleared the floor and told him to try whatever he wanted to escape and I would only use slaps and balancing to stay on top. the moment he tried to grab my groin I slapped him, spun him and applied a rear naked choke. he tapped. then he tried for my eyes, which he couldn't reach, right before he tried to bite my leg. I slapped him, stunned him and applied a choke. he taped. The scene repeated itself until he admitted his ideas were not working and continued with class.
I was not invited back.

Latest Discussions