Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about this...

And of course, almost no one knows that on the night he took Trayvon Martin’s life, George Zimmerman willingly consented to take a voice stress analyzer test, a kind of lie detector test used by the Sanford police. He passed it.

In all honesty ... I have not. But then, I've also heard several "experts" conclude that the voice calling for help was NOT George Zimmerman.

It's quite possibly true that Zimmerman passed the voice stress thingamajigger. It's also quite possibly true that the voice calling for help was Trayvon Martin.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all that said, I have changed my mind and now have a bad feeling that Zimmerman will walk (on the criminal charges). While there is a Special Prosecutor, I don't have enough faith that she can be "special" enough to take on SYG. These kinds of (pernicious and wreckless) laws have always required men and women of a certain courage to fight them in the courts. By no means do I agree that Zimmerman's actions were appropriate; quite the contrary. I think that he was every bit as pernicious and wreckless as the law. I just don't see this particular lady going into a Southern court and fighting this kind of law.

By some chance, are you privy to more information about this than the rest of us? I know I am most certainly not. I have not come down on either side, only against a rush to judgment -- either of Zimmerman's innocence or guilt. I don't know exactly what happened. If he is charged, Zimmerman can assert the affirmative defense of justification, citing the Stand Your Ground law. When the wrongful death civil trial commences, he can try to show that his actions were reasonable, and that Martin created the situation that forced Zimmerman to defend himself with lethal force.

Unfortunately, there's been plenty done by the media to cloud the events of that night. It may be impossible to truly determine what happened, much as in the Jon Benet Ramsey case, or the Simpson/Goldman murder.

Regarding Stand Your Ground laws... They're not reckless or pernicious. They codify a Common Law practice that recognizes that running or escaping is not always possible or safe. They are affirmative defenses, or justifications for doing something that would ordinarily be illegal. The defendant must still show that the victim had the Opportunity, the Means, the Intent, and the Ability to cause serious bodily harm. All it does is widen what constitutes Preclusion.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about this...

And of course, almost no one knows that on the night he took Trayvon Martin’s life, George Zimmerman willingly consented to take a voice stress analyzer test, a kind of lie detector test used by the Sanford police. He passed it.

In all honesty ... I have not. But then, I've also heard several "experts" conclude that the voice calling for help was NOT George Zimmerman.

It's quite possibly true that Zimmerman passed the voice stress thingamajigger. It's also quite possibly true that the voice calling for help was Trayvon Martin.

Taken at it's best light -- the Computerized Voice Stress Analysis result simply means that Zimmerman believed what he said in the interview.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a smart move by the prosecutor. Otherwise, attempting to bring this forth to a grand jury would have been sketchy at best, given the lack of evidence, and that what evidence exists, supports Zimmerman's story moreso than the pro-Martin crowd's.

This gives time for the prosecutor to finish the investigation, instead of coming forth with haste.

Charging Zimmerman is one thing. However, unless some truly damning evidence comes to light, I strongly doubt that they'll be able to prove things beyond any kind of reasonable doubt.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a smart move by the prosecutor. Otherwise, attempting to bring this forth to a grand jury would have been sketchy at best, given the lack of evidence, and that what evidence exists, supports Zimmerman's story moreso than the pro-Martin crowd's.

This gives time for the prosecutor to finish the investigation, instead of coming forth with haste.

Charging Zimmerman is one thing. However, unless some truly damning evidence comes to light, I strongly doubt that they'll be able to prove things beyond any kind of reasonable doubt.

Agreed.

I still think he was wrong to pursue and confront Martin and question his motives to start with, but I don't think anything will stick to this guy.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am surprised, and that my skepticism of the Special Prosecutor--at least until this point--was unwarranted.

While I agree with the previous post about scant evidence, I'm wondering if that's not a problem. Again, prisons and jails are loaded with people convicted on scant and/or circumstantial evidence.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They say what he will be charged with yet? I looked i didnt see what charges will be filed

I haven't seen it mentioned yet and don't really anticipate any announcement of what they will be until it's done and he is arrested. I hope he doesn't do something stupid in the meantime.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Supposedly the charges (if any) will be revealed by the prosecutor at 6PM EDT tonight (about 30 minutes from now).

I'm not entirely certain that there will be charges filed; news sources have been known to be wrong.

However, we know that Murder in the First Degree is off the list, because apparently it takes a Grand Jury to recommend such charges in Florida. Also, the Death Penalty is off the menu as well.

Given the list of possible charges available in Florida, if I had to guess, I'd say he'll be charged with something like Manslaughter, "Unnecessary killing to prevent unlawful act," which is a 2nd class felony. If he cops a plea, he'd probably get a light prison sentence. Of course, he and the Home Owners Association and the city of Sanford will be sued to a fare-thee-well.

I'm just guessing, though. No idea what will happen.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

So I see. I also see he turned himself in and was placed under arrest.

Now, it is going to be interesting to see if those morons who think 'arrest' means 'found guilty and in prison now' will shut their stupid pie holes. I understand 2.2 million morons signed a petition demanding his arrest. Well, they go their wish. Of course, he's going to get a bail hearing and if he makes bail, I wonder what they'll howl about next. Booger-eatin' morons, the lot of 'em.

It is going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I am curious to see what kind of evidence the state has that the media doesn't know about yet. We'll find out, I'm sure.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I see. I also see he turned himself in and was placed under arrest.

Now, it is going to be interesting to see if those morons who think 'arrest' means 'found guilty and in prison now' will shut their stupid pie holes. I understand 2.2 million morons signed a petition demanding his arrest. Well, they go their wish. Of course, he's going to get a bail hearing and if he makes bail, I wonder what they'll howl about next. Booger-eatin' morons, the lot of 'em.

It is going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I am curious to see what kind of evidence the state has that the media doesn't know about yet. We'll find out, I'm sure.

History constantly repeats itself. Booger-eatin' morons have always had to wail and gnash and protest for something so simple as an arrest after an obvious crime was committed. And after the arrest, there have always been those who resented it. Whether it was Emmett Till or Amadiou Diallo or Trayvon Martin. The unarmed dead guys were never quite innocent enough for these droolin' troglodytes.

Well, a booger-eatin' Republican prosecutor thought better.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
History constantly repeats itself. Booger-eatin' morons have always had to wail and gnash and protest for something so simple as an arrest after an obvious crime was committed. And after the arrest, there have always been those who resented it. Whether it was Emmett Till or Amadiou Diallo or Trayvon Martin. The unarmed dead guys were never quite innocent enough for these droolin' troglodytes.

Well, a booger-eatin' Republican prosecutor thought better.

An arrest is not punishment. The BEMs in question were holding up signs on the front page of the local newspaper saying '44 days of NO JUSTICE'. Uh, an arrest is not 'justice'. It's one step in the charging process.

I stand by my statements. 2.2 fricking idiots who have zero clue how our judicial system works.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
An arrest is not punishment. The BEMs in question were holding up signs on the front page of the local newspaper saying '44 days of NO JUSTICE'. Uh, an arrest is not 'justice'. It's one step in the charging process.

I stand by my statements. 2.2 fricking idiots who have zero clue how our judicial system works.

By my lights, the one person who has "zero clue how our judicial system works", is in police custody. Where he belongs.

To add to this newfound encouragement, the justice department is standing by to indict GZ should a judge or jury forget that it's now 2012 America, and not the 1950's South.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To add to this newfound encouragement, the justice department is standing by to indict GZ should a judge or jury forget that it's now 2012 America, and not the 1950's South.
So your out for blood screw his right to a FAIR trial by his peers. If hes found not guilty lets just keep trying him until hes found guilty

Silly me i thought we were after justice and if the jurys says not guilty i guess they are all racists too like the cops.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm satisfied the investigation was more thourough than it seemed on the night of the incident. The prosecutor said in her press conference that she would not bring charges unless convinced byond a shadow of a doubt. I wonder what filled in the missing pieces for them, evidenciary wise.

If innocent, in the long run this could be good for Zimmerman. It would be better for him to be found innocent and have the cloud of suspicion removed. If he's guilty then he should pay for unlawfully taking a boy's life.

I do hope that the knucklhead extremist from both sides will let the law work. No more nonsense about threatening Zimmerman's life or rioting if a trial does not turn out to thier particular liking.

It is obvious that race is still an issue with far too many people, including both whites and minorities. The thrust of this story should have been from the start that an unarmed teen was shot and killed. The truth should have been found from there. That race became an issue is reflective of how deep the wounds of racism still run in this country.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish you were right but if hes found not guilty you will have the same wack jobs claiming the jury was racist white people that let him off. There will be riots in the streets like when the officers were found not guilty in the ridney king trials. I juat hope the prosecutor relly made her decision based on facts of the case and not outside pressure to file charges

I'm satisfied the investigation was more thourough than it seemed on the night of the incident. The prosecutor said in her press conference that she would not bring charges unless convinced byond a shadow of a doubt. I wonder what filled in the missing pieces for them, evidenciary wise.

If innocent, in the long run this could be good for Zimmerman. It would be better for him to be found innocent and have the cloud of suspicion removed. If he's guilty then he should pay for unlawfully taking a boy's life.

I do hope that the knucklhead extremist from both sides will let the law work. No more nonsense about threatening Zimmerman's life or rioting if a trial does not turn out to thier particular liking.

It is obvious that race is still an issue with far too many people, including both whites and minorities. The thrust of this story should have been from the start that an unarmed teen was shot and killed. The truth should have been found from there. That race became an issue is reflective of how deep the wounds of racism still run in this country.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, what specific additional information from the investigation gives you this satisfaction?

As a progressive, I am very concerned that the charges are being brought more because of public and political pressure than because of any additional information from the investigation. I certainly hope justice will be served, whatever the result.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By my lights, the one person who has "zero clue how our judicial system works", is in police custody. Where he belongs.

Seriously, I am not discussing this with you anymore. Your agenda is disgusting to me. You have no interest in facts or justice; you have an interest in Zimmerman being a racist murderer and will do an say anything to support your warped belief.

Latest Discussions