Krav Questions

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered before but ever notice how a lot of BJJ/MMA schools (typically Gracie affiliates) tend to have a Krav Maga, Haganah, or FIGHT similar Israeli fighting art also taught on their grounds.

If done well I think this is a spectacular add on for practical/real world self defense in addition to the largely sport based MMA triaining one encounters.

I intend to take up BJJ/MMA when I get back stateside from my deployment to the Sandbox, and if there is a Krav/Haganah/FIGHT or similar course taught at whatever MMA gym I happen to train at, so much for the better. If I do find a good BJJ/MMA gym that doesn't have courses of instruction of that venue I'll just attend any Krav seminar that comes through my area (whichever garrison I wind up at next).

Knowing that not all MA seminars of ANY stripe are created equal, what are some recommended Krav seminars Krav vets recommend? If I find a good course at whatever MMA gym I train in, how can I discern if the course is a poorly handled add-on or something worth training in?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered before but ever notice how a lot of BJJ/MMA schools (typically Gracie affiliates) tend to have a Krav Maga, Haganah, or FIGHT similar Israeli fighting art also taught on their grounds.

If done well I think this is a spectacular add on for practical/real world self defense in addition to the largely sport based MMA triaining one encounters.

I intend to take up BJJ/MMA when I get back stateside from my deployment to the Sandbox, and if there is a Krav/Haganah/FIGHT or similar course taught at whatever MMA gym I happen to train at, so much for the better. If I do find a good BJJ/MMA gym that doesn't have courses of instruction of that venue I'll just attend any Krav seminar that comes through my area (whichever garrison I wind up at next).

Knowing that not all MA seminars of ANY stripe are created equal, what are some recommended Krav seminars Krav vets recommend? If I find a good course at whatever MMA gym I train in, how can I discern if the course is a poorly handled add-on or something worth training in?

Honestly, I never really noticed that many BJJ schools offering KM. In any case, I think that its good that schools explore other things. IMO, it can't hurt. As far as seminars go, KMWW (Krav Maga World Wide) which is headed by Darrin Levine, usually has a seminar listing on their site.

As far as the quality of what you'll find....well, that depends. I would look at the following:

Is the instructor who is cross training, actively doing it or did he go to a 8hr or 1 week "instructor" course, got a cert. saying he's "qualified" and is now teaching?

IMHO, re-certs are good only if you already have a solid background. So, for example, an EMT may have to go for a recert to make sure that their skills are where they should be. Now, compare that to the average Joe, with no medical background, who takes a course from the Red Cross. Is that same person capable of giving the same care that a Medic or Doc could? Of course not. Its something, its better than nothing, but if the person didn't know what the hell they were doing, keep them the hell away from me! LOL!

How does this relate to the martial arts? Lets say Instructor A, who has no BJJ or grappling background at all, goes to see Royce for an 8hr seminar. How much is he really going to be able to take back to his students? Not much. If he got certified to teach BJJ after that 8hr course, I'd run, not walk, as fast as I could from his school.

Now, same inst. lives near a Gracie school. He trains 2-3 times a week, with a BJJ inst. and spends alot of time on the mat. He brings what he's learning back to the school. In that scenario, I'd be more likely to train with him. However, I don't feel that anyone should be showing what they're learning from any seminar or camp, until they're qualified and know what they're doing.

Keep in mind, there is a ton of material shown at these things, therefore, its pretty hard, unless you're gifted and have a photographic memory, to remember everything shown. Instead, you'll walk away with a handful of things, things that you're probably still not good at. So, why would anyone want to teach something, that they themselves aren't good at? I've gone to a few Leo Gaje seminars. I take a few things, work them, and add them to my box of tricks. :) But I don't run around saying, "Hey look at this!"

So, in a nutshell, how will you know? You ask. Their answer will either raise a red flag or not. Keep in mind, that its YOU that will be paying cash to train under this person. I'd want to make sure the person I'm training under knows what the hell they're doing. :)

Mike

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, my friend. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the red flags you mentioned.

I definitely will take advantage of seminars as they go through wherever I wind up stationed next.

Is the instructor who is cross training, actively doing it or did he go to a 8hr or 1 week "instructor" course, got a cert. saying he's "qualified" and is now teaching?

One school I've heard of actually has a full time HAGANAH instructor 'on campus' so to speak. So I guess that's a plus.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, my friend. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the red flags you mentioned.

I definitely will take advantage of seminars as they go through wherever I wind up stationed next.

One school I've heard of actually has a full time HAGANAH instructor 'on campus' so to speak. So I guess that's a plus.

Glad I could help. If you check out the school, let us know how it is. :) As for the full time inst....I'm assuming this is someone who is just doing Haganah and not one of the other inst. who is crosstraining, at the school?

Latest Discussions