*** UFC - THE ART OF THE FIGHT ***

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score

• A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. A good martial artist does not become tense but ready, not thinking yet not dreaming, ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands I contract, when he contracts I expand, and when there is an opportunity, I do not hit, it hits all by itself.

• Now remember the enemy has only illusions and images, behind which he hides, his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy.

• The it, that you refer to, is a powerful weapon easily misused by the martial artist who deserves his faults.

• For centuries now, the code of the Shaolin Temple, has been preserved remember the honor of our brotherhood has been held true.

• Tell me know the Shaolin commandment number thirteen ~
13. A martial artist has to take responsibilities for himself and accept the consequences of his own doing

EXPLANATION:-

This entire scene is about letting go of who you think you are, your false image and worst enemy - EGO "To have no technique" - having no preference on what you THINK you can use in battle "There is no opponent because the word "I" does not exist" - he is free from HIMSELF "I do not hit, it hits all by itself." - doing what you have to do when the time is right (also, the natural trained reaction) "The enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives" - this screams ego more than anything in the entire movie, especially when Bruce gets in the mirror room, remembers this sentence and starts destroying the images of HIMSELF Do not focus on yourself or your enemy - focus on what you HAVE TO DO IN FRONT OF YOU

A GOOD FIGHT

Bruce Lee had many private challenges here are clips from movies portraying what it might of looked like......

* Bruce Lee vs Rolex Karate Champ -

* Bruce Lee vs Raja Muay Thai Champ Raja -

* Bruce Lee vs Jiu-Jitsu Master Wally Jay -

Author By - Sifu - Bruce Lee (Jun Fan Kune Do - J.K.D - Wing Chung - Ip Man)

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't really see what this has to do with mma. Also I've never bought into the whole. I have no technique stuff well yeah you do because even throwing a jab is a technique and this philosophy stuff yeah it sounds good in the movies but when it comes to a real fight you haven't got time to think of all that.

Also I wouldn't believe all this about bruce lees challenge matches either. There's only confirmed real fight he ever had and even the result is questionable

OP
FighterTwister

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't really see what this has to do with mma. Also I've never bought into the whole. I have no technique stuff well yeah you do because even throwing a jab is a technique and this philosophy stuff yeah it sounds good in the movies but when it comes to a real fight you haven't got time to think of all that.

Also I wouldn't believe all this about bruce lees challenge matches either. There's only confirmed real fight he ever had and even the result is questionable

Well we all take in want we want from any art I have always accepted and loved all of Bruce Lee stuff, I have all his books and sfuff that has been uploaded onto youtube.

This is taken from my notes on UFC - fighter Conor's position on J.K.D as a practioner and follower of Bruce Lee teachings and I'm just sharing part of it here, its one of the main reasons I'm a fan of Conor and Bruce.

Also on Bruce Lee challenges there is an old new paper article on this and a few web pages where I found some of those fighters claiming that Bruce Lee is the real deal, a while back.

As for the movie clips they would have had some sources as well to make the movie in some ways true to real life experiences that Bruce encountered.

Like for example the Wong Jack Man fight etc

These days its all found online as historical archives these are not my own personal views or twisted facts but true accounts of Bruce Lee's life.

So call me a Bruce Lee fan or whatever you like but I like all his stuff, it just fits what I like about martial arts.

So people get what he teaches some don't receive it at all, thats called choice.

Things I like for example.................

*** "Water becomes the cup

it can flow and it can crash

be water my friend"!. - BRUCE LEE - JKD ***

Defeat and/or Adaptability:-

* Is nothing more then lessons learned, an examination a study of self in the fight.

* A self assessment and corrected play of events in the fight and after.

* Thinking but yet observing patiently

* Concentrating but in a controlled calm state

* Playfully following the events but taking it seriously not against the wind

* Using no way as way and Having no limitation as limitation

* A process of learning while you fight the one in front of you

* Utilizing the save states of the Brain functions - E.g. Creative > Right and Logic > Left and when to
swap them and know the difference.

cZP2FFD.jpg

yn5HjyB.jpg

Another example..............

NOTORIOUS - CONOR MCGREGOR - FIGHT SELF ASSESSING SKILLS

Listen carefully..............

Not many fighters can process the actual fight in fight and after fight that quickly its a driven conscious effort and experience gained over practical application or better put the reasoning abilities formed over time, these skills get better over time as you put into practice.

Fighter's that do this start to collate, departmentalize their brain access functions and store data more efficiently

His brain NINJA skills so to speak!

I like to call it "Smart Fighters Sensory Skills"! (SFSS)

So I guess some people will embrace certain martial arts teachings and others will take it as a joke and call Bruce Lee fake and overrated. I'm not here to argue that you should like it but only sharing what I like and accept into my idea of the martial arts philosophies that I follow.

Another example is John Kavangh's from SBG GYM Conor's coach their philosophy is similar and broader in a sense.

Get his book here:- Win or Learn: MMA, Conor McGregor and Me: A Trainer's Journey eBook: John Kavanagh: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

TvCDtIX.jpg

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well we all take in want we want from any art I have always accepted and loved all of Bruce Lee stuff, I have all his books and sfuff that has been uploaded onto youtube.

This is taken from my notes on UFC - fighter Conor's position on J.K.D as a practioner and follower of Bruce Lee teachings and I'm just sharing part of it here, its one of the main reasons I'm a fan of Conor and Bruce.

Also on Bruce Lee challenges there is an old new paper article on this and a few web pages where I found some of those fighters claiming that Bruce Lee is the real deal, a while back.

As for the movie clips they would have had some sources as well to make the movie in some ways true to real life experiences that Bruce encountered.

Like for example the Wong Jack Man fight etc

These days its all found online as historical archives these are not my own personal views or twisted facts but true accounts of Bruce Lee's life.

So call me a Bruce Lee fan or whatever you like but I like all his stuff, it just fits what I like about martial arts.

So people get what he teaches some don't receive it at all, thats called choice.

Things I like for example.................

*** "Water becomes the cup

it can flow and it can crash

be water my friend"!. - BRUCE LEE - JKD ***

Defeat and/or Adaptability:-

* Is nothing more then lessons learned, an examination a study of self in the fight.

* A self assessment and corrected play of events in the fight and after.

* Thinking but yet observing patiently

* Concentrating but in a controlled calm state

* Playfully following the events but taking it seriously not against the wind

* Using no way as way and Having no limitation as limitation

* A process of learning while you fight the one in front of you

* Utilizing the save states of the Brain functions - E.g. Creative > Right and Logic > Left and when to
swap them and know the difference.

cZP2FFD.jpg

yn5HjyB.jpg

Another example..............

NOTORIOUS - CONOR MCGREGOR - FIGHT SELF ASSESSING SKILLS

Listen carefully..............

Not many fighters can process the actual fight in fight and after fight that quickly its a driven conscious effort and experience gained over practical application or better put the reasoning abilities formed over time, these skills get better over time as you put into practice.

Fighter's that do this start to collate, departmentalize their brain access functions and store data more efficiently

His brain NINJA skills so to speak!

I like to call it "Smart Fighters Sensory Skills"! (SFSS)

So I guess some people will embrace certain martial arts teachings and others will take it as a joke and call Bruce Lee fake and overrated. I'm not here to argue that you should like it but only sharing what I like and accept into my idea of the martial arts philosophies that I follow.

Another example is John Kavangh's from SBG GYM Conor's coach their philosophy is similar and broader in a sense.

Get his book here:- Win or Learn: MMA, Conor McGregor and Me: A Trainer's Journey eBook: John Kavanagh: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

TvCDtIX.jpg
Yeah because newspapers are always totally honest. Lee was a good martial artist but I wouldn't call him a fighter because he didnt fight apart from a debatable win against Wong jack man and a couple of street kids. That's not an insult some people just aren't fighters and he wasn't. Doesn't mean he couldn't fight but he just didnt because that wasnt his thing. If he wanted to he could've had boxing matches (I mean proper boxing not a school boy tournament) there were point tournaments he could've done there were options for him to fight properly but he didnt do it.

All the pro fighters saying how good he Is. It's speculation because no one ever saw him fight. All they have is demos and movies to look at. Sure he can throw good punches and kicks but when he takes a hard shot and he's tired and bleeding and hurt would he have e strength to dig down and keep going or would he crumble. It's easy to shadow box and hit bags but to actually fight is not easy and no one can say if he was a good fighte or not because there's no proof.

Fact is in a fight what matters is your technique your skill, your heart, your stamina and you toughness that's what determines if you win. Being able to quote a bunch of philosophy is great for class and fine to have that outlook in life but when it comes down to a real fight you can know all the physiology you want but if you haven't got the right attributes you're going to lose

Last edited:

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah because newspapers are always totally honest. Lee was a good martial artist but I wouldn't call him a fighter because he didnt fight apart from a debatable win against Wong jack man and a couple of street kids. That's not an insult some people just aren't fighters and he wasn't. Doesn't mean he couldn't fight but he just didnt because that wasnt his thing. If he wanted to he could've had boxing matches (I mean proper boxing not a school boy tournament) there were point tournaments he could've done there were options for him to fight properly but he didnt do it.

All the pro fighters saying how good he Is. It's speculation because no one ever saw him fight. All they have is demos and movies to look at. Sure he can throw good punches and kicks but when he takes a hard shot and he's tired and bleeding and hurt would he have e strength to dig down and keep going or would he crumble. It's easy to shadow box and hit bags but to actually fight is not easy and no one can say if he was a good fighte or not because there's no proof.

Fact is in a fight what matters is your technique your skill, your heart, your stamina and you toughness that's what determines if you win. Being able to quote a bunch of philosophy is great for class and fine to have that outlook in life but when it comes down to a real fight you can know all the physiology you want but if you haven't got the right attributes you're going to lose

I'm not a Bruce Lee lover, but I think this attitude is pretty sad.

Some will insist I'm a fantasists because I believe one can be a good fighter without a boxing or mma record and because while almost certainly exaggerated, word of mouth accounts can be believed. So be it.

But note the opposition doesn't have anything but doubt to bring. No proof is not the same as not true. And deciding that not everybody who speaks is more likely to be lying than not is not the same with inventing delusions.

This is especially true with regard to someone like Bruce Lee who has numerous demonstrations of near superhuman speed and skill still on video and who was able to demonstrate how his approach could improve upon that which was being done before him.

Btw we also know he fought Samo Hung.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

Some will insist I'm a fantasists because I believe one can be a good fighter without a boxing or mma record and because while almost certainly exaggerated, word of mouth accounts can be believed. So be it.

But note the opposition doesn't have anything but doubt to bring. No proof is not the same as not true. And deciding that not everybody who speaks is more likely to be lying than not is not the same with inventing delusions.

This is especially true with regard to someone like Bruce Lee who has numerous demonstrations of near superhuman speed and skill still on video and who was able to demonstrate how his approach could improve upon that which was being done before him.

Yeah they can be but we have no proof that he could like I said he's skilled but how do we know if he can take a punch or go a longtime fighting without running out of steam. We don't so maybe he could be good fighter or maybe not but either way there's no proof because he had no interest in fighting so that means he wasn't a fighter he was a teacher and a martial artist but if you're a fighter then you fight if not then you're a martial artist.

Everyone seems to take the saying they weren't a fighter as an insult. It's not an insult it's just a fact. I'm a bruce lee fan I've seen his movies and all the documentys about him but I'm not going to say he was the best fighter ever. Not everyone who does martial arts is a fighter. I'm not a fighter I know most of my teachers aren't fighters there's nothing wrong with it. Fighting isn't for everyone and it wasn't for bruce lee. That's not an insult it's just a fact. Bruce lee was very good no doubt but he could be beaten just like every single person on earth can be beaten

Bruce lee was a legend no doubt but his legacy has been blown up so much since his death. Like the whole he was father of mma...that's rubbish in the first ufcs it was style against style And it was like that for years until people started cross training and they didnt start doing it because bruce lee did it they did it because they worked it out themselves and I'm very much sure bruce lee wasn't the first to cross train either. Yeah he was probably the most famous who did it at the time but all this father of mma stuff is just dana white spouting out stuff to sell his product
Also no he didn't that was a movie

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fighter Conor's position on J.K.D as a practioner

Where did you read that Conor practices JKD? He doesn't. He does like most MMA fighters take techniques which work for him from any style.

Is John giving you commission for advertising his book? :)

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi M8 there are some threads out there stating that Conor has studied or trained in Bruce Lee JKD teachings and concepts of fighting with SBG GYM instructors.

A few Links:-

None of those said anything about mcgregor training Jkd the first 2 were just about the guy who trained mcgregors coach, the third was him just talking about bruce lee. Nothing that said he had any formal training in JKD. Mcgregors main style is boxing with a few kicks thrown in. Just because someone quotes bruce lee doesn't mean they train Jkd. Sure they may use the same philosophy but well lee wasn't the first to say that stuff either a lot of his phylosphy was taken from over people and he changed the wording a bit to suit martial arts. Read the book fighting spirit by bruce Thomas it has a quote from a famous phylospher and a quote from bruce lees book and it's almost word for word the same thing.

Maybe mcgregor is influenced by some if his concepts but he doesn't use Jkd as his training regiment

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi M8 there are some threads out there stating that Conor has studied or trained in Bruce Lee JKD teachings and concepts of fighting with SBG GYM instructors.

A few Links:-

Conor hasn't trained JKD or studied it in depth, just like most martial artists admires Bruce Lee and likes what he taught.
Bruce Lee may well be one of the most influential martial artists we've had so far but that doesn't mean that because you admire him you train JKD. Conor was a boxer first then went into MMA, his standup being Muay Thai and boxing.

OP
FighterTwister

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Thread is about the "Art Of The Fight" I couldn't think of a better title just used what was on my notes in regards to Floyd vs Conor about all internet claims of Conor and JKD but never mind me just trying to enjoy good thread creation with good content to discuss on.

This thread's intent was to look at a the art of fighting in:-

• Competition
  • Sparring
  • Street Defense
  • Tactics
  • Theoretical
  • Practically
  • Philosophical
  • Experiential
  • Artistically
  • Choreographically
  • Movement
  • Motion
  • Strategy
  • Technique
  • Mechanics
  • Entering and exiting
  • etc
It was to consider Bruce's theories and philosophies of a fight as you stop and think evaluate etc well was hoping to get more discussion on that in regards to peoples tactics etc

Similar to this book - MARTIAL ARTS PHILOSOPHY: THE ART OF STREET FIGHTING eBook: PATRHENRY PANTIG: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

Change the title if you guys want to something better initially I was thinking:-

Bruce Lees Pearls of Wisdom "Art Of The Fight"

But thought it was to long and boring.

Look I had an idea sorry it bummed out I didn't put much thought to it, I'm just having some fun here guys, killing time if you like LoL

If its not right then delete it, or a mod can fix it up either way no skin off my nose.

Just wanted to create some good threads topics with pics, articles, videos and personal knowledge or share tactics or discuss in detail whatever people wanted to share or contribute.

Although I always thought it was clever what Bruce Lee did putting messages in the movies.

Now I go and cry! :sorry:

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look I had an idea sorry it bummed out I didn't put much thought to it, I'm just having some fun here guys, killing time if you like LoL

If its not right then delete it, or a mod can fix it up either way no skin off my nose.

Just wanted to create some good threads topics with pics, articles, videos and personal knowledge or share tactics or discuss in detail whatever people wanted to share or contribute.

Now I go and cry!

Don't apologise! Your posts are interesting and make a very pleasant change from some of the posts we get from those who are permanently bad tempered and aggressive. Please do carry on.
The only problem for me is that a lot of rubbish is written about Conor. I know the gym in Dublin quite well along with John Kavanagh, he regularly send fighters over for UK promotions, often comes across with them and is a very welcome visitor. I remember picking him and his fighter Árni Ísaksson for one of our shows, had a pleasant trip to the venue, John is charming and very knowledgeable.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because if you don't need evidence then you can claim anything. This is a pretty simple concept.

Bruce lee could fight.

Who did he fight?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

• A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. A good martial artist does not become tense but ready, not thinking yet not dreaming, ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands I contract, when he contracts I expand, and when there is an opportunity, I do not hit, it hits all by itself.

• Now remember the enemy has only illusions and images, behind which he hides, his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy.

• The it, that you refer to, is a powerful weapon easily misused by the martial artist who deserves his faults.

• For centuries now, the code of the Shaolin Temple, has been preserved remember the honor of our brotherhood has been held true.

• Tell me know the Shaolin commandment number thirteen ~
13. A martial artist has to take responsibilities for himself and accept the consequences of his own doing

EXPLANATION:-

This entire scene is about letting go of who you think you are, your false image and worst enemy - EGO "To have no technique" - having no preference on what you THINK you can use in battle "There is no opponent because the word "I" does not exist" - he is free from HIMSELF "I do not hit, it hits all by itself." - doing what you have to do when the time is right (also, the natural trained reaction) "The enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives" - this screams ego more than anything in the entire movie, especially when Bruce gets in the mirror room, remembers this sentence and starts destroying the images of HIMSELF Do not focus on yourself or your enemy - focus on what you HAVE TO DO IN FRONT OF YOU

A GOOD FIGHT

Bruce Lee had many private challenges here are clips from movies portraying what it might of looked like......

* Bruce Lee vs Rolex Karate Champ -
https://youtu.be/RT6QDx_iR9Y

* Bruce Lee vs Raja Muay Thai Champ Raja -
https://youtu.be/a47-Acu28vc

* Bruce Lee vs Jiu-Jitsu Master Wally Jay -
https://youtu.be/Hz9NNagOdRE

Author By - Sifu - Bruce Lee (Jun Fan Kune Do - J.K.D - Wing Chung - Ip Man)
You do realize all those fights are movie fu right? Regardless of whether the man could fight or not, choreographed and scripted movie scenes do not serve as evidence of much.

OP
FighterTwister

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You do realize all those fights are movie fu right? Regardless of whether the man could fight or not, choreographed and scripted movie scenes do not serve as evidence of much.

Some people understand Bruce Lee and some don't posting everywhere he is fake and and made false claims about himself and even his own as per say were trying to shut him down.

Its been what nearly 50 years or so and his teachings and system is still being practiced - Jeet Kune Do Athletic Association » Sifu Singh

I only wish I could train with sifu Singh but his in Toronto and I'm on the other side of the world but they use all the knowledge that Bruce left handed down, books and movies with his hidden teachings and knowledge.

Here for those that think all is fake.................

Yep all fake LoL

Most people like yourself just dont have a clue or know what you are talking about. There are to many juice heads, stuck in the mud martial art wannabes LoL

Seriously how many black-belts can even really defend themselves in a street fight?

They don't have it in them they cant think quick or read a fight?

Aggh for get it m8 the internet, pfftt........ time for a beer LoL

Although this thread is now derailed and off topic, and I cant edit the thread first post to adjust and better explain the intent and purpose this needs to change so a post can be better improved or updated.

Why are they locked?

Don't apologise! Your posts are interesting and make a very pleasant change from some of the posts we get from those who are permanently bad tempered and aggressive. Please do carry on.
The only problem for me is that a lot of rubbish is written about Conor. I know the gym in Dublin quite well along with John Kavanagh, he regularly send fighters over for UK promotions, often comes across with them and is a very welcome visitor. I remember picking him and his fighter Árni Ísaksson for one of our shows, had a pleasant trip to the venue, John is charming and very knowledgeable.

Well thanks for your kind words sadly the internet is allot of fun but yep I agree the malice aggressive nature and temperament spoils the possible discussions you could have in a nice forum like this.

One of my other interests is gaming and flight sim forums they all go down hill and people make a mess because they don't follow a simple rule of life - "Live and Let Live" simply put leave people alone.

Just give people the freedom to be and allow them to just talk without jumping all over them.

Its not a perfect world but a little patience and tolerance goes along way in making friends online and then by listening you might learn more about the person and the subject itself.

Anyway no fuss no foul - cheers all

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people understand Bruce Lee and some don't posting everywhere he is fake and and made false claims about himself and even his own as per say were trying to shut him down.

Its been what nearly 50 years or so and his teachings and system is still being practiced - Jeet Kune Do Athletic Association » Sifu Singh

I only wish I could train with sifu Singh but his in Toronto and I'm on the other side of the world but they use all the knowledge that Bruce left handed down, books and movies with his hidden teachings and knowledge.

Here for those that think all is fake.................

Yep all fake LoL

Most people like yourself just dont have a clue or know what you are talking about. There are to many juice heads, stuck in the mud martial art wannabes LoL

Seriously how many black-belts can even really defend themselves in a street fight.

Aggh for get it m8 time for a beer LoL

Although this thread is now derailed and off topic, and I cant edit the thread first post to adjust and better explain the intent and purpose this needs to change so a post can be better improved or updated.

Why are they locked?

Well thanks for your kind words sadly the internet is allot of fun but yep I agree the malice aggressive nature and temperament spoils the possible discussions you could have in a nice forum like this.

One of my other interests is gaming and flight sim forums they all go down hill and people make a mess because they don't follow a simple rule of life - "Live and Let Live" simply put leave people alone.

Just give people the freedom to be and allow them to just talk without jumping all over them.

Its not a perfect world but a little patience and tolerance goes along way in making friends online and then by listening you might learn more about the person and the subject itself.

Anyway no fuss no foul - cheers all
Give people the freedom to post what they want without jumping over them?.....isn't that what you're doing...you give your opinion others will five there's.. Martial D said those movies are fake which they are they're movies no one has said bruce lee was fake.

But then you start insulting people saying they don't have a clue or calling them juice heads or martial art wannabes why because they don't have the same opinon as you?

How many black belts can defend themselves in a real fight...,I don't know without proof same goes with bruce lee can he fight? Don't know without proof. Those clips you posted are demos and training footage. No one here Is being aggressive but you post an opinon people post theirs back don't get upset because people don't agree.

Not agreeing isnt the same as being aggressive

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because if you don't need evidence then you can claim anything. This is a pretty simple concept.

Bruce lee could fight.

Who did he fight?
There was no question in my post that required a "because" answer.

I understand the scepticism, I just don't think it is necessary.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Evidence. Ha!

Latest Discussions