Turtle Defense/ Krav cover

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Your arms are too close to your own head. You give your opponent too much free space.
- The US anti-missile system should be set in Alaska than to be set in Washington DC.
- It's better to fight in your opponent's territory than to fight in your own territory.
- Old saying said that you don't want to touch with 10 ft pole. Old saying would never say that you don't want to touch with 6 inch stick.
- The farther distance that you can interrupt your opponent's attack, the safer you will be.
- As far as for self-defense, wrist gate defense > elbow gate defense > shoulder gate defense.
- When your arms are close to your own head, your opponent's head lock can lock your arms and head at the same time. That will be a bad situation to be in.

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't say I liked it. It's a defense for a fast barage of head shots. To be used before you are completely overwhelmed and KO'd.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Didn't say I liked it. It's a defense for a fast barage of head shots. To be used before you are completely overwhelmed and KO'd.
There is better way to protect your own head from punching.

1. A turtle uses his shield to protect his head.
2. A rhino uses his horn to protect his head.

IMO, 2 > 1

turtle.jpg

rhino_carton.jpg

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
When done with only one arm ( kickboxing cover), it's usually turned into a battering ram elbow straight to a pectoral muscle
We call that, " The Rhino Horn". It still works to a degree with both arms.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To apply "hair combing", one arm should be enough. In that clip, why did he use both arms to protect the right side of his head and leave the left side of his head open?

comb_hair.jpg

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
To apply "hair combing", one arm should be enough. In that clip, why did he use both arms to protect the right side of his head and leave the left side of his head open?

comb_hair.jpg

The main goal here is to protect the jaw/ neck and temple, and keep the head from racking when struck. The cross arm covers the temple and pulls the the head in solid so it won't rock when hit. A punch will sting your arm, probaly give you a headache, but you won't likely get knocked out.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always love supporting my Krav brothers and sisters, but this particular techniques is not part of Imi Lichtenfeld's Krav Maga system (unless someone from one of the Big Four organisations added it.) Not that it matters regarding the effectiveness of the technique, but there is a big push in the Krav community to keep it from becoming a system where people are bringing outside techniques in and calling it Krav.

I love the technique and use it frequently. I learned it from Panantukan, although it is in many systems. I agree that the arms don't need to be so tight. It is a very good defense for rapid head punches.

To make it Krav-like, the defender needs to immediately burst forward with a forearm to the opponent's throat or head. A Krav principle is to hit the attacker hard and frequent immediately after you are attacked. It's a cool technique and works very well when your peripheral vision sees something coming at your head (like when people were knocking out random strangers a few years back.) Thanks for sharing the video.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always love supporting my Krav brothers and sisters, but this particular techniques is not part of Imi Lichtenfeld's Krav Maga system (unless someone from one of the Big Four organisations added it.) Not that it matters regarding the effectiveness of the technique, but there is a big push in the Krav community to keep it from becoming a system where people are bringing outside techniques in and calling it Krav.

I love the technique and use it frequently. I learned it from Panantukan, although it is in many systems. I agree that the arms don't need to be so tight. It is a very good defense for rapid head punches.

To make it Krav-like, the defender needs to immediately burst forward with a forearm to the opponent's throat or head. A Krav principle is to hit the attacker hard and frequent immediately after you are attacked. It's a cool technique and works very well when your peripheral vision sees something coming at your head (like when people were knocking out random strangers a few years back.) Thanks for sharing the video.
It's always done with a forward lunge/step (bursting) and go right into striking and arm /neck controll. I like an elbow following with a forearm strike to neck, knee sternum, knee head, throw on ground. Mabye re stomp the groin.
I understand the desire to keep the Krav name brand respectable in the MA community, but I really don't get into style policing, lineage, or retaining the original purity. But since I use the name Krav, I keep it recognizable as Krav. Not boxing, MMA, or selfe defense , using all the same principles as brand name Krav, and most of the techniques. There are a few things we don't do, and a few additional things we do. I have know idea where the curriculem picked up this one though.

Last edited:

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's always done with a forward lunge/step (bursting) and go right into striking and arm /neck controll. I like an elbow following with a forearm strike to neck, knee sternum, knee head, throw on ground. Mabye re stomp the groin.
I understand the desire to keep the Krav name brand respectable in the MA community, but I really don't get into style policing, lineage, or retaining the original purity. But since I use the name Krav, I keep it recognizable as Krav. Not boxing, MMA, or selfe defense , using all the same principles as brand name Krav, and most of the techniques. There are a few things we don't do, and a few additional things we do. I have know idea where the curriculem picked up this one though.

I like the technique a lot and think it should be one of those universal techniques that are taught in most systems.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is really hard to move forward through punches if you have been caught out though.

By the way I think doing that if you duck your head at all you have probably just committed suicide(I haven't really played with it though.)

I would change levels. Head up.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

A style progresses through the innovations of its practitioners. Not its founders.

You can't compare one guy who invented it to the thousands of guys who do it.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
A style progresses through the innovations of its practitioners. Not its founders.

You can't compare one guy who invented it to the thousands of guys who do it.
Getting caught up in style is why I quit Tang Soo Do. It was practical at first but the longer I went, the more "karate crap" there was. I was told that a black belt had certain expectations from the TSD, karate crowd to be seen as legitamate. When working through a rather silly black belt kata, I asked a master " if this isn't that effective a way to drill our combat principles, why not do just do a better drill?" He said "it's just one of those things we do for sake of tradition" . So I quit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it’s a dangerous point in any art/system when proponents try to keep out “outside” techniques.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is really hard to move forward through punches if you have been caught out though.

By the way I think doing that if you duck your head at all you have probably just committed suicide(I haven't really played with it though.)

I would change levels. Head up.
Can you clarify your last two paragraphs? Either they are unclear or I need more coffee. Maybe both.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just have to say, this typo sent my brain off to a daydream of a MA school in a very upscale shopping center, marketing Selfe Defense right next to the Sandwich Shoppe. :p

Or selfie defense... that would be a system developed around the use of a selfie stick as a weapon.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
On the morning news today, a man fought off a gunman over his $1700 designer handbag. SELFE DEFENSE, training for sophisticated society.

Latest Discussions