Underwater Training

W

white dragon

ok this could be a very stupid question, and obviously no one does this instead of going to the dojo/dojang, but does anyone ever train underwater? Do you think the added effort it takes to move through the water would be benefitial? I remember hearing about people training in rivers and so forth. Any views on this, even if it is just "what the hell were you thinking when you posted that?" :)

OP
B

bscastro

I think training underwater can have many positive effects. I think training in the water in general has good effects. Here are some randome thoughts on water training.
1. The with the whole body underwater (such as swimming or maybe doing punches underwater) increases the body's ability to pump oxygen to the brain. Bobby Fischer, the American World Chess Champion, swam many laps underwater to increase his endurance before his world championship match.
2. There is extreme training such as that shown by Rickson Gracie where he trains in a cold river. The spiritual/toughness training has its own merit but also it made him a more "efficient" and effective breather.
3. Water provides resistance. My girlfriend ran in college cross country and they used to do "runs" in the pool, using their leg motion to keep themselves up. Since they have to keep themselves up, there is no "going easy." Also, we would run together in a outdoor circular pool, then switch direction every couple minutes to increase the resistance as we were "running against the current."

Bryan :)

OP
R

Richard S.

during the summer months i go to our neighborhood pool at night (for privacy) and practice forms while standing in neck deep water. i try to maintain good balance while doing them as fast as i can. its tough, but it seems to help with "smoothness".......respects

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have found it useful to practice in water
for teh extra resistance. And before a test
or demonstrations it was a good way to practice.
If your balance and technique work out is good
then you learn.

I also found it helpful to stretch back out
with higher kicks after an injury. This allows
you to maintain your form, but the water ads
'lift' and makes it easier to practice

Just my two cents

Rich

OP
W

white dragon

Does anyone know if this is a good way to practice jumping kicks? Man, the sun is out and there's no breeze, the idea of going into a ppol right now sounds heavenly!

OP
S

Shinzu

i have never been fully uderwater, but i have trained in pools or beaches. i feel the difference in my abilities afterward.

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

White Dragon
ok this could be a very stupid question, and obviously no one does this instead of going to the dojo/dojang, but does anyone ever train underwater? Do you think the added effort it takes to move through the water would be benefitial? I remember hearing about people training in rivers and so forth. Any views on this, even if it is just "what the hell were you thinking when you posted that?"

First off, this is not a stupid question. I use water workouts as an intergral part of my martial arts. I have arthritis in my left shoulder (as well as not having any pectoral muscle on the left side-long story=gangrene). Working out in the water helps me attain good flexibility in that shoulder. If you work out hard in the water, and then get out and do the same moves, you will find that about 90% of the time, you'll see an improvement in the speed and power of the move. Anyone can benefit from water workouts. It really helps us old dude's with arthritis- or busitis-worn joints keep our flexibility and quickness, I believe. Besides, you don't sweat as much doing a water workout!!;)

OP
H

hand2handCombat

its a very good question..

but your cant kick when your completely underwater, ive tried.

but what u can do is practice upperbody movement when ur completely underwatrer and lower body movement in shallow water,

Latest Discussions