UFC 170 Roussy vs McMann - Thoughts?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.ufc.tv/video/ronda-rousey-on-ufc-170

I've been waiting for this match up for a long time. I've thought that Rhonda was simply at another athletic level when compared to her competition, but here is someone who has the ability to compete at that level. What do you think about this match-up?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Theoretically an Olympic wrestler vs an Olympic judoka should be a fair fight. My question is how deep the talent pool for female wrestlers is. My understanding is that in the judo world the women's divisions are just as advanced in terms of technical skill and athleticism as the men's. Is the same true in the wrestling world? I know nothing about women's wrestling.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is a very good question. I don't know much about women's wrestling either. I wish combat sports in General got more coverage during the Olympics. Anyway, I think Rousey might still have the edge because of the submissions. If it goes to the ground, she may come out on top.

That saidMcMann has the skills to keep the fight standing. If her striking is good, she could put Rousey away with some good shots. Tate gave some good shots and I think she's vulnerable there.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rousey-more seasoning against high level fighters, SUBMISSIONS, take downs
McCann-wrestling, strength

this wont be a walk, but it wont be an upset either, the talent pool in womens wrestling doesnt compare to judo, so being great there doesnt equal being great at judo for the women's division, IMO

zingano is the one with a real shot at beating rousey

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Didn't she just fight like last week? That seems fast for another fight. I don't watch much UFC so maybe I'm wrong but seems like Dana is trying to milk that cash cow fast before it burns out

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Didn't she just fight like last week? That seems fast for another fight. I don't watch much UFC so maybe I'm wrong but seems like Dana is trying to milk that cash cow fast before it burns out

Not really. She's in shape, didn't have to cut much weight, and didn't have any injuries to speak of. If she's looking for another paycheck, it's win/win for everyone, including her challenger.

The gap between fights is often medically imposed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. She's in shape, didn't have to cut much weight, and didn't have any injuries to speak of. If she's looking for another paycheck, it's win/win for everyone, including her challenger.

I guess if top MMA fighters got paid like top boxers she wouldnt need to fight every few months

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
plus, with almost 10 months between her fights in '13, I think she is trying to generate more buzz this year.

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://www.ufc.tv/video/ronda-rousey-on-ufc-170

I've been waiting for this match up for a long time. I've thought that Rhonda was simply at another athletic level when compared to her competition, but here is someone who has the ability to compete at that level. What do you think about this match-up?

I think McMann takes this one. She may not have top level striking but neither does Rousey. In fact I am incredibly suspect of Rousey's striking. She hasn't really needed it since her Judo chops are so good.

Maybe women's wrestling isn't as deep as women's Judo but I don't think that matters here. McMann has proven her wrestling is the best in the division, same as Rhonda has proved her Judo game is top notch.

I suspect this will be a back and forth catfight. The wrestling and Judo will cancel each other out and we will see who is the better standup fighter.

I'm picking McMann. IMO, she is more athletic and has been in some wars. Rhonda has been in some scraps but her last fight was the only one that made it out of the first round.

What is suspect here is if McMann takes this fight to the ground, will her submission defense be good enough to keep her clear of danger?

Should be a good, technical matchup if it goes to grappling which I bet it won't. I'm sure they will stand and swing.

UFC 170 is on February 22nd. It will have been nearly two months which really isn't that short of a time if you think about it. IMO the perfect amount of time for a great training camp is 7-10 weeks. Too much and you start to rust, too little and you're under-prepared.

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." - Anonymous

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I disagree to an extent. I think Dana is going to keep her busy, get as much out of her as he can because she is already doing movies, her and her manager are already making outrageous demands and she is a total loose cannon who is loosing fan base fast.

dana isn't dumb, work her hard for as long as he can. Also with two favorites basically done in Silva and GSP he needs the big names sing busy!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I disagree to an extent. I think Dana is going to keep her busy, get as much out of her as he can because she is already doing movies, her and her manager are already making outrageous demands and she is a total loose cannon who is loosing fan base fast.

dana isn't dumb, work her hard for as long as he can. Also with two favorites basically done in Silva and GSP he needs the big names sing busy!
I'm not sure I understand. I agree that there's a business case for cashing in. What I was saying is that the gap between fights is usually medically imposed. It's common for an MMA fighter to have a medical suspension or injuries following a fight. 30 to 60 days no contact is very common, including a mandatory CT scan and 60 days for any kind of knock out.

Point is, the gap isn't because fighters like to take time off. Rather, the gaps are because they're forced to take time off for medical reasons. So, it's not surprising to me at all that Rousey is ready to get back at it against another challenger. She wasn't injured in her fight and is in a perfect position to get paid while she's hot.

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand. I agree that there's a business case for cashing in. What I was saying is that the gap between fights is usually medically imposed. It's common for an MMA fighter to have a medical suspension or injuries following a fight. 30 to 60 days no contact is very common, including a mandatory CT scan and 60 days for any kind of knock out.

Point is, the gap isn't because fighters like to take time off. Rather, the gaps are because they're forced to take time off for medical reasons. So, it's not surprising to me at all that Rousey is ready to get back at it against another challenger. She wasn't injured in her fight and is in a perfect position to get paid while she's hot.

Of course all true! But a 2 month turn around is a very quick turn around at that level. Yes usually it's medical suspensions, etc that keep a fighter out of quick returns. But also it's a need for the body to have time to recover and heal, to gain back and sustain the normal weight, have enough time to for a proper training camp that is ramping up and hitting it's peak (physically) by fight time all while recutting the weight. This is why a solid 3 month training camp is pretty standard. It's usually not the fight that is overly taxing on the body, it's the training camp.

two months is very short and not the norm regardless of medical suspensions which can usually get lifts with a doctors note.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Rousey will take this one again. She is coming off a title defense win, probably has more confidence because of it and definitely more confidence within the UFC environment, plus I think she didn't like being taken into the 3rd round by Tate and will look for an early finish. I also think that even though her striking isn't great, she proved she is tough and can take a hit as she ate quite a few from Tate but carried on unfazed.

However, she does come across arrogant and cocky now and I disliked the fact she refused to shake Tate's hand so secretly I am hoping that McMann takes it as I feel she needs a defeat to try and calm her down and lose the spoilt brat attitude she seems to have.

On the note of a quick turnaround, I agree it is fast, 2 months inbetween fights, but I believe the UFC has done this before. I am sure someone will be able to correct me if I am wrong but didn't Chris Leben fight and win by submission, to then take a fight as a favour to Dana 3 weeks later and actually win by knock out? Although he may have had help *cough*

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know Rousey personally. Never met her. And, it's possible that the editors on TUF had some kind of axe to grind. But my belief is that she is tough as nails, very skilled, and bat **** crazy.

I think she's going to be the champ for quite a while, but once beaten, she'll go through a Mike Tyson-esque fall. That's my prediction.

They made this perfume for her:

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
neither of those support your claim of her making outrageous demands, or of her losing fans, or of her being a loose cannon.

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
neither of those support your claim of her making outrageous demands, or of her losing fans, or of her being a loose cannon.

Of course they do, and are you suggesting she hasn't lost alot of fans?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
actually, i would say that villians are always more popular than the good guys......good guys are boring. Her job isnt to have fans, her job is to get people excited about women's MMA by breaking arms and looking hot doing it, and like her or not, people are watching. she is succeeding as no one has before

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
actually, i would say that villians are always more popular than the good guys......good guys are boring. Her job isnt to have fans, her job is to get people excited about women's MMA by breaking arms and looking hot doing it, and like her or not, people are watching. she is succeeding as no one has before

Agreed. If she's accepted her role as the heel, so be it. Doesn't matter if people are incited to root for her or against her... As long as they're excited.

Latest Discussions